PDA

View Full Version : Please don't argue, just look, listen and appreciate your life...

retrojet
08-02-2011, 03:33 AM
:!:

If you have access to the military/history channel ( or your local equivalent )
...take a moment to watch one of the programs and then think about how much has been sacrificed throughout history, so that you can be... Whoever your are... And do, whatever you do... under the banner of freedom!!!

Yer, I know " what a stupid, sappy bastard"...

So what... Say what you like! Everyday, I appreciate what they did, friend and foe, believing in their cause...
My uncle was killed 14th April, 1945, aged 24... Buried in Becklingen War Cemetary. My dad never got over it... Just like millions of others...

But, when I read some of the vitriol and personal attacks over a $50, 21st century toy for boys, well, You show your true colors/colours...

Get real!

Imagine, putting you lot in the same room, with a few free beers... By the end of the night I know damn well, you would all be slapping each other on the back, and the best of friends... Even the guys who did it for real get together still... what's left of them... They would frown on the attitudes in here, I'm sure...

Enjoy the life your mother's gifted you! I bet you've all seen the end of 'Saving Private Ryan'? If any of you don't find that emotional, then you are primed to tear this thread apart... Go on, do it!
But, at least I respect the the guys who fought and died so you can!

It takes a sane man to kill for the right cause, it takes an insane man to kill, because he can...

Hit me! :twisted:

And yes, I'm self-righteous bastard!

And many other things as we're about to find out!
;)

CaptainDoggles
08-02-2011, 04:27 AM
By the same token, simply saying "our fathers and grandfathers died so that we could live free" does not mean we have to sit still and be quiet.

They also fought for our right to stand up and be heard.

Quite frankly I and others feel that our trust is being abused. Could you imagine the media sh**storm that would develop if Activision released Battlefield 3 in a cripplingly unfinished state with glaring bugs, and then refused to provide the community with information about development progress/status?

It'd be insane. The only reason 1c/Maddox can get away with it is that this community is small and the media largely does not care about flight sims.

There's a lot of whining/flaming going on here that is unwarranted. But there's also a lot of frustration/uncertainty that is completely, 100% justified, and to stand up and basically say "Sit down and shut up, because you didn't fight in WW2" is (IMHO) in poor taste.

CWMV
08-02-2011, 04:29 AM

...take a moment to watch one of the programs and then think about how much has been sacrificed throughout history, so that you can be... Whoever your are... And do, whatever you do... under the banner of freedom!!!

So what... Say what you like! Everyday, I appreciate what they did, friend and foe, believing in their cause...
My uncle was killed 14th April, 1945, aged 24... Buried in Becklingen War Cemetary. My dad never got over it... Just like millions of others...

But, when I read some of the vitriol and personal attacks over a $50, 21st century toy for boys, well, You show your true colors/colours...

Get real!

Imagine, putting you lot in the same room, with a few free beers... By the end of the night I know damn well, you would all be slapping each other on the back, and the best of friends... Even the guys who did it for real get together still... what's left of them... They would frown on the attitudes in here, I'm sure...

Enjoy the life your mother's gifted you! I bet you've all seen the end of 'Saving Private Ryan'? If any of you don't find that emotional, then you are primed to tear this thread apart... Go on, do it!

It takes a sane man to kill for the right cause, it takes an insane man to kill, because he can...

;)

While I think I understand the sentiment of your post, I fail to see what it has to do with the disappointment experienced by the unfortunate consumers who are unhappy with this product.
please explain?
:confused:

David Hayward
08-02-2011, 04:35 AM
Another candidate for the "bitch and whine" thread...

CaptainDoggles
08-02-2011, 04:39 AM
You should edit the profanity out of your post, otherwise KG26_Alpha will use it as an excuse to feed his hunger for power and ban you.

You need to read forums rule 14

14. Discussion of topics which were locked by an administrator or a moderator is prohibited. Any kind of discussion concerning moderators' or administrators' actions is prohibited.''

If you have a problem with this, you should find some other forums to post.

NedLynch
08-02-2011, 04:47 AM
I think he means to say we are a little spoiled, which we are, at least I am in the respect that I never had to go to war, unlike other people these days who come back mangled, mauled or in a coffin from Iraq, Afghanistan and other places.
And unlike those guys who fought in WWII or any other war for that matter.

