PDA

View Full Version : Were are the multiplayers ??

Simrax
08-05-2011, 05:43 AM
I just wonder, there are so many people active on this forum but very few are playing online. what is the reason?

NedLynch
08-05-2011, 05:50 AM
Waiting for the.....dare I say it?....patch...there I said it, burn me, quarter me and and gouge my eyes out.....with a dull spoon.

A lot of people it seems are waiting for the game to be better optimized so they can run it in a satisfactory way on their comps.

Bobb4
08-05-2011, 06:20 AM
Yeah, we at 69.GIAP are working on an online campaign (co-op) but numbers flying are an issue. 20 plus at the most.
I would also say it is the community waiting for "THE PATCH" that stabalises the game enough to make online fun.
Once that is released things will dramatically improve.
Give it time things are coming down the line that will blow your socks off. ;-)

slm
08-05-2011, 07:15 AM
Are there any easy servers where people new to this game could start trying multiplay?

For IL2 there were servers with many kinds of settings from easy to "full real". I think CoD multiplayer servers would become more popular if some servers had easy settings like Complex Engine Management off - or is it even possible? You could just start the engine and take off. IMO now CEM with the huge amount of controls takes so much effort it's more like flying MS Flight Simulator series than IL2.

Blackdog_kt
08-05-2011, 11:09 AM
Generally speaking, i think that even after a potential super-patch that might correct everything that's wrong with the sim, people might still be slow to pick up new habits.

I think that's the main reason, IL2 had a good run through the years, so everyone expects CoD to be IL2 with better graphics and some flight/damage model improvements.
CoD however is not that (and believe it or not, many actually like the change) and the departure from a long-ago established way of doing things is getting some people confused, some others annoyed and some even plain averse to learning a new way to do the same thing.

There are certain functionality issues and bugs but that's not what i'm referring to. As far as i'm concerned, even when the game is 100% functional there will still be some time before things pick up because people are simply lazy to learn new tricks :-P

As for the question that will invariably pop up in such a discussion ("if it works why change it?"), the answer is again simple: to be able to do more in the future and not limit the game's engine to exactly the same capabilities as its predecessor.

Some added complexity is unavoidable in this regard.

Phazon
08-05-2011, 11:30 AM
Waiting for the.....dare I say it?....patch...there I said it, burn me, quarter me and and gouge my eyes out.....with a dull spoon.

A lot of people it seems are waiting for the game to be better optimized so they can run it in a satisfactory way on their comps.

This. That and I like having trees AND sound when I play. ;)

slm
08-05-2011, 11:39 AM
There are certain functionality issues and bugs but that's not what i'm referring to. As far as i'm concerned, even when the game is 100% functional there will still be some time before things pick up because people are simply lazy to learn new tricks :-P

Some added complexity is unavoidable in this regard.

It's not just being lazy. People may do things according to some checklist/whatever_instructions, yet things don't just work like they should. So *something* is wrong in engine management and you have no idea what. I think if this game series wants to become as succesful as IL2, developers should study what kind of problems new users are having and try to some how remove those obstacles. Adding more advanced features is not going to help if players see the game unplayable because of technical problems or some things are difficult enough to use.

I have no idea of what kind of goals the developers have: do they want to create the next IL2 or some very advanced, but less popular game.

klem
08-05-2011, 12:22 PM
Are there any easy servers where people new to this game could start trying multiplay?

For IL2 there were servers with many kinds of settings from easy to "full real". I think CoD multiplayer servers would become more popular if some servers had easy settings like Complex Engine Management off - or is it even possible? You could just start the engine and take off. IMO now CEM with the huge amount of controls takes so much effort it's more like flying MS Flight Simulator series than IL2.

When you look at the list of servers in Multiplayer.... Client... [Internet] you can click on Realism to see what's on offer on that server.

slm
08-05-2011, 12:48 PM
Thanks for the tip. Server filtering on this same screen seems to be the fastest way of finding suitable servers. Using it it was quick to see that all servers had CEM enabled :(
Oh well...

jojovtx
08-05-2011, 02:37 PM
You practice for multiplay offline. That way you are somewhat competent in your aircraft prior to trying online. If you buy the game and fire up online you will cuss it an quit. I don't recommend shooting oneself in the foot. Online is the only way to fly. As far as I'm concerned the IL2 series does not even have a PVE or offline campaign/content. It's all about the online combat and missions with/against other players.

