PDA

View Full Version : PSA: Too much of a good thing can be bad.

ATAG_Doc
07-30-2011, 11:53 PM
The family of a budding computer programmer have on Saturday launched a campaign to raise awareness about the health risks of playing online computer games after their son died following a marathon session on his Xbox. (http://news.yahoo.com/xbox-addict-dies-blood-clot-111934041.html)

danjama
07-31-2011, 12:16 AM
I blame the parents, fully.

Would it have hurt them to stick their heads in the door and check on their sons well-being, maybe encourage him to get the hell up and shower/take a walk.

Or they could have raised him well enough that he would have had the initiative and drive to do these things himself.

retrojet
07-31-2011, 12:36 AM
If you have kids you know where this is going...
This won't be the last time you hear about this kind of thing... And, it's true that youngsters don't get enough physical exercise...
Then again, when I was a kid, the streets were safe enough to play in.
Sadly, nowadays, socializing happens more online than in person (outside of the school playground). It's a fact of life that I'm grateful I never had to deal with!

Technology will always have it's dark side... But I don't blame it...

Poor kids...

Now, how much is that CPU? :confused:

baronWastelan
07-31-2011, 12:55 AM
I spent most of my youth outdoors camping, swimming, boating, etc. It led to me joining the military when I was 18, but I was so thin and sickly they wouldn't put me in the Infantry or any combat arms, so I ended up in a desk job on a helicopter base, getting drunk with my roommates every weekend (not to mention plenty of computer games). :oops:

Jatta Raso
07-31-2011, 01:40 AM
hmm... sad indeed. we don't know if he lived at home with his parents or not; or if they did anything to discourage him from doing that kind of thing throughout the years. i'll say nothing about them.

some ppl have a distinctive addictive character on VG, there's little that can be done to change that. some guys, when they play FPS, go to dodge bullets in front of the monitor, ducking and leaning their heads when the action gets intense, i've seen it. in person.

a friend of mine once played Rome Total War for 20h straight, after having done 15h the day before; luckily he got married with a fine girl and now has no time to get lost on these things. a normal bloke, who looses track of everything when left alone with a monitor and attached to a capable gaming PC...

i guess many of us in here are beyond there 27-30s and had the chance to experience a lifestyle in their youth that prevented this kind of modern sick culture of the kids today - the so called digital life style. as a kid i used to ride my bike all time on weekends (and still do whenever i can), go for swims and all that sort (as i'm doing by now in the hot :cool:)

it's sad to see some kids nowadays passing on this, missed opportunities to develop a less stressful character that won't come around again; i don't think it's a lost cause on any terms, but many of us live at a crazy stressful pace today; there's a heck of less time for everyone, to be with their kids, to be with their friends... and all that forms a chain; a chain that must be broken in order to defeat many perverse side effects that we see today in our ways of life.

hmm... i guess i got a bit into longing feelings of some kind... well that can't be bad. cheers and happiness to you all ;-)

JG52Uther
07-31-2011, 09:59 AM
if you have kids you know where this is going...
This won't be the last time you hear about this kind of thing... And, it's true that youngsters don't get enough physical exercise...
Then again, when i was a kid, the streets were safe enough to play in.
Sadly, nowadays, socializing happens more online than in person (outside of the school playground). It's a fact of life that i'm grateful i never had to deal with!

Technology will always have it's dark side... But i don't blame it...

Poor kids...

Now, how much is that cpu? :confused:

qft.

raaaid
07-31-2011, 03:22 PM
hell this is safer than having fun riding a abike, i destroyed my leg once

i waited to friday to jump online to play poker with real amounts of small money because i knew i would spent all night and have to work on week days

well i played poker all friday night and all saturday night

ive seen the sunrise before going to bed :)

my heart beated fast my breath cut just as if had fallen in love

ive gone from the 2000 intial free chips to 90,000 worth 2 euro

in my twentys i would get teriibly pieced with my buddies to be rejected by girls

well now i have a happy life playing its me who rejects girls

oh the pleasure to send a gilr away

though a beach at work is tempting me but no way ill be strong have too much of a happy life to sen it away

o and if i die from a stroke playing thats cause my heart beats fast, pure emotion :), 100% worth

edit:

in the morning i play against poker ai at work with my phone

at evening i play poker online

and at night i dream of poker

hell im obseessed with poker but today ill take a break and take a stroll by the beach :)

philip.ed
07-31-2011, 05:06 PM
Jesus mate, you really need some help.

retrojet
07-31-2011, 05:28 PM
Haha...

Each to his own! Life's too short, and Mortality sucks, big time!:-x

Boy, all this typing is exhausting! :wink: I think I'll walk the dogs...

esmiol
07-31-2011, 05:29 PM
the good point is that it is a console player in less :D sorry :)

seriously... when stupid people will stop to get together to create club like this one?

Igo kyu
07-31-2011, 05:30 PM
my heart beated fast my breath cut just as if had fallen in love

o and if i die from a stroke playing thats cause my heart beats fast, pure emotion :), 100% worth
Strokes are no fun what-so-ever. Strokes are a useless form of suicide, 66% live on, crippled, some mentally crippled, some physically. If your heart beats fast when you are at rest, see a doctor as soon as you can.

esmiol
07-31-2011, 05:34 PM
i always thik that the only solution for stopping stupidity was the sterilisation.... now i see the x box make the job! god bless xbox :D

raaaid
07-31-2011, 07:53 PM
hey doctor my heart beats fast at rest when i gamble strong hands and when hot girls blow in my ear

i demand more meds

Igo kyu
07-31-2011, 10:36 PM
hey doctor my heart beats fast at rest when i gamble strong hands and when hot girls blow in my ear

i demand more meds
Gambling may not be restful for you, I don't know about that. Exercise should increase heart rate, if heart rate is high at rest normally for you when you're not excited, you probably have a problem. Heart rate meds aren't interesting to take, no strange sensations, maybe a little nausea, it's not a good feeling.