What did a soldier say to another in some WWII movie I saw, can't remember which one: " Just survive and get out of this mess and everything will be ok, everyday for the rest of your life."
I.e. there are worse things in life than a game with bugs and poor performance, especially if those things will be corrected in the future...if.

That said, yeah, I'd like to play a fully optimized, working sim with great content as well. What matters here is a little perspective. The right perspective does not mean not caring or being pasionate about this or other flight sims or taking it laying down if you spent your money on something that you feel wasn't worth it, by all means make yourselves heard and rightfully so.
It's just not the most important thing in life, it just isn't.

Oh and btw, where is Becklingen, serious question.

CaptainDoggles
08-02-2011, 04:51 AM
Becklingen is about 60 km north of Hannover, about half way to Hamburg, a little bit east of the E45

NedLynch
08-02-2011, 04:58 AM
Ahh, thanks for the info, Niedersachsen.
My grandfather suvived the war, his brother in law did not come home.
Hmmm, don't share this too often, granddad flew a JU52.

retrojet
08-02-2011, 05:27 AM
Agree...

My underlying point, and admittedly, over-the-top thread, is that even though we have been served a less than perfect product, we could still keep this forum civilized?
And if that is not possible, don't expect my sympathy because some feel hard done by... $50 dollars can save a life in a place like Africa, etc, etc. Blah, blah, blah.... $50 worth of condoms would save thousands... But that's another story...

So, I chose to burn it on cod, and think (think) it will be worth it, is worth it already, in comparison to some of the sims I have payed 'big' money for in then last 30 odd years...
If you can't get your money back, well... there should be a law against that...
If you want a perfect product for your hard-earned cash, I agree, I would like that, too!
But, until Luthier is found hiding on a deserted island in the middle of the pacific, lighting cigars with $100 bills and talking to a football, I prefer to believe he, and the rest of the team, are working bloody hard to do the right thing... Commonsense dictates that that if they don't, they will suffer an excruciating future in the software business...

I don't see it... I believe they deserve the benefit of the doubt...

Obviously, there is an element of uncertainty given cod's history to date, but I think it would have been easier to dump it all before now...

Look, if it all goes to pot tomorrow, I still enjoy what it does now... So sue me!

I understand your frustration... I think Luthier could take 5 minutes to say 'Hi',
But 'Hi' would not be enough... And then I'll be writing the same waffle 6 months from now!

So, sorry for wasting everyone's time... I hereby request this thread be locked!

Yes, I'm an idiot, but a happy one, coz I wake up everyday, and get to live!

Ok, you win... Carry on, carrying on... When I wake up tomorrow, it's groundhog day, again...

Peace... (and war...) out...

retrojet
08-02-2011, 06:00 AM
Ahh, thanks for the info, Niedersachsen.
My grandfather suvived the war, his brother in law did not come home.
Hmmm, don't share this too often, granddad flew a JU52.

Exactly... We're all here because of consequences that our fore-fathers dealt with... Those guys did what they believed right, given the times...

World War II was the ultimate horror in history for many reasons, but even though this small group appreciate that time 'in a sense', we still don't appreciate what cod endeavors to relate...

Real, intelligent and loved people died... But that doesn't seem to matter, in respect to the bloody FM, DM, tracer squiggle, tree color/colour... So on, and so on...

Come on guys... I think it's more than just a game... It's a respectful simulated account of how those poor young souls lived and died!

Don't drag it through the mud, point out the faults, but give it, it's dues...

hiro
08-02-2011, 06:26 AM
Retro you do bring up great points, the part below is just all in good fun and jest.

I agree that the negativity is unwarranted despite the deadly mistake of doing a beta release

And its good you are standing with Luthier / Oleg n crew.

now for the gumball 2000

War is young men dying and old men talking. You know this. Ignore the politics.

Get real!

This war will never be forgotten, nor will the heroes who fight in it.

Myrmidons! My brothers of the sword! I would rather fight beside you than any army of thousands! Let no man forget how menacing we are, we are lions! Do you know what's waiting beyond that beach? Immortality! Take it! It's yours!

Are the stories true? They say your mother was an immortal godess. They say you can't be killed.
I wouldn't be bothering with the shield then, would I?
The Thesselonian you're fighting... he's the biggest man i've ever seen. I wouldn't want to fight him.
Thats why no-one will remember your name.

