PDA

View Full Version : Stand-alone Dedicated Server Files

WilsonMG
07-25-2011, 09:15 PM
Are there any plans to add stand-alone dedicated server files for hosting on actual servers?

I'm not about to pony up the cash to buy the game a second time on a second Steam account just to host a server for my community until the more prominent bugs are squashed and multiplayer participation picks up.

Before I get dog-piled, many games offer the ability to host dedicated servers independently of the game client for free anyway so it's not like it's asking for something absurd. I think it would further encourage more multiplayer activity in the Cliffs of Dover community.

LeadFarmer
07-25-2011, 10:53 PM
you can launch the server through steam by adding -server to the launch option settings. Go back to the game list right click properties set launch option setings to blank. Start the game and join your own dedicated server ;)

Ataros
07-26-2011, 07:29 AM
Before I get dog-piled, many games offer the ability to host dedicated servers independently of the game client for free anyway so it's not like it's asking for something absurd. I think it would further encourage more multiplayer activity in the Cliffs of Dover community.

You can run server without purchasing a second copy of the game since its launch in March.

If you want to run server on a separate PC you can install Steam on that PC and register new Steam account. You do not have to purchase any game to this account, it can be completely empty.

To patch the server you would need to log off from your empty account and login with your paid account to the server. When patching is complete you do not need your paid account on the server any more till next patch is out.

WilsonMG
07-26-2011, 03:07 PM
You can run server without purchasing a second copy of the game since its launch in March.

If you want to run server on a separate PC you can install Steam on that PC and register new Steam account. You do not have to purchase any game to this account, it can be completely empty.

To patch the server you would need to log off from your empty account and login with your paid account to the server. When patching is complete you do not need your paid account on the server any more till next patch is out.

Ah, that makes perfect sense! I was aware you could exit Steam after starting the server, but I thought that my be frowned upon. I'll try this out tonight.

Are there any "best" custom mission/script files that the REPKA or SYN admins recommend? I'm not interested in creating missions for the server from scratch at this point as I don't have the time. Just something basic to create some historical airfield spawns and to throw some AI formations out there for when player population is low, and to clean up said AI from time to time.

II./JG1_Krupinski
08-07-2011, 06:01 PM
Okay I must be thick.

I've downloaded steam, installed and got the game files there. I've created a set of dummy credentials and tried to launch the game as a server with this dos command in the steam folder:

steam.exe -silent -login emptyaccountusername emptyaccountpassword no Brackets! -applaunch 63950 -server

All it does is launch steam and go to the store to purchase the game, Cliffs of Dover.

What am I doing wrong?

Ataros
08-07-2011, 07:28 PM
1) launch Steam by clicking the icon as usual.

2) create shortcut to launcher

3) add -server to shortcut Properties => Object (like "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\il-2 sturmovik cliffs of dover\Launcher.exe" -server)

4) launch launcher.exe via this shortcut

ps. To make sure the install is correct, login with your payed account first and check cache integrity.

II./JG1_Krupinski
08-07-2011, 07:36 PM
Thank you very much - that did the trick.