PDA

View Full Version : Golden Recticle of Death

AWL_Spinner
07-27-2011, 02:21 AM
No traffic on the other thread, so shameless repost:

Ok, got the game yesterday (woohoo!), installed and tried to run....

I get the golden target recticle of death and then nothing else (I've tried leaving it for a few minutes).

Tried deleting the cache folder in 1C softclub, and setting the Render to D3D10 in the conf.ini. Tried a reinstall from Steam.

Any further tips welcome.

Just how long is the golden recticle normally on screen for, anyway?

Cheers!

AWL_Spinner
07-27-2011, 03:40 AM
Thanks Cheesehawk, I've left it for half an hour and no dice.

Specs are...

A stable and cool-running overclocked i750 @ 3.33Ghz
4Gb RAM
1Gb NVidia GTS-250 (275.33 drivers)
Windows 7 x64

Windows experience index (woo!) 6.9 out of 7.9.

I know it's a little graphically challenged but I wanted to have a play around at low settings to see how I liked the thing before splashing on a video upgrade. And it SHOULD run.

Cheers, Spinner

Ataros
07-27-2011, 11:11 AM
Google translated from Russian FAQ

1) Click on the Steam library name of the game / Properties / Local file / Check the integrity of the cache ...

2) Clear the contents of the cache \ at
For Windows XP - x: \ My Documents \ 1C SoftClub \ il-2 sturmovik cliffs of dover \
For Windows Vista \ 7 - x: \ Users \% username% \ Documents \ 1C SoftClub \ il-2 sturmovik cliffs of dover \

3) Try to reinstall all programs (except GDFInstall.exe) from the Support folder on the DVD. Also, these programs can be found at ... \ Steam \ steamapps \ common \ il-2 sturmovik cliffs of dover \ redist \

4) Try to reinstall the program New View (if available) by downloading it from another resource.

5) Temporarily disable FreeTrack (if installed) and try running the game.

6) If the Steam client installed on the system disk, try reinstall it on a logical drive.

7) If the video card, in addition to the monitor connected to the TV - temporarily disable it and try to start the game.

In Steam settings (run Steam \ Settings \ The game) is needed to change the keyboard shortcut "hotkey to open the overlay" - assign overlay hotkey to two keys (Ctrl + Tab, for example)

http://www.sukhoi.ru/forum/showthread.php?t=67281

AWL_Spinner
07-31-2011, 04:17 AM
Thanks, but still no joy.

I got momentarily excited after reinstalling the items under /redist (point no.3) and deleting the cache as I just got a black screen when the launcher crashed, rather than the golden plane.

Progress, thinks I.

But no, it was still a launcher crash.

I don't have New View or Free Track.

Reinstalled from Steam, deleted cache several times.

Sigh.

NedLynch
07-31-2011, 04:21 PM
Very strange, indeed, the game should run for you.
The only thing I have to say, and I am aware that this normally should not be the issue, since it's the launcher and one is always advised to install the latest drivers for your video card, I did not like the 275.33 driver, can elaborate on it if desired, but I rolled my driver back to the 270....whql.
Just set your fanspeed high enough in the nvidia control panel (80% or more).

Troll2k
08-01-2011, 12:00 AM
You might try going to the launcher file and go to properties.Then the compatibility tab and disable desktop composition.

Thee_oddball
08-01-2011, 03:13 AM
Thanks Cheesehawk, I've left it for half an hour and no dice.

Specs are...

A stable and cool-running overclocked i750 @ 3.33Ghz
4Gb RAM
1Gb NVidia GTS-250 (275.33 drivers)
Windows 7 x64

Windows experience index (woo!) 6.9 out of 7.9.

I know it's a little graphically challenged but I wanted to have a play around at low settings to see how I liked the thing before splashing on a video upgrade. And it SHOULD run.

Cheers, Spinner

return your CPU to stock speeds and if that does not work uninstall .NET and reinstall from a fresh copy from MS.

s!

AWL_Spinner
08-01-2011, 04:26 AM
Thanks for the advice everyone, I finally have it working.

The problem was in fact graphics driver related. I guess the key lesson here is not to let Windows manage an NVidia graphics driver upgrade for you (as I did last month).

Everything else seemed fine, all my other games are working, but I guess it was porked enough somewhere during the process that CoD had insurmountable issues.

Running driver sweeper and reinstalling the NVidia drivers has allowed me to start the game.

Cheers!

Spinner

AWL_Spinner
08-02-2011, 09:22 PM
Looks like my optimism was premature.

Removed all NVidia drivers and reinstalled, let Windows slot an old one in. CLoD worked, once. Subsequent times, nada.

Removed all NVidia drivers, restarted and installed latest set in Safe mode. Restarted, CLoD worked, once. Subsequent times, nada.

Launcher crashes every time.

Dedicated to the cause I may be, but I'm not going to reinstall my graphics drivers every time I want to play a game.

Sigh.

Any further ideas? I am emptying the /cache folder every time.

Attila
08-03-2011, 01:20 PM
return your CPU to stock speeds and if that does not work uninstall .NET and reinstall from a fresh copy from MS.

s!

Think this could help you (the .NET-thing)! Check your .Net Framework and maybe your MS Visual C++ that it´s up to date!

AWL_Spinner
08-03-2011, 03:01 PM
Unfortunately I've reinstalled .NET at least three times and the VC redistributable twice :(

Ataros
08-03-2011, 09:39 PM
Backup your controls key settings then delete all config files from both Il-2 folders (Steam and Documents). Run integrity check to download new config files.

Try editing conf.ini to reduce resolution and run in a window as a test.

AWL_Spinner
08-06-2011, 08:55 PM
Done the delete-and-revalidate. No difference.

Regarding screen res, which of the various conf files in different locations (which takes precedence?) contains those lines and (if they are not present) what should they look like?

Thanks!

Jukebox_TOM
10-27-2011, 07:04 PM
I have the same problem :/
my pc specs are:

nVidia GeForce GTX580 1536MB GDDR5 RAM
Intel® Core™ i7-2600K 4x3.40GHz (Turbo 3.80GHz)
Kingston HyperX 8GB DDR3-1600 RAM

It's allmost brand new and running BF3 perfect on max settings :)
but i would LOVE to start really dogfighting ;)

Whiski
10-27-2011, 08:54 PM
Had friend with a similar problem. I asked him to check his page file and he did, it was quite a bit lower than it should have been, he adjusted it to properly match his ram and it solved his problem.

I have also read in a post in the past about adjusting cache size. Not sure if that would help.

Whiskey