Yes, he's a gifted killer. But he threatens everything I've built. Before me, Greece was nothing. I brought all the Greek kingdoms together. I created a nation out of fire worshippers and snake eaters! I build the future Nestor, Me! Achilles is the past. A man who fights for no flag. A man loyal to no country.

Never. You're a man of honour.

You have your swords. I have my tricks. We play with the toys the gods give us.

;)

Briseis: Do you enjoy provoking me?

Agree...

My underlying point, and admittedly, over-the-top thread, is that even though we have been served a less than perfect product, we could still keep this forum civilized?
And if that is not possible, don't expect my sympathy because some feel hard done by... $50 dollars can save a life in a place like Africa, etc, etc. Blah, blah, blah.... $50 worth of condoms would save thousands... But that's another story...

I've fought many wars in my time. Some I've fought for land, some for power, some for glory. I suppose fighting for love makes more sense than all the rest.

50,000 Greeks did not cross the sea to watch your brother fight. You know this.

You want me to look upon your army and tremble? Well I see them. I see 50,000 men brought here to fight for one man's greed.

So, I chose to burn it on cod, and think (think) it will be worth it, is worth it already, in comparison to some of the sims I have payed 'big' money for in then last 30 odd years...
If you can't get your money back, well... there should be a law against that...
If you want a perfect product for your hard-earned cash, I agree, I would like that, too!
But, until Luthier is found hiding on a deserted island in the middle of the pacific, lighting cigars with $100 bills and talking to a football, I prefer to believe he, and the rest of the team, are working bloody hard to do the right thing... Commonsense dictates that that if they don't, they will suffer an excruciating future in the software business...

If you come, we'll never be safe. Men will hunt us, the gods will curse us, but I'll love you. Until the day they burn my body, I'll love you.

I want her back so I can kill her with my own two hands, and I won't rest till I've burned Troy to the ground.

Father, you are a great king, because you love your country so much. Every blade of grass, every grain of sand, every rock in the river... You love all of Troy. That is the way I love Helen.

Go home, prince. Drink some wine, make love to your wife. Tomorrow, we'll have our war.
You speak of war as if it's a game. But how many wives wait at Troy's gates for husbands they'll never see again?
Perhaps your brother can comfort them. I hear he's good at charming other men's wives.

I don't see it... I believe they deserve the benefit of the doubt...

I loved my boy from the moment he opened his eyes until the moment you closed them.

Obviously, there is an element of uncertainty given cod's history to date, but I think it would have been easier to dump it all before now...

Look, if it all goes to pot tomorrow, I still enjoy what it does now... So sue me!

I'll tell you a secret. Something they don't teach you in your temple. The Gods envy us. They envy us because we're mortal, because any moment might be our last. Everything is more beautiful because we're doomed. You will never be lovelier than you are now. We will never be here again.

Of all the warlords loved by the gods, I hate him the most.

I understand your frustration... I think Luthier could take 5 minutes to say 'Hi',
But 'Hi' would not be enough... And then I'll be writing the same waffle 6 months from now!

So, sorry for wasting everyone's time... I hereby request this thread be locked!

If you stay in Larissa, you will find peace. You will find a wonderful woman, and you will have sons and daughters, who will have children. And they'll all love you and remember your name. But when your children are dead, and their children after them, your name will be forgotten... If you go to Troy, glory will be yours. They will write stories about your victories in thousands of years! And the world will remember your name. But if you go to Troy, you will never come back... for your glory walks hand-in-hand with your doom. And I shall never see you again.

Yes, I'm an idiot, but a happy one, coz I wake up everyday, and get to live!

Ok, you win... Carry on, carrying on... When I wake up tomorrow, it's groundhog day, again...

You say you're willing to die for love but you know nothing about dying and you know nothing about love!

You're still my enemy in the morning.
You're still my enemy tonight. But even enemies can show respect.

Peace... (and war...) out...

Peace is for the women, and the weak. Empires are forged by war.

You gave me peace in a lifetime of war.

retrojet
08-02-2011, 07:34 AM
hiro,

You do realize... we're both going to be thrown to the lions? ;)

The pen ( keypad) maybe sharper than the sword, but I don't think it will scratch the tough guys in here!

