PDA

View Full Version : Upgrading my agp card for COD

malta knight
07-23-2011, 06:48 PM
Hi guys.

I`m upgrading my AGP graphics card and contemplating if the radeon hd 4650 512MB direct X 10 pixel shader4 or the Radeon 4670 1GB direct X10 pixel shader4 would work fine with cliffs of dover.NB My pc specs can handle the cards mentioned regards ps etc.Any suggestions would be welcome even experiences from those still using AGP cards.

Thanks.

rjb1fgc
07-23-2011, 07:40 PM
In my experience you should get the most video RAM you can obtain. On an old PCIe system (Opteron 165, Win7, 4GB RAM ) I had a Radeon 4850 512MB that would play but stuttered badly below 3000ft even over small towns or Dover. When I installed a 4850 with 1GB of VidRAM the stutters went away in that situation till I was below 1000ft ( and then they were only a minor annoyance ). Thus the 4670 1GB would seem to be the better choice. ( I have one of those in an OLD AGP based system with WnXP and 2GB of RAM that I use only for IL2 1946 and X-Plane. It seems to be entirely adequate there but would not come close to running COD adequately as the CPU is an old Barton 2500+ .)
See the discussion about "using a RAMDRIVE" - pg 9 " COD really will not run without microstutters on a vid card with less than 1.5GB of VRAM - the most you can get with an AGP card is 1GB so you will have some stutters but they can be minimized somewhat by setting the "texture quality" down to "HIGH" and the "trees" to "LOW" (at least that's been my experience). The Battle of Britain was mostly about mid-to high level intercepts anyway with very little intentional "mud-moving" (unlike the Eastern Front). So you should be able to still get enjoyment from BOB-COD till at least there's a 1943 North African expansion ( maybe even then - not many trees in North Africa ) IF you don't try to fly too low when "the Eastern Front" becomes available).

Rattlehead
07-23-2011, 08:15 PM
Hi guys.

I`m upgrading my AGP graphics card and contemplating if the radeon hd 4650 512MB direct X 10 pixel shader4 or the Radeon 4670 1GB direct X10 pixel shader4 would work fine with cliffs of dover.NB My pc specs can handle the cards mentioned regards ps etc.Any suggestions would be welcome even experiences from those still using AGP cards.

Thanks.

Holy...! AGP? You're going to need a PCIE board too, don't forget.
Don't even waste your time with 512Mb, it's nowhere near enough not only for this game, but some others as well.

malta knight
07-24-2011, 10:22 AM
So far it`s the 1GB card you`re suggesting but Rattlehead what`s that about the pcie board, if my motherboard has an agp x8 socket?

Warhound
07-24-2011, 03:34 PM
AGP has been replaced since years by PCI-Express (newest spec is PCI-E 3.0), it has a much higher bandwidth potential than AGP and recent GPU's aren't even made for AGP anymore.

To be honest I fear it's pointless to even try buying a 4670 AGP-card as my 4870 Pci-E card coudn't really run CLOD at a reasonable framerate... and a 46XX card is the budget version with less than half the computing power of a 4850. A design from 2008(!).
To get anywhere near acceptable FPS (possibly even to run CLOD at all) you'll need to upgrade your whole pc ,since you need a motherboard with PCi-E slots..which needs a new CPU, new powersupply and so forth.
So even if the news is bad you better not spend money on an AGP-card that won't help you much.

Ataros
07-24-2011, 06:10 PM
46xx? no way imho.

Rattlehead
07-25-2011, 12:25 PM
So far it`s the 1GB card you`re suggesting but Rattlehead what`s that about the pcie board, if my motherboard has an agp x8 socket?

What Warhound said.

AGP died many years ago and was replaced by PCIE, which is not compatible with AGP.
You will need a whole new board, cpu, ram and card if you want to upgrade.

malta knight
07-26-2011, 03:13 PM
Thanks gents for your recommendations, but apart from the need to invest in a modern pc,i`m not going to throw my present pc away.Ill go ahead do some experimenting, buy the hd 4670IceQ 1GB card,after all it is the best agp card available,do some overclocking,and ill be back with the results.
I don`t think i`m the only one that has a pc with an agp interface, apart from you hard core guys,so I think others will be curious about the outcome,I might even show my results on you tube.That is playing cliffs of dover of course.Who knows I might either end up with a crappy performance or surprise a couple of you high tech guys!!! LOL.

Rattlehead
07-29-2011, 12:11 PM
Thanks gents for your recommendations, but apart from the need to invest in a modern pc,i`m not going to throw my present pc away.Ill go ahead do some experimenting, buy the hd 4670IceQ 1GB card,after all it is the best agp card available,do some overclocking,and ill be back with the results.
I don`t think i`m the only one that has a pc with an agp interface, apart from you hard core guys,so I think others will be curious about the outcome,I might even show my results on you tube.That is playing cliffs of dover of course.Who knows I might either end up with a crappy performance or surprise a couple of you high tech guys!!! LOL.

Well, best of luck.

I honestly would, if I were you, rather than persisting with AGP look to invest in a PCIe setup, or start making plans to.
The thing is, AGP is not supported by hardware vendors in any way anymore...you'll be quite fortunate to find AGP compliant computer hardware nowadays, although it's not impossible to find.