PDA

View Full Version : Thinking about purchasing BUT.

lastchance
08-06-2011, 06:46 PM
This is my first posting here I do not have the game and are thinking of purchasing it but with all the negative posting it is putting me off.

Like some ones posting states six years in development ?

Even July/Aug issue of PC Pilot states there are still problems with running the game, somethings I can put up with like the bad AI incorect say skins or minor issues but if the game will not run well that's another issue.

I have just one question with all the patchs updates do's one have to goin Steam if so then I will give this a miss and stay with what I have already.

One last thing I have a high end PC and some 15 years playing with flight sims and this one looks so good but I just may not live long enough to see it in all it's glory.

Thanks for your time reading my post.

JG53Frankyboy
08-06-2011, 07:20 PM
there is no DEMO , so, you are the only person that can answer the question - but only after you have purchased it.

try to get a DVD version , perhaps a refund (if wanted) is easier than as with STEAM.

In general , is it worth it or not - you will get 50:50 answers here i would guess.

If you are a "combat flight sim" crazy pilot - buy it. Even with its limitations. At least it should run.

von Pilsner
08-06-2011, 07:24 PM
I have just one question with all the patchs updates do's one have to goin Steam if so then I will give this a miss and stay with what I have already.

It requires Steam.

smink1701
08-06-2011, 07:29 PM
Buy it. Add Jafa's sound mod and enjoy. It will get much better with future patches but if you are a WW2 buff like me, NOTHING elsecomes close. ;)

ATAG_Dutch
08-06-2011, 08:24 PM
If I was a cynical person (which I am), I'd wonder if the OP was an undercover 1C employee asking us what we really thought.;)

But whether you are or you aren't buy it now! :D

Langnasen
08-06-2011, 08:59 PM
Don't buy it until/unless you hear people raving about it here. If they're not after the next patch consider it 100% dead.

THIS POST HAS BEEN REPORTED 2 TIMES

jimbop
08-06-2011, 09:08 PM
Read the latest update post in the stickies. Just buy it...

JG52Uther
08-06-2011, 09:10 PM
Buy it, and enjoy the good bits. But, as said, you will need steam to run it.If thats a deal breaker then unfortunately CoD is not for you.

yellonet
08-06-2011, 09:11 PM
Read the latest update post in the stickies. Just buy it...
Agreed.

Rattlehead
08-06-2011, 09:18 PM
This is my first posting here I do not have the game and are thinking of purchasing it but with all the negative posting it is putting me off.

Even July/Aug issue of PC Pilot states there are still problems with running the game, somethings I can put up with like the bad AI incorect say skins or minor issues but if the game will not run well that's another issue.

One last thing I have a high end PC and some 15 years playing with flight sims and this one looks so good but I just may not live long enough to see it in all it's glory.

You have no choice but to go through Steam presently. If you still decide go ahead with a purchase, I think it's fine to go ahead and buy the game now.

A lot of the complaints are from posters who have had the game for months, and are quite fed up with certain things that they feel have not been attended to in timeous fashion.
But if you're a hardcore simmer (and it seems like you are) there is a lot to take in and learn and enjoy, before some of the issues like radio comms become an annoyance.
Hopefully by that time, MG will have started to fix these issues.

Put it this way: 1946 is regarded as the benchmark, and yet there are many people that, after playing Clod even in it's current state, can't go back to 1946 as it just doesn't seem as realistic to them as it once did.

jimbop
08-06-2011, 09:21 PM
Yes, good point about 1946, rattlehead. I think of it as 'the curse of CoD' since now I can't go back. The DMs are just so much stronger.

Chivas
08-06-2011, 09:24 PM
If your combat flight simmer. Buy it. Your investment will help insure we see many more years of new theaters and updates. I haven't found Steam to be a problem at all. It actually makes my life easier installing updates and checking my game files for errors if there is a problem.

NedLynch
08-06-2011, 09:36 PM
Buy it. Maybe to get a more detailed advice post some system specs.

I have Rof, IL2 1946 and this one and I can't help it, this sim is the best of them all in regards to how fun/real it is flying the planes.

As for performance, well, look at the update, it's going to improve and then it's going to improve some more in time. Content is a bit mehh....they need to add something to cater to the game aspect of the sim, i.e. dynamic campaign generator.

No problems here ever with running steam games, on the contrary it is rather convenient not to have to look for updates and patches but to get them automatically, all the games I have currently running are steam games with the exeption of RoF.

SEE
08-06-2011, 11:59 PM
I would recommend it. It runs pretty well on my duel core and there is more to like than dislike - my glass is half full and absolutely no regrets buying the Collectrors edition DVD vesrion.

ATAG_MajorBorris
08-07-2011, 12:38 AM
:confused:There is no point in waiting if you like the cfs genre...its been 6 years allready!

As far as steam goes, I wish the original IL2/FB/AE/PF/1946 had steam as the updates were redonkulous...

NedLynch
08-07-2011, 01:02 AM
:confused:There is no point in waiting if you like the cfs genre...its been 6 years allready!

As far as steam goes, I wish the original IL2/FB/AE/PF/1946 had steam as the updates were redonkulous...

Puss, is that you?

I bought IL2 1946 via steam, maybe you can register your version with steam and it'll update then automatically. Just a thought, I never tried registering a non steam game with steam, but the option is there.

Blackdog_kt
08-07-2011, 03:44 AM
You have no choice but to go through Steam presently. If you still decide go ahead with a purchase, I think it's fine to go ahead and buy the game now.

A lot of the complaints are from posters who have had the game for months, and are quite fed up with certain things that they feel have not been attended to in timeous fashion.
But if you're a hardcore simmer (and it seems like you are) there is a lot to take in and learn and enjoy, before some of the issues like radio comms become an annoyance.
Hopefully by that time, MG will have started to fix these issues.

Put it this way: 1946 is regarded as the benchmark, and yet there are many people that, after playing Clod even in it's current state, can't go back to 1946 as it just doesn't seem as realistic to them as it once did.

Pretty much my take on things as well.

The summary goes something like this:

1) Early adopters are either fed up with their personal pet peeve not having been fixed yet, or waiting patiently while adopting a "it'll be fixed in a few months, i'll play something else for a while" attitude, or swearing by it because they see some flashes of brilliance in it and consider the progress made thus far in the less-polished aspects acceptable and reassuring. In other words, it's a mixed bag and there's some pretty strong convictions going around that often lead to vitriol in the forums.

2) Newcomers are only just getting to grips with it. Depending on their patience levels and issues they might face, they are gradually gravitating to one of the previous categories. However, there's a lot to learn in the sim and this buys you quite some time before you can say you've seen all there is to see.

3) According to the recent development update, we should be getting reworked graphics and sounds two weeks from now in a beta patch, dealing with some stuff that's pretty high on the list of a sizable portion of the community.
After testing the patch for at least a week, maybe more, and fixing any potential bugs that managed to creep in, it will be released officially.
Personally, i'm more interested in corrections to the way some aircraft systems are modeled but according to the dev update this is next on the pipeline as well.

4) Content is not much in terms of missions/campaigns and MP servers are experimenting with the use of mission scripting, but just learning the ins and outs of the new way of flying, exhausting your amazement at the damage models and learning to manage your engines will probably take up more than a few weeks.

In other words if your PC has a reasonable chance of running it i'd say go for it, as the pace of upcoming patches is such that you will probably get new stuff to play with before you manage to get bored with what's currently included, or even come to grips with it in a comfortable manner.

For example, i spent about 6 weeks simply exploring the ins and outs of all the aircraft in the sim by flying quick missions and free flights, before even starting the campaign or jumping into a multiplayer session.

Ok, i'm a bit of an obsessive tester in terms of how things work in the sim and my experience is not entirely representative in this regard. However, i'd still say that
a) learning to keep your crate in the air at full difficulty settings
b) flying QMB practice missions to familiarize yourself with the aircraft
c) playing through the two stock campaigns
d) joining a few multiplayer sessions

will easily take up 4 weeks of your time, especially if you factor in other commitments in your life taking up your gaming time, by which point we might have new fixes implemented according to the development roadmap.

Bryan21cag
08-07-2011, 03:51 AM
Hmm well I would say buy it but not until after the next patch comes out :) It sounds like there are going to be a lot of major changes to major bits of the game and if you wait then you will not be left thinking well i liked this better before but these parts are better now and so on. :) For you it will be like a fresh start and what ever game it is after the patch will be your first look at it :) Just my 2 bits :P

Good luck

Cheers :)

gonk
08-07-2011, 03:56 AM
wait for the next patch and some feedback. At the moment I would consider it an Alpha quaility game.. too many bugs that are game stoppers... the sound stopping every 15 mins is just one...

klem
08-07-2011, 07:44 AM

If you are unsure, just hang in there and watch for the responses to the patches.

Of course we'd all like you to buy it now to support the game development, which we have to admit is its current state, but it's playable now, should be better in about three weeks time and should be truly great once its all ironed out. But be prepared for some more dev time for it to get there 100%.

You will have to use Steam. I never had before CoD and I was sceptical about it but it has brought me no problems whatsoever. It has the advantage that anyone playing on line has the same co-ordinated version, unlike the vanilla/official mods/unofficial mods farce that IL-2 1946 descended into.

finfly
08-07-2011, 03:25 PM
I'm wondering the same question, but there is several points I'm not sure while I consider myself a serious WWII air war buff. Firstly I loved European Air War but never got used to Il2 Forgotten Battles. Is here anyone who can compare EAW and this?
Secondly I'm currently very short of time, and will be to years to come -is it possible to get a grip of this simulator quickly and fly only short missions.

Finally I don't know whether my computer can run it. It's relatively new and because of lack of time to use it to the full potential I'm not going to update it in anytime soon.
My computer specs are:
AMD Phenom II X4 810
4.0GB Dual-Channel DDR2 @ 401MHz
896MB GeForce GTX 260

Should I buy it or not?

Tree_UK
08-07-2011, 03:40 PM
Dont go online with it if you install mods, you run the risk of being banned.

Blackdog_kt
08-07-2011, 05:26 PM
I'm wondering the same question, but there is several points I'm not sure while I consider myself a serious WWII air war buff. Firstly I loved European Air War but never got used to Il2 Forgotten Battles. Is here anyone who can compare EAW and this?
Secondly I'm currently very short of time, and will be to years to come -is it possible to get a grip of this simulator quickly and fly only short missions.

Finally I don't know whether my computer can run it. It's relatively new and because of lack of time to use it to the full potential I'm not going to update it in anytime soon.
My computer specs are:
AMD Phenom II X4 810
4.0GB Dual-Channel DDR2 @ 401MHz
896MB GeForce GTX 260

Should I buy it or not?

I used to fly EAW too back in the day, then i gradually switched over to IL2 and now to this.

Overall, EAW at full difficulty is about 70% of IL2's difficulty and IL2 at full difficulty is about 80% of the new sim's difficulty.

Of course, you can still adjust your realism settings to gradually ease yourself into the new challenges. If you want short missions you can simply use the quick mission builder that gives you some preset scenarios, you can select which aircraft to fly and what to fly against and you'll spawn in flight near the combat area. After the fight is over you have the choice of exiting the mission or manually flying back to base to land.

Keep in mind though that until revised documentation is provided by the developers, you'll have to take a look at various community resources and guides posted here to get you up to speed. There's a lot of depth in the sim that's not yet fully documented (to the point that realistic features and restrictions on certain aircraft have been wrongly thought of as bugs), it needs some "study time" to get the full out of it if you want to fly at somewhat higher difficulty settings.

You PC is mostly ok, just two things to keep in mind:

1) The sim is not very "friendly" to windows XP. Having a version of windows 7 (preferably the 64 bit version to get advantage of more than 4GB of RAM in the future) is the way to go. I used to dual-boot on mine and as time went by, i found out that some games i couldn't run well on XP were running maxed out with very good frame rates on win7, so i just stopped using XP altogether after a while.