They're bullet-proof :-D

Its good to know others see cod for what it is... As in, what it is...
It's fun, even if it's imperfect...

Take it easy...

CWMV
08-02-2011, 10:11 PM
Exactly... We're all here because of consequences that our fore-fathers dealt with... Those guys did what they believed right, given the times...

World War II was the ultimate horror in history for many reasons, but even though this small group appreciate that time 'in a sense', we still don't appreciate what cod endeavors to relate...

Real, intelligent and loved people died... But that doesn't seem to matter, in respect to the bloody FM, DM, tracer squiggle, tree color/colour... So on, and so on...

Come on guys... I think it's more than just a game... It's a respectful simulated account of how those poor young souls lived and died!

Don't drag it through the mud, point out the faults, but give it, it's dues...

CoD endeavors to do one thing-make money.
War memorials are made of stone and bronze, not binary code.

Now maybe I come off as cynical, maybe its because I am a veteran, but this stuff about making what is in essence a big boy game and trying to pretty it up as a memorial to the men that fought the battles so as to make others avoid critical review of it is disingenuous at best.
I for one know that if there was a "Battle for fallujah 2004" simulator made, and it turned into a game of debatable quality, I would be incensed if people tried to invoke my efforts in the battles portrayed to defend a shoddy product.
Remember that you do more of a disservice to veterans when you invoke their efforts at every point of contention. Remember what they did, and how they did it, but don't ever use their Herculean sacrifice as an excuse for anything!

Slatz
08-03-2011, 12:57 AM

Get real!

;)

Thank you for the post Retrojet.It's nice to know there are others on here that are down to earth.

retrojet
08-03-2011, 01:19 AM
CoD endeavors to do one thing-make money.
War memorials are made of stone and bronze, not binary code.

Now maybe I come off as cynical, maybe its because I am a veteran, but this stuff about making what is in essence a big boy game and trying to pretty it up as a memorial to the men that fought the battles so as to make others avoid critical review of it is disingenuous at best.
I for one know that if there was a "Battle for fallujah 2004" simulator made, and it turned into a game of debatable quality, I would be incensed if people tried to invoke my efforts in the battles portrayed to defend a shoddy product.
Remember that you do more of a disservice to veterans when you invoke their efforts at every point of contention. Remember what they did, and how they did it, but don't ever use their Herculean sacrifice as an excuse for anything!

Don't get me wrong, obviously a piece of software can't be held up as a memorial to those who have served and been lost in war. But I don't have to visit war memorials, or gravesides, to mourn their ultimate sacrifice. I do it by being respectful and grateful for what I have in my daily life, because of their sacrifice.

To simulate what those young guys did is as close as I'll ever get to experiencing what was unending terror to them. Of course, I'm not scared out of my mind when I fly COD, but it's still a way to appreciate their memory, just as much as reading a book, or watching a documentary... I don't throw down a history book and curse, because it doesn't end the way I want! I want to know how it was... from the perspective of the poor bastards who were forced to endure years of hell...

So, I apologize if my thread gave the wrong impression, it's not 'just' software if it helps to keep their memory alive... But I would never 'sell' it as tribute, just to make as much money as possible... And I hope the final product does not end up in the shoddy bin!

Anyway, if it's ok, I'd like to thank you for your service to your country.

All the best...

retrojet
08-03-2011, 01:32 AM
Thank you for the post Retrojet.It's nice to know there are others on here that are down to earth.

:-D
Are we that hard to find...hehe!
I think we're all on the same team, in a weird and wonderful way... ;)
It's the... waiting for the perfect patch to land, that makes it feel like I'm walking barefoot on eggshells in here... Or is it broken glass... :confused:

Cheers!

LoBiSoMeM
08-03-2011, 02:20 AM
Freedom...

I remember India's colonial period... "Falkland" Islands...

Let's talk about the game, please?

retrojet
08-03-2011, 04:08 AM
Freedom...

I remember India's colonial period... "Falkland" Islands...

Let's talk about the game, please?

Haha! Do you think that's wise? I thought we were waiting for THE PATCH?!!

According to some, it's playable, for others it's unplayable...
You have to turn off trees for the sound to work...
It has an amazing DM, but some are not happy with it...
It has an amazing FM, but some are not happy with it...
Some are having a blast online, some are not happy with it...

