PDA

View Full Version : Steam vs PC-DVD

SharpeXB
07-29-2011, 06:35 PM
Which is the best version to get?

I don't like having to keep a disc in the drive constantly so I really like the digital versions of games. Does CloD use a form of DRM that allows it to be run without the disc?
Are there any goodies (poster maps ect) in the PC-DVD box that would make it the better deal?

David198502
07-29-2011, 06:38 PM
you dont need the disc to run the game.not even to install cod.there are no extra goodies on the disc.except if you buy the collectors edition.i think there is a map and 2handbooks included.

Hecke
07-29-2011, 06:49 PM
if you buy the DVD version you will have the same DRM STEAM S***tuff as if you buy the Steam version directly. There's no way round Steam with this game

Troll2k
07-29-2011, 06:54 PM
The standard DVD is no more than a Steam install.

There are some extra goodies in the boxed deluxe edition but I do not think that is available in North America.

As far as game content there is no difference between the digital download and the physical disk.

Tuba2
07-30-2011, 05:49 PM
if you buy the DVD version you will have the same DRM STEAM S***tuff as if you buy the Steam version directly. There's no way round Steam with this game

So sad!!! From other sites I see many who say this is a killer decision which has caused them to cancel their pre-orders and others who claim Steam ends their further purchase of this continuation of the IL2 series. :( It probably is a game killer for me as well since I refused to buy the last few Silent Hunter DVD's since I was unwilling to put the included copy protection scheme on my computer and risk messing it up since I must use it for other work. Oh well there is IL2 1946 and other great programs that don’t require intrusive spyware running in the background. Plus their asking price is way too high for a program that is essentially only rented and can only be run with permission and be terminated at the whim of a third party (Steam).

r0bc
07-30-2011, 07:08 PM
I can never understand anti Steam comments.
This game has problems and the least of them are Steam.
Steam isn't spyware...you always own it and they can't take it from you...its auto updated...you can login to your account from any PC anywhere and access your games....you can download it as many times as you like.....it don't get scratched or lost.....you can back up to DVD's if you feel the need to do so and I can go on.
I dunno...to each his own.

yellonet
07-30-2011, 07:17 PM
I can never understand anti Steam comments.
This game has problems and the least of them are Steam.
Steam isn't spyware...you always own it and they can't take it from you...its auto updated...you can login to your account from any PC anywhere and access your games....you can download it as many times as you like.....it don't get scratched or lost.....you can back up to DVD's if you feel the need to do so and I can go on.
I dunno...to each his own.

I feel that it is important to have the choice to use Steam or not, why? Because it's a third party service that you have no control over whatsoever, except some rudimentary options.
What happens to the game if the Steam system suffers a breakdown, hacker attacks, get bought?
Tying in a lot of games to Steam could be dangerous as you so to speak put all eggs in one basket.
Sure, there are some benefits, but don't believe for one minute that the service is created for the consumer, most of the benefits obviously belong to Valve and the publishers of the games to maintain control over their product even after you've bought it.
And that is not in no way in service of the consumer.

von Pilsner
07-30-2011, 08:13 PM
Sure, there are some benefits, but don't believe for one minute that the service is created for the consumer, most of the benefits obviously belong to Valve and the publishers of the games to maintain control over their product even after you've bought it.
And that is not in no way in service of the consumer.

I imagine that the anticheat, content/patch distribution system, worldwide sales, anti-piracy (serial check), online chat and voice, etc... that Steam provides is quite an incentive for a developer to use Steam.

Plus their asking price is way too high for a program that is essentially only rented and can only be run with permission and be terminated at the whim of a third party (Steam).

Look through the license of just about any videogame you've bought in the last year and see how many you own (usually 0 unless you are into open source stuff) versus how many you've been licensed (generally all recent pay videogames). It seems to be the way things have bean heading for a long time...

r0bc
07-30-2011, 09:55 PM
Look through the license of just about any videogame you've bought in the last year and see how many you own (usually 0 unless you are into open source stuff) versus how many you've been licensed (generally all recent pay videogames). It seems to be the way things have bean heading for a long time...
Exactly

I'm far more concerned about my DVD's then the games I on Steam.
I have damaged MS FSX DVD's. I have the discs, cases and product keys but the only way I can reinstall is to buy new ones or download illegal ISO's from torrents so I really hope Flight is distributed through a similar service.