PDA

View Full Version : So this is what I don't get...

snwkill
08-06-2011, 03:46 PM
So I load up IL2 COD after a few patches come and gone, fire up a quick single player mission, after I get the controls mapped out on my x52... Turn off trees in the options, set some other stuff... get in running good take down a couple of planes, was actually impressed by how my wing man came zooming in from behind to actually help... So then I back out and figure "you know I might as well jump online and get my butt whooped a few times..." I figure since we figured out the sound issue I would find something going on....

And to my amazement, not one, not one single server popped up! Now I am going to check my IDS software and make sure I have IL2 in the exclusions, but a funny feeling tells me that isn't the problem....

So what really is it guys? The game isn't that buggy... Granted I am running it on a GTX590, but is that what is stopping the game really? Poor performance? The way everyone was talking you would think that it CTD's every 10 minutes... So I am just trying to get what you really really expect, (and if it is for the game to run at 60 fps on your 5 year old graphics card you should probably start writing on santa clause's forum and not 1C's) because from what I can tell there should be no excuse.

I was pretty impressed, but there isn't much single player value, and I am afraid there is this pseudo "this game sucks" atmosphere, that really shouldn't be there... We found a work around for the multiplayer sound bug, and that was the major gripe, so WHERE IS EVERYONE?

Tree_UK
08-06-2011, 03:57 PM
There is alot wrong with multiplay, obviously the sound issues and also the engine speeds seem to be well off, floating ships (in air not on sea), disappearing contacts, regular disconnections / lag issues, whether this is a steam issue or more bad coding no-one knows. It all mounts up to a frustrating experience - hence very few fly online. As an example two nights ago 22 people in the entire world were playing CLOD multiplayer, World of Tanks 38,000.

snwkill
08-06-2011, 04:20 PM
Yea that was really weird. I went in about 15 minutes ago not one single server. I come here and post... Then my internet goes completely out, couldn't get to google. So I reset my router and cable modem, poof 10 servers up... craziness... Well that makes me feel a bit better.

I was really upset that there was not one server up.

Some of what I say still holds true, if I were 1c I would completely cut off free speech from this forum and kick every person that complains. One post about an issue that needs to be fixed and the rest of the bitching canned.

It really is bad press when your own forums are filled with nothing but whiners, and you have to dig into subforums, or ubi's forum to find fixes to problems, like turning off trees fixes multiplayer sound. It was probably posted here but it also probably had 10 posts before it saying 1c sucks and 10 after it saying "where's Luthier?"

So here is my one suggestion to Luthier, crack down on your MODs, or give them permission to delete every thread that has the slightest hint of BS polls, and worthless whining...

You can start here and practice with mine ;)

NedLynch
08-06-2011, 04:22 PM
Here is what worked for me, after reading advice on this forum.

Make your own server for a minute, after that the server list should populate.

snwkill
08-06-2011, 04:30 PM
Appreciate the help guys!

Ohhh so there is other useful information buried beneath the whining ;)

logan3759
08-06-2011, 04:32 PM
It really is bad press when your own forums are filled with nothing but whiners, and you have to dig into subforums, or ubi's forum to find fixes to problems, like turning off trees fixes multiplayer sound. It was probably posted here but it also probably had 10 posts before it saying 1c sucks and 10 after it saying "where's Luthier?"

So here is my one suggestion to Luthier, crack down on your MODs, or give them permission to delete every thread that has the slightest hint of BS polls, and worthless whining...

You can start here and practice with mine ;)

Agreed 100+

snwkill
08-06-2011, 04:45 PM
Glad someone agrees...

I will be the first to admit that I got sucked into it as well.

I know the aviation community we aren't the types who get a plane from Lockheed and piss and moan when one of the systems don't work and say "well I guess we will just sit here until we get a new revision;" we hand the aircraft to our aviation mechanics and say, "here is the problem, and make it work we have a mission to fly in 3 hours."

Glad to hear some people are working in the community to find workarounds, but when they find a fix they need to be post #1, #2, and #3 on the MAIN forum. All whining threads/polls/where's luthier's need to be moved 5 levels deep.

As for me I am off to the Syndicate!

JG53Frankyboy
08-06-2011, 05:07 PM
if you want know why the multiplayer amount is not as much as the old IL2 (one cant compare games like WoT IMHO) , perhaps you will find here some reasons:
http://forum.1cpublishing.eu/showthread.php?t=23405

Blackdog_kt
08-06-2011, 07:01 PM
Thread topic is essentially "how to solve my MP connection/server browser issues" and has pretty much been resolved.

