PDA

View Full Version : Multiplayer Participation

Mr Logic
08-05-2011, 12:55 AM
This evening I had cause to attempt to indulge in a nefarious and often unreliable pastime colloquially referred to as 'online play'.

Unfortunately throughout the entire aborted exercise, lasting upwards of twenty minutes' total duration, I noted that a grand total of twelve people across the globe were of similar mind and/or inclination.

This observation occured at 1.00am British Summer Time (BST), consequently at a time at which the easternmost regions of the American Continent could be considered as being at their most active as regards their propensity to indulge in such activities via the 'world wide web'..

Could any members of this forum offer any plausible hypothesis/hypotheses as to the possible reason/s for this evident lack of global interest?

I trust that all responses to this query will be polite in tone and substantive in content, as is appropriate for reliable analysis of collective opinion.

Das Attorney
08-05-2011, 01:11 AM
I can only speak for myself, but none of the servers I''ve seen allow the Spit II (because apparently the FM is not completely porked).

So the choice for me is either to fly as Spit I (totally slow and frustrating) or as Me109 and trounce the completely under modelled Spit I. Not really my idea of fun so far.

Not really interested in Hurri, Bf110 or bombers.

I guess people have many different reasons (sound bugs, shoddy performance etc)

Not meaning to be negative - just how I feel at the mo.

Bryan21cag
08-05-2011, 01:31 AM
LOL im embarrassed to say but i still haven't figured out how to start a session :) I was never much of an online guy i always just did Offline flying with IL2 46 so that may explain why I am unfamiliar with how to actually join a fight.

I am able to join servers that seem to be active because they let me join but then i cant get off the map screen lol :) My guess is that the FLY button maybe doesn't show up until a certain number of people join or something but i always give up after a few min of trying :)

Also for me I still have not figured out how to use all of the engine management controls and having them turned off i think is still broken so this also hampers me even if i could get in :) Not sure how easy it is to use these controls by clicking them in the cockpit but every time i try and bind Mixture/Radiator etc. to my Joystick it doesn't work properly.

Here is hope for the future chaps:)

Cheers

bw_wolverine
08-05-2011, 01:33 AM
I can only speak for myself, but none of the servers I''ve seen allow the Spit II (because apparently the FM is not completely porked).

So the choice for me is either to fly as Spit I (totally slow and frustrating) or as Me109 and trounce the completely under modelled Spit I. Not really my idea of fun so far.

Not really interested in Hurri, Bf110 or bombers.

I guess people have many different reasons (sound bugs, shoddy performance etc)

Not meaning to be negative - just how I feel at the mo.

I've taken down at least 3 player flown 109s in a Spit 1a. If you know its strengths and weaknesses, you can do just fine in it. Just don't be goaded into playing 'their' game (the 109s). Engage when its favorable and prepare favorable conditions.

Das Attorney
08-05-2011, 01:40 AM
Yeah, I'm okay with the gunnery side, but flying Spit I/Ia feels like driving a bus to me. Not knocking it though - if you can have a good time then I'm pleased for you.

It's mega frustrating for me though!

ATAG_Dutch
08-05-2011, 01:45 AM
If I understand this right, the bloke is asking why there aren't many people playing online following the american release.

Twelve people does seem a bit on the low side.

LoBiSoMeM
08-05-2011, 01:52 AM
The few times I go online I kill a lot with this "porked" Spit I...

Das Attorney
08-05-2011, 01:54 AM
Again - good for you if you're getting on with it okay :)

I was giving my reason why I don't play online much. Hope I'll feel different as the game is developed.

Targ
08-05-2011, 02:09 AM
What we need is a dedicated server and hyperlobby :)

RCAF_FB_Orville
08-05-2011, 02:31 AM
If I understand this right, the bloke is asking why there aren't many people playing online following the american release.

Twelve people does seem a bit on the low side.

LMAO....Look at his Avatar mate, its Newcastle's 'Viz Magazine's character 'Mr Logic', an utterly humourless, irritating pedagogue who constantly takes everything literally; a stickler for rules and regulations too which usually results in him getting his head kicked in by the irate 'normal' people whom he annoys. :grin:

See here for the gen.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mr_Logic

I think we have all encountered his like at some point. Especially in Forumland, *nudge nudge, wink wink*. :grin:

Quite a funny troll, but I can see it wearing thin after a while. :grin:

ElAurens
08-05-2011, 02:44 AM
What we need is a dedicated server and hyperlobby :)

This X 10000000000000000000000000000000000

Oh, and it would be nice if the game was more than about 30% functional as well.

