PDA

View Full Version : How are sales going?

bhunter2112
07-30-2011, 06:32 PM
Just wondering how sales are going. I see the game is ranked 4,200 something on Amazon. Not to good. Probably no real way to know. I bought my copy to help out. Have not gotten it yet. Anyone with info please share.

furbs
07-30-2011, 06:34 PM
where did you get the amazon stats from?

Hecke
07-30-2011, 06:35 PM
Hopefully the sales are bad. That would do the game justice.

Fansadox
07-30-2011, 06:49 PM
Hopefully the sales are bad. That would do the game justice.

Yup was thinking the same.

yellonet
07-30-2011, 07:00 PM
The game works just fine and is very enjoyable to a lot of people.

If it isn't working well for you that's unfortunate, but it will become better.
And if you people are fans of flight sims you are doing yourself a disservice wishing that CloD sells badly.
And if you don't care, why are even you here?

yellonet
07-30-2011, 07:01 PM
Just wondering how sales are going. I see the game is ranked 4,200 something on Amazon. Not to good. Probably no real way to know. I bought my copy to help out. Have not gotten it yet. Anyone with info please share.
Sales figures are usually not something that are revealed, I doubt you'd find anyone that knows and will tell you.

Troll2k
07-30-2011, 07:17 PM
Clod has fallen out of the top 100 Steam games.

I do not feel that the North American release added much.Because of the delays most that wanted the game got it from UK d/l sites.Thus there were not that many left in the unbought pool to buy it when it was released.

The most I have seen at any one time on the multiplayer servers was 68 for all the servers combined.If 5% of the buyers are online players that does not bode well.

I do expect sales to keep trickling in as time goes by.The game has only been out in the West since April.

These are personal opinions and I have no facts to back up my feelings.

yellonet
07-30-2011, 07:30 PM
Yes, it doesn't feel like the game has sold very much, but then again, simulations seldom do.
I believe however that as patches are released and the sim becomes more and more complete sales will start to increase.
The IL-2 fanbase should be quite large but many of them likely haven't picked up CloD yet due to either getting an (IMO false) impression that it is not an enjoyable product, or they are simply waiting for another part in the series.

Mysticpuma
07-30-2011, 09:55 PM
Yes, it doesn't feel like the game has sold very much, but then again, simulations seldom do.

Sadly this type of Simulation doesn't, but "The Sims" sold really well :(

Jaws2002
07-31-2011, 12:55 AM
I believe however that as patches are released and the sim becomes more and more complete sales will start to increase.
The IL-2 fanbase should be quite large but many of them likely haven't picked up CloD yet due to either getting an (IMO false) impression that it is not an enjoyable product, or they are simply waiting for another part in the series.

Nah. Actually the game has too many bugs and people that wanted the game know that. Il-2 community is rather big. Few of them switched over to COD, simply because they don't want the hassle.

If the game worked right when it was released, you would see 600 people online every day, not 20.
I like Cliffs of Dover, I play and suport it since the day it came in Europe, but saying "the game works just fine" is just baloney.

NedLynch
07-31-2011, 01:00 AM
I feel it's a very different marketplace now than it was for the original IL2.
This combined with the rather spotty release is not a good combination, I as well here in the US was extremely on the fence about buying this sim after reading all the negative things about it, thought 1C in their niche of producing highly ambitious flight sims deserves some support, now I am more than happy I bought the game.

I have not even seen any marketing for the game here in the US. This, as I wrote is quite a niche game for people who love realistic flight sims and thus are a bit seperate from the instant gratification crowd. And those simmers are not really found in massive abundance in the marketplace. If then some of the few even willing to play a non-arcade game are put off by various bugs and issues, not always to the game's fault though, well, then you have a really, really bad start.
It seems to me if someone has a bad experience with a product they are definitely going to tell everyone, propagading the bad rep of the sim, if people are happy and have no problems with said product they might tell other people.

So it's a rough start, I have no doubt the game will very much improve over time, peformance wise and content wise, maybe UBI can at least put some marketing out there, since I believe the sim is in a very playable state right now and 1C needs not only support from the community but very much from their publisher.

Like I said, I am a happy camper, wouldn't want to miss this sim.

von Pilsner
07-31-2011, 01:11 AM
I like Cliffs of Dover, I play and suport it since the day it came in Europe, but saying "the game works just fine" is just baloney.

Agreed!!! As a SP player I have been waiting patiently for AI fix and radio command fix (more depth to the campaign system would be nice too) and I have supported the title by purchasing it... but... I wouldn't say the game works fine (soon, hopefully).

Heliocon
07-31-2011, 01:11 AM
The niche however in Euro+US is more than big enough to support this title since there is pretty much no competition (ROF is the exception but its also prob a even smaller niche than ww2). Paradox started and has many of the most niche games I have ever seen, they have been a big success too.

It may be a small % of gamers, but because of the pure market size its enough for the game+growth. However most people are probably not buying now due to the games state, I know people who are saying: "Well its not getting fixed any time soon, will have a look at it during december winter break and see if it looks decent then, but for now its not worth the effort."

If I had not bought the game I would tend to agree...

yellonet
07-31-2011, 08:47 AM
but saying "the game works just fine" is just baloney.
Then it is good I did not :)

ReconNZ
07-31-2011, 12:25 PM
Yeah I fly with an IL2 squad in Aussie, there are about 15 regular flyers in the squad, of them only 5 or 6 have CloD, and none of us play it much.

We are all waiting for the next couple of patches to see what they can come up with. MP stability is the key driver, plus there is a perception in the squad that people will have to upgrade their PCs, so they want to wait for CloD to get better first before they do.

Personally I think the lack of communication lately from Luthier is the worst thing that could have happened - I personally am less engaged with this community now because I feel that if the devs cant even stick with a regular friday update, I may as well move on to playing something else and check back in a couple of months. I'm sure that doesn'r matter much, but it does mean I've stopped promoting the game to my squad mates for one thing.

NedLynch
07-31-2011, 03:40 PM
Sorry, maybe I am missing something here, but reading through the thread I fail to find a statement "the game works just fine" and check your spelling on balo...belea...baloon....ahhh, well that meaty unrecognizable stuff you're supposed to put on a sandwich :rolleyes:

swiss
07-31-2011, 08:05 PM

BS, it's an an topic all the time on the servers.
Problem is: Those ppl on the servers dont give a sh.t about single player(and cod only works in single player) - and mp still sux.

von Pilsner
07-31-2011, 08:18 PM
and cod only works in single player

As a SP pilot, I thought CloD only worked in MP.. :D

swiss
07-31-2011, 08:44 PM
As a SP pilot, I thought CloD only worked in MP.. :D

Ok, I admit that was hear-say.

yellonet
07-31-2011, 08:59 PM
BS, it's an an topic all the time on the servers.
Problem is: Those ppl on the servers dont give a sh.t about single player(and cod only works in single player) - and mp still sux.
How is what I said BS? And why the hostile tone?

swiss
07-31-2011, 11:23 PM
How is what I said BS? And why the hostile tone?

huh? hostile?
see below.