PDA

View Full Version : Gaming computer not online

cmnderbob
07-27-2011, 05:41 PM
Hello, I live in a rural area of Canada, I have internet access at work but not at home where I fly offline using il2 1946. Today I received my long awaited copy of Cliffs of Dover and camr to these forums to see how I can install the game. It seems you can only play this game on a computer with internet access, is this right. I am looking for any advise. My intention was to play the game offline. Can anyone help. Thanks, Bob

cmnderbob
07-27-2011, 06:30 PM
You can play it offline, but you'll have to register/install it with Steam online. After that, you can start Steam in Offline mode and play.

Thanks for your response Cheesehawk, I guess what I am asking is if I register and install it at work (where I dont fly) how can I get it on my offline gaming computer at home. It seems from what I am reading that you cannot install COD on a computer that is not online. That would mean that I bought a game I can't use, which seems silly from a marketing point of veiw and quite disappointing as I have been waiting many year for this sim. I'm hoping there is a way to intall it at home.

Timberwolf
07-27-2011, 07:06 PM
Thanks for your response Cheesehawk, I guess what I am asking is if I register and install it at work (where I dont fly) how can I get it on my offline gaming computer at home. It seems from what I am reading that you cannot install COD on a computer that is not online. That would mean that I bought a game I can't use, which seems silly from a marketing point of veiw and quite disappointing as I have been waiting many year for this sim. I'm hoping there is a way to intall it at home.

There's no real way for installing it without internet

Only thing i can think of is take it to a friends house or work

Warhound
07-27-2011, 07:31 PM
You will have to haul your gaming pc to work (or any place with a netconnection..cybercafe,friend etc.) and install the game that way. Once done you can tell steam to start in offline mode and from then on you can stay in offline mode.
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/16366755/offline.jpg

It does mean however that you won't get patches so you'd have to connect to the net and let steam update the game when you want your game patched.
Also as offline player I suspect you will want to play playermade campaigns which you'll have to download on a USB-stick and then place in the right folders on your home pc...the stock content isn't that big for singleplayer ,just 2 campaigns, 5 single missions and 24 quick missions. (Unless you make your own missions in the FMB which would keep you busy for ages.)

cmnderbob
07-27-2011, 08:48 PM
Thanks gentlemen, campaigns and missions are not a problem as I already use a USB drive to bring content home for il2 1946. I wonder if I could install COD on a portible HD and just play it from there?

ajkula
10-28-2011, 09:17 PM
[QUOTE=Warhound;315845] Once done you can tell steam to start in offline mode and from then on you can stay in offline mode.
QUOTE]

tnx that helped me a loot

I tought i would not be abel to play single or even start a game with no internet connection.

old IL-2 did help me kill the boredom at high sea, and with all this new games coming out on steam i had same problems, could not play them with no internet , but IL-2 Cliffs... is important, so i searched for solutions and finally found it :)

I started to think that guys in steam didnt think about this kined of problems for gamers :)