What's to say? It's been said over and over and over............

... And for the record, I'm enjoying it, even with the issues... But, please don't start with me about being a fanboi, whiner, idiot, trouble-maker, argumentative, offensive, Whatever!

I'm waiting for the patch, and while I wait, I'm learning how to fly it to the best of my abilities, with a system that is not top of line, but is all I can afford...

I'm done... Sorry if you wasted your time reading my drivel...
:-D

NedLynch
08-04-2011, 04:03 AM
Hey you whining, troublemaking, fanboingishinginging.....:rolleyes:

Oh my God, you said the P-word.

Can't help it, enjoying the game here as well, yes optimization, DCG, other things need to be done, but I am having fun. Downloaded some skins, campaigns, semi-dynamic cg.

LoBiSoMeM
08-04-2011, 04:11 AM
According to some, it's playable, for others it's unplayable...
You have to turn off trees for the sound to work...

No, I think and I just turn off AI talking in MP...

But I'm one in a million!

furbs
08-04-2011, 06:30 AM
Retro you do bring up great points, the part below is just all in good fun and jest.

I agree that the negativity is unwarranted despite the deadly mistake of doing a beta release

And its good you are standing with Luthier / Oleg n crew.

now for the gumball 2000

War is young men dying and old men talking. You know this. Ignore the politics.

This war will never be forgotten, nor will the heroes who fight in it.

Myrmidons! My brothers of the sword! I would rather fight beside you than any army of thousands! Let no man forget how menacing we are, we are lions! Do you know what's waiting beyond that beach? Immortality! Take it! It's yours!

Are the stories true? They say your mother was an immortal godess. They say you can't be killed.
I wouldn't be bothering with the shield then, would I?
The Thesselonian you're fighting... he's the biggest man i've ever seen. I wouldn't want to fight him.
Thats why no-one will remember your name.

Yes, he's a gifted killer. But he threatens everything I've built. Before me, Greece was nothing. I brought all the Greek kingdoms together. I created a nation out of fire worshippers and snake eaters! I build the future Nestor, Me! Achilles is the past. A man who fights for no flag. A man loyal to no country.

Never. You're a man of honour.

You have your swords. I have my tricks. We play with the toys the gods give us.

Briseis: Do you enjoy provoking me?

I've fought many wars in my time. Some I've fought for land, some for power, some for glory. I suppose fighting for love makes more sense than all the rest.

50,000 Greeks did not cross the sea to watch your brother fight. You know this.

You want me to look upon your army and tremble? Well I see them. I see 50,000 men brought here to fight for one man's greed.

If you come, we'll never be safe. Men will hunt us, the gods will curse us, but I'll love you. Until the day they burn my body, I'll love you.

I want her back so I can kill her with my own two hands, and I won't rest till I've burned Troy to the ground.

Father, you are a great king, because you love your country so much. Every blade of grass, every grain of sand, every rock in the river... You love all of Troy. That is the way I love Helen.

Go home, prince. Drink some wine, make love to your wife. Tomorrow, we'll have our war.
You speak of war as if it's a game. But how many wives wait at Troy's gates for husbands they'll never see again?
Perhaps your brother can comfort them. I hear he's good at charming other men's wives.

I loved my boy from the moment he opened his eyes until the moment you closed them.

I'll tell you a secret. Something they don't teach you in your temple. The Gods envy us. They envy us because we're mortal, because any moment might be our last. Everything is more beautiful because we're doomed. You will never be lovelier than you are now. We will never be here again.

Of all the warlords loved by the gods, I hate him the most.

If you stay in Larissa, you will find peace. You will find a wonderful woman, and you will have sons and daughters, who will have children. And they'll all love you and remember your name. But when your children are dead, and their children after them, your name will be forgotten... If you go to Troy, glory will be yours. They will write stories about your victories in thousands of years! And the world will remember your name. But if you go to Troy, you will never come back... for your glory walks hand-in-hand with your doom. And I shall never see you again.

You say you're willing to die for love but you know nothing about dying and you know nothing about love!

You're still my enemy in the morning.
You're still my enemy tonight. But even enemies can show respect.

Peace is for the women, and the weak. Empires are forged by war.

You gave me peace in a lifetime of war.

My fav post this year, enjoyed reading that. thank you. :)