PDA

View Full Version : Fiat G-50

JG52Uther
08-01-2011, 11:28 PM
I have always liked the little death trap G-50 in il2.
I have only played around with it long enough to blow the engine in CoD (about 30 seconds...) but apart from that how good is the modelling?
Speed, climb, turn etc! Are the peashooter Breda Safats more effective in CoD?

Blackdog_kt
08-02-2011, 04:34 AM
I only tried it very early on against some Gladiators and Walruses in the QMB. I never really flew it much back in IL2 so i can't comment on the handling, but the guns are amazing (if a little slow-firing compared to the lower caliber types): about 80% of the time i would fire from a slight angle-off/deflection i would end up with an enemy pilot killed.

The explosive ammunition is also nice :grin:

Rickusty
08-02-2011, 07:38 AM
Hi Uther,
take a look here. There was a discussion some times ago. It looks like something's missing in its FM.

http://forum.1cpublishing.eu/showthread.php?t=20569

The Breda 12,7mm HMGs seem rather effective now.
It can turn modestly, not as tight as a Spitfire 1, but rather ok.
Maneuverability is modest as well.

It really seems like the aircraft hasn't enough power to "float in the air", it really feels underpowered and it really feels like
they forgot to add some HP there.

It also had a WEP setting IRL (called "+100", meaning an increase of 100mmHg of manifold pressure), and it simply doesn't have it in the game,
weird.

It never was an outstanding machine IRL, Italian pilots in general wanted to stay as far away from it as possible. It's no wonder it was called by them
an "Iron with wings"!
To be honest, I would rather fly in the CR42 (and the Glad would be fantastic too), as they really did see some actions during that period, and it's way cooler too. :)
It was slow, but at least it was very agile and a joy to fly.

Cheers
Rick

JG52Uther
08-02-2011, 12:35 PM
Thanks guys! Seems like the plane is a bit more porked currently than it was in reality.
Hopefully it will be on 'the list' of things to look at.

JG53Frankyboy
08-02-2011, 01:10 PM
some thing to consider with the G.50:
-its a CoD radial, so , its engine needs 200° cylindertemperature to operate well.
You have to select one of the cylinder to get a temp reading on the gauge , by default its set to "none"
-its mixture is not automatic, so with increaseing height, you have to decrease mixture
-reducing the convergence of the guns to ~200m is bringing the tracers in sight . Its SAFAT 12,7mm guns have a very low V0 and therefor a bad balistic.
-it has trimm for all three axis

But that does not mean, as some of the community members already said, that it dont lack power (as the most planes IMHO)

JG52Uther
08-02-2011, 03:42 PM
Thanks Franky. Really must get out of the 109 and spend some time in the Fiat again!

irR4tiOn4L
04-12-2012, 02:59 PM
I was stuffing around in this thing and pulled out flaps and gear at a low alt (400m or so) a couple of k's from the airport I wanted to land at, and to my horror the thing seemingly could not compensate for the drag even at full power. I ended up crash landing somewhere completely different.

I've had a similar situation happen when my engine blew at 3000m, and I couldnt even make it to shore some 10km away. This thing really is just a brick. It never ceases to amaze me how badly it glides, climbs and how underpowered it is.

tools4fools
04-16-2012, 04:53 PM
The Breda 12,7mm HMGs seem rather effective now.

Agree on this one. I get 2 twin engined bombers usually and damage a third one heavily, with one ammo load, per sortie.
I like the combo of it's cockpit/gun sight and the two guns, very good to aim at short ranges.
Recently I shot down a Blenheim on my first pass, coming in from above and to the side, right engine of the bomber in the gun sight. A short burst and it smoked immediately...fell out of formation, flames, parachutes and a kill.
I checked, 11 bullets had hit out of a very small total fired (42% hits).
Flies like a brick, but stable shooting, can be perfectly aimed.
I use convergence 150m, start shooting always under 200m, often 150m and less.

Liked the Hayabusa in IL-2, this is similar, but the guns seem more effective while it flies like a brick. A slow brick on top of that...