As far as where I'm at, I'm at work waiting to get home and fly online.

FFCW_Urizen
08-05-2011, 02:40 PM
Thanks for the tip. Server filtering on this same screen seems to be the fastest way of finding suitable servers. Using it it was quick to see that all servers had CEM enabled :(
Oh well...

i recommend you fly with CEM and temp effects enabled, let´s say you´ll fly a few sorties with that off, you get used to it that you just have to adjust the throttle. Soon you decide you wanne get into the real thing. so now you not just have to adjust the throttle, but also proppitch, water-/oilrads and mixture.
at first its complex and weird, but after a time, when you know your plane, you don´t even look anymore at the instruments, you just know you have the right settings (ok, i´m still a bit away of that) ;) .

slm
08-05-2011, 03:43 PM
For some reason when trying to fly CEM on, Spit engine does not start. Or it does, but stops after few seconds. I've tried more than one set of instructions (like those seen in recent Freycient's Spits vs Me109s video) and it just doesn't work. So you can't really practise CEM when the plane stays on ground. And based on comments I've read here in forums, I'm not the only one with these problems.

Welshman
08-05-2011, 03:56 PM
spit starts first time and stays running if you start it correctly

first switch on the fuel cock
set 15% -20% throttle
press i

it wont rev untill its about 60 degree on water temp , if you try it will cut out .

remember to open the rad once up to temp

FFCW_Urizen
08-05-2011, 04:09 PM
water temp isn´t as important as it´s the oiltemp, which has to reach at least 35° (goes for the hurri as well) and for me the spit starts with 10% throttle as well, but 15% to 20% allows for faster warmup.

slm
08-05-2011, 04:31 PM
With those tips I was able to start the engine of SpitII, take off and land. I don't know if earlier the problem was using wrong amount of throttle. Still need to do the same with SpitI, but thanks a LOT guys!

SiThSpAwN
08-05-2011, 04:37 PM
With those tips I was able to start the engine of SpitII, take off and land. I don't know if earlier the problem was using wrong amount of throttle. Still need to do the same with SpitI, but thanks a LOT guys!

It is pretty satisfying when you get the CEM figured out, I am still trying to find my way around the maps on the hardcore servers, but I guess it just takes air time to get yourself up to speed, untill then I just keep getting lost lol...

FFCW_Urizen
08-05-2011, 04:42 PM
oh, yeah, navigation, i don´t know how many times i got lost on r1 and that was just a quick inet check flight :mrgreen: .

CaptainDoggles
08-05-2011, 05:48 PM
It is pretty satisfying when you get the CEM figured out, I am still trying to find my way around the maps on the hardcore servers, but I guess it just takes air time to get yourself up to speed, untill then I just keep getting lost lol...

Navigation is easy once you get the hang of it.

Let's say you get lost on the big Channel map. There are a number of steps you should take to get your bearings.

Are you flying Blue or Red, and are you over friendly territory or enemy territory? Easy way to narrow down your location to either France or England, right away cutting off half the map.
Can you see the coast? Fly towards it. If you're over France, the coast is generally NW of you. If you're over England, the coast is generally SE of you. If you're over the Channel, England is usually north, and France is usually south.
Open your map and take note of which direction you are flying.You're going to be looking at landmarks, so make it easy on yourself by being able to know which direction that river runs, and which direction that forest seems to point.
Look for landmarks, starting with the most obvious and moving to the most subtle. Firstly, look for the big peninsulas, like Dungeness (near Folkestone) or Wissant (near Calais). Look for easily-identifiable coastlines like the little nook near Ramsgate, or Abbeville. Airfields next, most of them are quite unique. Then look for cities, some of them have distinguishing landmarks, like the circular island in downtown Calais or the hook-shaped peninsulas at Dover and Folkestone. You should have a relatively decent idea of where you are now. For more precision you can move on to roads and forests.
Once you find a landmark that you can identify positively, then you just look at where you are relative to it."That looks like the airfield north of Folkestone, and I'm flying 090, and it's at my 2 o'clock, so I therefore must be a bit NW of Folkestone. Somewhere in my 5 o'clock region must be the Dungeness peninsula."

SiThSpAwN
08-05-2011, 05:51 PM
Thanks for the tips, it really wasnt a complaint as much as it was just new to me, I will get the hang of it, just take some time to learn the environment is all. :)