It's not about why or how MP is in the state it currently is. In other words, if a person is asking a valid question and you choose to reply, at least make an effort to answer it before seeing it as an opportune soapbox from which to repeat your personal causes of irritation with the sim.

I'm not singling out anyone, we can all be guilty of this at times. I just can't help but cringe when a user facing a very specific issue asks a valid question and all he gets is all kinds of commentary about why the sim sucks except the answer to his problem, often by veteran members of the community no less that probably know the answer but prefer to go on a preaching spree about their personal annoyances instead. What a lovely, welcoming attitude for bringing newcomers into the community :rolleyes:

I don't completely agree with snwkill on the matter of moderation and consequently that's not how i moderate, but you can see where he's coming from.

People are tired of having all the useful stuff that can help them get some enjoyment out of the sim buried under heaps of rubble, then they call us to bulldoze the place and to be honest with you, if the forum rules are in agreement we're pretty much obliged to: we wouldn't be able to keep a straight face as moderators if we weren't bound by the rules we're supposed to enforce or letting things slide all the time, because then it would devolve into a case of "you cut user X some slack, why not me?" and things would get really ugly after that ;-)

I've only been at this for less than a week and to be honest with everyone here, the amount of previously unknown usernames that have popped up in my mailbox expressing their boredom and indignation against the same dozen or so of posters and demanding action against them is bewildering. To put it simply, a vocal minority is upsetting the silent majority to the point that they are asking for stricter moderation on a daily basis.

Again, i won't single out anyone in particular, but i urge everyone to keep this in mind next time one thinks their personal, often repeated opinion is doing some sort of service to the community or represents a majority because according to my collection of PMs it certainly does not in most cases, it usually has the exact opposite effect and the feeling can be summarized to "moderetors, torches and pitchforks please and oh, we need it yesterday" ;-)

David Hayward
08-06-2011, 07:30 PM
because according to my collection of PMs it certainly does not in most cases, it usually has the exact opposite effect and the feeling can be summarized to "moderetors, torches and pitchforks please and oh, we need it yesterday" ;-)

It should be obvious by now that nothing is going to change without some action from the mods.

furbs
08-06-2011, 08:10 PM
yes, one action from the mods would please alot of people here. ;)

snwkill
08-07-2011, 01:01 AM
Again, i won't single out anyone in particular, but i urge everyone to keep this in mind next time one thinks their personal, often repeated opinion is doing some sort of service to the community or represents a majority because according to my collection of PMs it certainly does not in most cases, it usually has the exact opposite effect and the feeling can be summarized to "moderetors, torches and pitchforks please and oh, we need it yesterday" ;-)

I agree with you for the most part, and believe me there was time that if you guys started "cleansing" the forum, I would have been pissed... But that is back when FPS was at 25 fps max, and things were just generally horrible on a frequent basis. It has gotten to the point that most of the negative posts just aren't a true sense of the game. This game really isn't that bad, it has problems here and there... But the community is aware of them, the devs are aware of it.

Demoralizing behavior catches on quickly, and so does being upbeat and excited. I just think that it is time to clean up the head forum, that is it... When new players come here to figure out why no new servers are listing or why their sound went out in multiplayer... The first post they should see is "sound is buggy, luthier fixing it, this is the workaround for the moment," instead of more bitching with no solutions, especially for problems where solutions exist.

Blackdog_kt
08-07-2011, 03:23 AM
I hear you snwkill. I also think we should focus on keeping things functional and promote a kind of "laboratory" feeling for the forums, at least for now, to help people with workarounds and solutions for potential issues.

However, the technical sub-forums already serve that purpose for the most part. They also have quite the wealth of information accumulated already, it would be way too time consuming to move most posts in order to make things instantly visible on the front page and it would also make it harder for people who contribute in those threads to follow them as they slip below the front page of the forum.

I think the front page is more for posting stuff like "my campaign after action reports", "screenshot thread", "gameplay videos", in other words sharing our gameplay experience with others and discussing ideas to promote more interesting gameplay potential, or announcing events, etc.

It's just that in the absence of sufficient playing time accumulated by some in the community (for whatever valid or imagined reason), people took advantage of the fact that it's the most visible section to vent their steam there. I don't see it continuing for much longer mind you, for a variety of reasons:

1) We just got a solid development update.
2) I've been personally "stalking" potentially troublesome threads and posting cautionary recommendations on a just-in-case basis, if that fails posts are moved to the arguments megathread.
3) My patience will run thin at some point and judging from the amount of reported posts and PMs we get, i guess i'm not alone.

In other words, if two weeks from now we get the same craziness despite the fact that we just got an updated development roadmap, i can probably clear out the entire front-page of such posts and have a clear conscience that i'm actually acting according to what the majority wants and not out of personal whims :cool: