PDA

View Full Version : LAN Only Multiplay (have unreliable internet connection)

niallpatty
07-30-2011, 01:47 AM
Has anybody had any success with multiplay over a Win 7 LAN (Homegroup)?

I have a poor/intermittent internet connection and want to play sessions again with friends over LAN as was possible with IL2 1946.

I often get a Steam connection error (running Steam in offline mode) on the server PC and the client PC says "connect disabled" after trying direct connect to the server IP and port.

Everything is working fine with both PCs running Win 7 and Multiplayer in IL2 1946.

niallpatty
07-30-2011, 01:50 AM
I forgot to mention that these PCs are running DVD versions of the game and not downloads if it makes any difference.

Ataros
07-30-2011, 08:12 AM
Can you see server ingame in Multiplayer >> Client >> LAN?

Can you see the server in Steam >> Servers >> LAN?

It can be a firewall issue. Try deleting old firewall rules and creating new absolutely empty ones (all ports open for LAN) for both Steam and Launcher.

Try upgrading both games to current version via copying files from a 3rd computer that has good internet connection.

albx
07-30-2011, 08:19 AM
Can you see server ingame in Multiplayer >> Client >> LAN?

Can you see the server in Steam >> Servers >> LAN?

It can be a firewall issue. Try deleting old firewall rules and creating new absolutely empty ones (all ports open for LAN) for both Steam and Launcher.

Try upgrading both games to current version via copying files from a 3rd computer that has good internet connection.

he is trying to create a lan with steam offline, is this possible?

Ataros
07-30-2011, 03:10 PM
I don't know. Maybe it is worth searching FAQs on Steam site regarding other Steam games.

Another idea is to start game in Multiplayer >> Lobby instead of Multiplayer >> Server.

niallpatty
07-30-2011, 06:49 PM
Thanks for replying so quickly guys.

I have turned off the fire walls on both PCs to rule this out. I have managed to get both games updated when the internet was good enough in the small hours. It takes ages!

On the PC I want to use as server, I have been doing the following.

In COD multiplayer I select Server, Net, then Port=27015, Local Host=192.168.1.10 (sever pc IP address), Speed=LAN, Apply, OK then after about 10 secs I get a steam connection error bos saying "connection to steam lost, exiting"

When I try to close COD I get a "Launcher is not responding" box.

Now on the Pc I intend to use as client, I cant open COD. just after I slect "start steam in offline mode" I get a steam error box saying "could not connect to steam network. this could be due to a problem with your internet connection or a problem with the steam network"

Weird, it worked last night.

Is there any way of running this game without Steam? I kind of thought it would be a case of if you buy the DVD it will just load up and run like 1946 does. I always get a disc over downloads due to my poor internet connection.

Just before i shut the PCs in question down I checked to make sure 1946 ran OK in multiplayer across both PCs. It did with no problems.

Thanks again.

Ataros
07-31-2011, 12:18 PM
In case nothing else helps this may be a bug. The game may consider LAN as normal multiplayer which is not possible without Steam connection (Steam is used for server browser).

Report it in bug-reporting threads. There like 3 or 4 such threads on this forum.

But try creating a server in Lobby, not in Server room also.

niallpatty
08-06-2011, 11:05 AM
Just tried the Lobby method and after clicking "create" there is a choice of either "public" or "friends only". I tried creating in both of these and both resulted in a "no lobbies found" message.

Both PCs still going into COD but just no LAN multiplayer. Just checked IL2 1946 multiplayer on the same PCs which is still working perfectly.

I think it's fair to say this is likely to be a Steam problem.

Ataros
08-06-2011, 11:36 AM
I tried creating in both of these and both resulted in a "no lobbies found" message.

Do not press Find Server if you wont to create your own :) Press Play to create your own server. Then press OK, and select Multi mission to launch. After mission loads press Battle.

niallpatty
08-23-2011, 04:03 PM
I cant find an option to select "play" anywhere in the multiplayer menu. Lobby. Server or client sections. I pre ordered mine from ubisoft. I wonder if have a different version to you. I have not updated since my first post on this subject.

Has anybody had any success at lan only with no internet connection yet?

Troll2k
08-23-2011, 04:14 PM
I figured that public was open to all and that friends only was password protected.

Also you might check that your network settings are set to lan and not internet.

niallpatty
08-24-2011, 01:49 PM
Thanks Troll,

I am set to LAN in the drop down box at the top of the server setup screen. Have you had any success?

Troll2k
08-24-2011, 02:37 PM
Although I have a home lan I am the only one here so I have not tried a lan game.

Ralith
08-25-2011, 05:06 AM
I believe the "LAN" dropdown entry you are selecting just configures the amount of data the server should send to clients; it is probably still trying to establish an online server. I haven't experimented with hosting much myself yet, but it's possible what you want might be easier to achieve with a dedicated server.

As far as getting steam to work, the most reliable method is just to log in in online mode, then manually switch to offline mode, then leave it that way.

Troll2k
08-25-2011, 04:36 PM
I found this from another forum.It is dated march 24,2011.So take it with a grain of salt.

"Lixma: How will the multiplayer aspect work? Will it need Hyperlobby (or a similar 3rd party tool)?
Multiplayer matchmaking is done via steam from inside the game. There’s also LAN mode that doesn’t go through steam. There’s also dedicated servers, of course.

As a client, you’ll simply click Multiplayer – then Client, and go into the Server Search window. Select type (LAN – Internet – Recent – Favorites – etc), and see the server list populate. You’ll have a filters option, where you can filter servers by realism options, ping, map, etc etc etc."