PDA

View Full Version : So if/when the SDK gets released, what realistically can users of it make?

Mysticpuma
07-30-2011, 10:04 PM
I have never used an SDK, but heard of them many times.

I presume that it allows 3D modelling of sorts, but have no idea what an SDK can actually do?

I presume that releasing an SDK without a license means that it will only alllow small adjustments tp the Polygon models and not the FM or DM of aircraft?

But do I also assume that if the SDK was released, that all 'creations' would have to go through 1C before they could be installed into CloD?

Additionally, if the SDK was licensed it would mean that studios/individuals could create anything they so desired for use in CloD, but still have to get it signed off by MG?

Lastly, what of the SDK is released and someone makes a fantastic addition (not like Gary's Mod for Half Life, but lets say a similar brilliant Mod/Model/add-on/Campaign/Aircraft) could MG then say they want to buy it and if the craetor says no, they could refuse it being included in the game?

I just wonder what an SDK could open up for the community?

Cheers, MP

JG53Frankyboy
07-30-2011, 10:08 PM
we will know when there are here..................

VO101_Tom
07-30-2011, 10:16 PM
I have never used an SDK, but heard of them many times.

I presume that it allows 3D modelling of sorts, but have no idea what an SDK can actually do?...

No detailed info here.
I guess the developers do not "throw the rein between the horses", there will be limitations sure, I am curious (as you), what possible and what no.

Blackdog_kt
07-30-2011, 10:24 PM
Not much use speculating at this point, but you can draw parallels through other recent examples.

For instance, all those 3rd party add-ons for MS flight sims (both payware and freeware) are made with the respective SDK tools: a modeler will make a 3d model in a suitable editing software (separate to the SDK), then the SDK manuals tell people how to go about building a flight model, assigning it to the aforementioned 3d model, create some "hooks" for sounds to be played for each event and so on.

I don't own FSX but a friend does and he has quite a few add-ons, some of them are downright brilliant and it's how i learned CEM before CoD was even released (visiting him for a few beers and making 2-3 hour flights). In one of them i remember hearing a high-pitched whine when turning on the master switch, which was later overcome by the engine sounds after i would start them up...well, imagine my surprise when i learned it's the sound of the vacuum pump that drives the gyrostabilized instruments.

Just goes to show what is possible in general, but as far as CoD goes until we have some concrete information all we can say is plain theory-crafting :-D

VO101_Tom
07-30-2011, 11:10 PM
Don't forget, FSX not a combat simulator. When the microsoft did the same thing with CFS, the custom made UFO planes ruined the whole game.

The individual, little modifications did not spread in the Il-2. There was a stock version, and an accepted, popular mod-packet (Ultrapack). I would not be surprised if the CloD would follow this.

Opposite this, the unique modifications much spread in the Arma for example, although two versions run there in its big majority on the server: official stock game, and unofficial packet (ACE). But its FPS, there are huge differences between the mod-gameplays.

6S.Tamat
07-30-2011, 11:20 PM
The individual, little modifications did not spread in the Il-2. There was a stock version, and an accepted, popular mod-packet (Ultrapack). I would not be surprised if the CloD would follow this.

yes but remember that the single mods (like airplanes) are still made by single little groups of peoples... then introduced in the modpack after.
For example when our site released the swordfish the firsts two days the server stopped the downloads for too many connections...and was not a pack, was a single airplane to install.
The problem is: -if and how there will be a control from producers on the introductions of the mods-.

VO101_Tom
07-30-2011, 11:47 PM
yes but remember that the single mods (like airplanes) are still made by single little groups of peoples... then introduced in the modpack after.
For example when our site released the swordfish the firsts two days the server stopped the downloads for too many connections...and was not a pack, was a single airplane to install.
The problem is: -if and how there will be a control from producers on the introductions of the mods-.

I belive it, the Swordfish is a famous, legendary plane. But observable the tendency. The people who fly mostly online, do not like the unique, little modifications. You may not choose between the components already in the newest UP3.0, only on/off.

/off: I noticed this once, the English aircrafts were neglected throughout somehow it under il-2. Swordfish, Defiant, Wellington, Lancaster, Halifax, Sunderland, ect. I don't know what may be its reason. Maybe the night-raids, and naval wars were not achievable...

Blackdog_kt
07-31-2011, 02:05 AM
Actually, i think it will be pretty much like other modded games on Steam:

1) each server has a list of allowed mods
2) each user has his own list of installed mods
3) when we join a server it compares what we have with what it allows
4) we can join all servers with a single installation.

I think it's probably the reason they went with steam (it can differentiate between mods and cheats on a single installation). I'm not very much a fan of steam (i would prefer it to be optional or only needed for multiplayer), but the capabilities for mod control are good.

As for the British aircraft, i always felt the same Tom. I want to fly Swordfish in the evacuation of Dunkirk (they did fly there of all places, bombing advancing enemy troops and even taking on bombers in some cases), Blenheims in reconnaissance missions, Mosquitoes on pathfinder night raids and hunt for U-boats with coastal command. Well, we might be able to see such things in the new series, it will be a blast :-P

Tex-Twil
08-01-2011, 07:48 PM
I really hope that they will enhance the interface to read the instruments values, switches ... by 3rd party apps to that I can adapt iCockpit (http://forum.1cpublishing.eu/showthread.php?t=24856) to CoD

Ze-Jamz
08-01-2011, 07:50 PM
Actually, i think it will be pretty much like other modded games on Steam:

1) each server has a list of allowed mods
2) each user has his own list of installed mods
3) when we join a server it compares what we have with what it allows
4) we can join all servers with a single installation.

I think it's probably the reason they went with steam (it can differentiate between mods and cheats on a single installation). I'm not very much a fan of steam (i would prefer it to be optional or only needed for multiplayer), but the capabilities for mod control are good.

As for the British aircraft, i always felt the same Tom. I want to fly Swordfish in the evacuation of Dunkirk (they did fly there of all places, bombing advancing enemy troops and even taking on bombers in some cases), Blenheims in reconnaissance missions, Mosquitoes on pathfinder night raids and hunt for U-boats with coastal command. Well, we might be able to see such things in the new series, it will be a blast :-P

Agreed

ATAG_Bliss
08-01-2011, 08:33 PM
I'm just hoping that we can eventually get some of the stuff that was in the works back in 08.

This and this :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KozuhKXGDoY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ILpnzQnZnY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L7CPSMn9iQA&feature=player_embedded