PDA

View Full Version : 'The Battle of France with 87 Sqn RAF' campaign released

dflion
08-07-2011, 08:31 AM
I have just released a 14 mission Hurricane campaign 'The Battle of France with 87 Sqn RAF' on airwarfare.com (link)
http://airwarfare.com/sow/index.php option=com_jdownloads&Itemid=53&task=view.download&catid=4&cid=135[/url]

See the FMB dedicated thread for pics and more details.

DFLion

Stiboo
08-07-2011, 08:42 AM
Oh Oh !

you are making me look very slow by churning out these campaigns...I have not even started my Hurri campaign yet!

This is exactly what we need to keep COD going strong.

I will be having a good look at your missions in the FMB to see if you've learnt any tricks I can use !!

Many thanks mate, I award you the DFC - Dinstinguised Fmb Cross !!

Simon

dflion
08-07-2011, 11:01 AM
Thanks Stiboo for your encouragement. I personally have three military medals awarded and of course I would really like to have the DFC.
I have a friend of mine with the real DFC, he is 92 years old and was an Australian Lancaster pilot with over 33 missions over Germany. I am currently trying to record his history.

DFLion

kristorf
08-07-2011, 11:11 AM
Cheers mate

Iamsnip
08-07-2011, 02:42 PM
Just Dl this will have a go tonight - thanks!

loeseth
08-07-2011, 09:16 PM
Hello and thanx for the campaign, which I have tried tonight. Problem is, soon after I am ithe air, the motor suddenly looses power. Any suggestions??

dflion
08-07-2011, 11:58 PM
Hello and thanx for the campaign, which I have tried tonight. Problem is, soon after I am ithe air, the motor suddenly looses power. Any suggestions??

Sorry to hear this problem loseth. Is it happening in all missions flown. I thoroughly tested each mission both flying manually and on 'autopilot' for last minute changes, everything was working ok on my rig.

It could be something you are not doing right in the Hurricane start-up procedure. Let me know how you are going? There are still a few problems in the sims workings?

DFLion

NedLynch
08-08-2011, 12:28 AM
Just flew the first mission and of course I didn't even get a glimpse at the recon plane :-D.

Nice airfield under the trees in a field, hehe.

As far as engine cutting out goes, it's probably the mixture, I flew the whole mission pretty much with a rich mixture (M-slider all the way up, right?).
If I leaned up the mixture too much the engine was cutting out, just lower your throttle to +3 or a little less boost with the prop slider in the up position (the low angle of attack for the prop blades) and look at your rpms when you change the mixture, if you make it too lean the rpms will start to drop, first just a little then dramatically. When they drop a little make the mixture just a little richer again and you should be there.

1C says look at the flames from your engine, if I remember correctly an orange flame means mixture too rich, a small blue flame is just right and long blue flames too lean (anybody correct me if I'm wrong), so you want to be just where the orange turns into blue and then a little bit more.

However I find the flames very hard to see, could only see them in F2 outside view from pretty much top down, zoomed in, somewhat when I leaned over to see the exhausts fom inside the cockpit, so I much rather go with adjusting for good rpms. Look at the screenshot in the briefing, P,T,M are all the way at the top at high altitude. Not sure why it's like that, one would think the higher I go the leaner the mixture has to be.

Blackdog_kt
08-08-2011, 02:03 AM
The mixture is reversed in all the British fighters (just like it was in the real ones): forward is lean and backwards is rich ;)

NedLynch
08-08-2011, 03:17 AM
So if the "M" slider icon is all the way at the top it means the mixture is lean?

Just answered that myself by trying it out again.
The prop pitch is also reversed.

And even worse they drive on the wrong side of the road! :D

dflion
08-08-2011, 04:38 AM
Wow, I'd love to hear any stories he's willing to share. Will you be putting this up to see when complete?

Sadly, all the WWII pilots are now getting older. I am hoping to record a discussion with him very soon and certainly , with his permission, share his story. He is a member of my local Returned Soldiers League.

My fathers last B24 crew member died last month, leaving my father as the only member left, he is 89. I have recorded some memoirs from my father, though he is not keen to publish them. He was a pilot with 21 Squadron RAAF, flying Liberators in the Pacific during WWII.

DFLion

Blackdog_kt
08-08-2011, 09:04 AM
So if the "M" slider icon is all the way at the top it means the mixture is lean?

Just answered that myself by trying it out again.
The prop pitch is also reversed.

And even worse they drive on the wrong side of the road! :D

Mixture yes, pitch is normal though:
lever forward=lower angle of attack of prop blades=higher RPM
lever backwards=higher prop blade AoA=lower RPM

The only aircraft (at least to my knowledge) where pitch controls are reversed (due to a bug introduced in a previous patch) are the 109 and 110.

ATAG_Dutch
08-08-2011, 11:25 AM

I haven't downloaded this campaign yet (thanks df!), but I'm assuming the Hurri's have the DeHavilland two-stage prop. If you try to coarsen your pitch, the revs will go straight down to about 2000rpm or less. Just a 'maybe' explanation.;-)

loeseth
08-08-2011, 06:33 PM
Thank you guys, it was the prop pitch that did it. I am fairly new to the sim, so I havent tried the complex engines settings yet - but when i did, the rpms stayed solid.
And thanks to Luthier for COD! I have flown sims since "the knights of the skies", on Amiga back in 1992 (or 3), and I think this one is the toughest of them all! I simply enjoy it.http://forum.1cpublishing.eu/images/icons/icon7.gif

ATAG_Dutch
08-08-2011, 08:02 PM
Downloaded the campaign today and flew the first two missions with full CEM.

I have to say that they felt much more like the early missions of a 'proper campaign' and mirrored the early situation in France very well.

I also got nowhere near the first recon a/c, but spent all my ammo on the second one and achieved only 50% damage.

I really must sort out my convergence properly, and remember to adjust the sight before shooting!

I'm looking forward to the next twelve missions and am hoping for a spectacular finale!

Thanks again DF! ;)

dflion
08-09-2011, 07:36 AM
Downloaded the campaign today and flew the first two missions with full CEM.

I have to say that they felt much more like the early missions of a 'proper campaign' and mirrored the early situation in France very well.

I also got nowhere near the first recon a/c, but spent all my ammo on the second one and achieved only 50% damage.

I really must sort out my convergence properly, and remember to adjust the sight before shooting!

I'm looking forward to the next twelve missions and am hoping for a spectacular finale!

Thanks again DF! ;)

Thanks for your feedback Dutch_851. I have attached some pics showing the 'nailing' of the recon. Dornier in Mission 1, it can be done.

There are a couple of spectacular missions near the end of the campaign.

DFLion

Ze-Jamz
08-09-2011, 07:37 AM
Excellent..looking forward to giving this a whirl

---
- Carl