Currently, and I'm sad to have to say this as I love the online aspect, but CloD is just not worth the effort to log on.

Targ
08-05-2011, 02:48 AM
This X 10000000000000000000000000000000000

Oh, and it would be nice if the game was more than about 30% functional as well.

Currently, and I'm sad to have to say this as I love the online aspect, but CloD is just not worth the effort to log on.

+1/ Ditto

I am hopeful in the future we have much more offline and online options than we do now. Other than a spin around the country side there is not much else to do in my opinion.

furbs
08-05-2011, 06:26 AM
CO-OPs....we need them.

its baffling to me they are not in cod.

robtek
08-05-2011, 06:39 AM
But they are in CoD, just a bit different and undocumented, as mentioned in some threads already.

klem
08-05-2011, 07:05 AM
LMAO....Look at his Avatar mate, its Newcastle's 'Viz Magazine's character 'Mr Logic', an utterly humourless, irritating pedagogue who constantly takes everything literally; a stickler for rules and regulations too which usually results in him getting his head kicked in by the irate 'normal' people whom he annoys. :grin:

See here for the gen.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mr_Logic

I think we have all encountered his like at some point. Especially in Forumland, *nudge nudge, wink wink*. :grin:

Quite a funny troll, but I can see it wearing thin after a while. :grin:

The answer to Mr Logic's question is not to be gained from the many 'I can play on line' posts that have been made. Such posts are off topic and logically fail to meet Mr Logic's needs.

I must however point out that on-line play is not nefarious although it could be said to be unreliable at times.

To be a little more pedantic and to answer his specific question there have been in excess of 50 players at times on the Syndicate server which would appear of late to be the most popular followed by the Repka Full Realism server. There are a number of servers which are not 'full real' that are also quite popular at the right time.

Regarding Mr Logic's general claims regarding the popularity of on-line play I would point out that 1 a.m. UK time will see most UK players in bed and is 5pm West Coast to 8pm East Coast. This may represent a fairly quiet time in the USA as many players may not commence play until their local time of 8p.m.. May I suggest Mr Logic looks in earlier in the UK evening or later in the U.K. early hours so as to capture a more popular play time for UK or the U.S.A. respectively.

In summary, Mr Logic's checking of on-line play for popularity at 1 a.m. UK time is not logical, Captain Kirk.

Mr Logic
08-05-2011, 11:23 AM
I must however point out that on-line play is not nefarious although it could be said to be unreliable at times.

The misuse of the word 'wicked' to describe an event or object from which one can derive pleasure is a modern idiom widely accepted by the lesser educated, consequently usage of the word 'nefarious' in this context is wholly appropriate.

Phazon
08-05-2011, 11:27 AM
CO-OPs....we need them.

its baffling to me they are not in cod.

Honestly its baffling that there was no effort on the developer's part to provide a set of fun missions showing off the real capabilities of the new engine - particularly showcasing the advantages of allowing AI in dogfight/respawn type missions. I know the community is a talented bunch but frankly they will only be able to go so far without documentation.

JG52Uther
08-05-2011, 11:50 AM
except everyone starting at exact same time.

The definition of a coop...

klem
08-05-2011, 12:03 PM
The misuse of the word 'wicked' to describe an event or object from which one can derive pleasure is a modern idiom widely accepted by the lesser educated, consequently usage of the word 'nefarious' in this context is wholly appropriate.

You are already off on an illogical side-track. I am not discussing the organic nature of the English language, merely pointing out that the practice of on-line gaming is neither nefarious nor 'wicked' in its original sense.

But enough Troll feeding.

JG53Frankyboy
08-05-2011, 01:09 PM
not to forgett that the new FullMissionBuilder just looks like the old one. If you go deeper, just to put a missiongoal, you have to programm some code.

And that with almost no official documantation. CHAPEAU to all the communitiy mamber who are going behind that stull and are trying to help !!
I, as example, have stopped (after the first 2-3 weeks) building anything - after hundreds of COOPs for the VOW online war.

BUT, that is limiting the online play - because you need missions for that.

In 2001 with IL2 release there were working COOPs and the Hyperlobby - after 4 month after its release i had plenty of online coop missions in my logbook.
To ad, inm these time there wehre no deticated server and no serverscripts available !
That came later.

So, i guess, it needs more time till a more massive onlineplay will happen.

As an example (not as an comparison !) , RoF has after now 2 years of release also no massive onlineplay . I guess, in some part its also very complex FMB is not unguilty...with other engine related limitations.
Overcomplex stuff, reduces the amount of people who can handle these things.