2) The sim needs a lot of video card RAM. I have an Ati 4890 1GB which is among the most powerful cards of the previous directx10 generation cards and i run most settings at medium detail. I don't know if this will change with the revisions to the game's graphics engine (see the sticky development update thread for more details on that) as they are supposed to help gain some extra performance, but currently the general consensus is that the game needs 1GB of video RAM to perform adequately.

In any case, if you are using win7 i think it will run comfortably, you'll just have to turn down detail settings to keep the frame rates fluid.

finfly
08-08-2011, 05:47 PM
Thank you for your answer! Now it is even harder to resist buying it... And oops, didn't mention my operating system, I've been using Win7 since RC state, I take it as the one and only Windows.
May I ask two more questions. Would updating to Radeon 6950 2GB be total overkill? It might just in my budget. (I have to buy pedals too as my Saitek X52 is losing it.)

And what's about Steam being better? Quick search didn't give me an answer. DVD-verion is 20€ cheaper and I'm really old school when it comes to buying online-only products.

Rattlehead
08-08-2011, 05:54 PM
Would updating to Radeon 6950 2GB be total overkill? It might just in my budget. (I have to buy pedals too as my Saitek X52 is losing it.)

And what's about Steam being better? Quick search didn't give me an answer. DVD-verion is 20€ cheaper and I'm really old school when it comes to buying online-only products.

Overkill? No, not at all. It's a good card and I would recommend it. I think it can be flashed to a 6970 as well, if I'm not mistaken. Very good card for the price.

Whether you buy the DVD or download through Steam, it's the same game. Any updates will still be through Steam, and Steam will launch the game.

ATAG_Doc
08-08-2011, 07:12 PM
This title is pure erotica. Buggy yes but so is anything new.

jimbop
08-08-2011, 09:21 PM
Thank you for your answer! Now it is even harder to resist buying it... And oops, didn't mention my operating system, I've been using Win7 since RC state, I take it as the one and only Windows.
May I ask two more questions. Would updating to Radeon 6950 2GB be total overkill? It might just in my budget. (I have to buy pedals too as my Saitek X52 is losing it.)

DVD and steam versions are the same after installation. DVD version will still require steam and update that way. Whichever is cheaper...

hiro
08-09-2011, 04:38 AM
1. make sure you have a uber system

2. make sure you have a uber system

3. if you get issues, look here at posts where its a similar issue and people who have gotten the game to run. Some find it easier to cry than to spend time figuring it out

4. make a decision and stick with it. don't bother to let others make it for you. Use the forums for info, but you have to separate the lame from the useful (more so here) .

5. My general experience with steam is its better having the dvd. multi gig d/l take a long time and can be wonky.

6. When installing the game on windows 7, log into a true administrator account and right click the install and run as administrator (if the game install lets you some software just run straight from auto play on the CD). half of buggy window 7 software installs is solved by running as admin during initial install.

7. make sure drivers are update

robtek
08-09-2011, 09:47 AM
NO THINKING, NO BUT'S!!!

Real men buy the sim and tough out the problems!

Your decision: Fly with the eagles or scratch with the chicken!

:D :D :D

Screamadelica
08-09-2011, 12:20 PM
Chuck Norris would buy this sim!:)

unreasonable
08-09-2011, 04:35 PM
You may already know this but some people are under the impression that having Steam means you have to be online all the time in single player mode. Not so - you can play offline and only connect to Steam when you want to update or go MP.

Rattlehead
08-09-2011, 10:11 PM
Your decision: Fly with the eagles or scratch with the chicken!

:D :D :D

Haha...that should be printed on the retail box. Lovely.

finfly
08-10-2011, 04:19 PM
Thanks for all your replays. So I'm going to spend some hard earned summer money to a Radeon 6950. Hopefully my PC gets a new lease of life. Also CH Product pedals are on shopping list. It's expensive to be an WWII aviation buff - I should be doing insect collecting or something.:grin: