PDA

View Full Version : This game works, when it wants

Kankkis
07-20-2011, 04:26 PM
Can somebody tell me why game performance is different sometimes.

Let me explain:

I just booted my computer, launch steam and game(nothing else), going to crosscountry mission, my game is reallysmooth, full 60 fps and really smooth on very low level flight

Next time when i launch game and steam(nothing else), going to crosscountry i got max.40fps and when flying at very low level, game is it not smooth, there is rubberband effect, i mean no stutter but its not smooth like when i got steady 60fps.

Next time it can be good again and so on, this is really weird thing, any other with same problem. I'll use fraps to check fps. Usually first try if i see it's not smooth i quit game and go into windows and restart the game without booting it can be smooth again.

I just start the game on same computer settings, same mission and time, all is same, sometimes it's not working well and sometimes it's smooth and then it's really nice to fly.

Why the game textures is loading after mission starts, really annoying that stutter, i must pan around and wait to get it smooth, first sim when i see something like that. Sometimes in MP it can take very long with that starting stutter.

Danelov
07-20-2011, 04:42 PM
A temperamental game...:grin:, no serious, maybe RAM. This Sim is a monster always hungry of RAM and without limits.

Tree_UK
07-20-2011, 04:47 PM
Use an old version of fraps, the last patch killed the later versions.

Kankkis
07-20-2011, 06:45 PM
Also, check your CPU & GPU temps. All else being equal, the game should run exactly the same every boot, but if you're pushing your temps, both processors will experience degradation.

Good point.

Rattlehead
07-20-2011, 07:08 PM
Why the game textures is loading after mission starts, really annoying that stutter, i must pan around and wait to get it smooth, first sim when i see something like that.

Texture loading after starting a game does happen in some games from time to time, although it is rare these days.
Not that it should really matter, but have you checked to see that for example your antivirus isn't performing backround tasks or another quite intensive program isn't running in the backround?

Kankkis
07-20-2011, 07:20 PM
Texture loading after starting a game does happen in some games from time to time, although it is rare these days.
Not that it should really matter, but have you checked to see that for example your antivirus isn't performing backround tasks or another quite intensive program isn't running in the backround?

Yeah, tested it without antivir and other programs, i can live with texture loading but it's somehow weird, even when y look planes in menus, i dont remember menuname but even there plane textures come in very slowly

Game is good looking but i think performance is not near what it can be.

All other games is very flyidy on my machine. RoF with supersampling, A-10 allmost max setting and so on.

When we had good performance we have diamond in our hands and i believe that the devs is making their best and we have very very good sim.

Rattlehead
07-20-2011, 09:58 PM
, i can live with texture loading but it's somehow weird,

If I'm not mistaken, the 5970 has 1gb of vram on each gpu, which although 2gb total, still is recognised as 1gb by the game.
What texture detail are you running?

I've found that I have initial texture loading with anything higher than 'medium' texture settings, courtesy of lacking sufficient vram for higher settings.

JG52Krupi
07-20-2011, 10:15 PM
If I'm not mistaken, the 5970 has 1gb of vram on each gpu, which although 2gb total, still is recognised as 1gb by the game.
What texture detail are you running?

I've found that I have initial texture loading with anything higher than 'medium' texture settings, courtesy of lacking sufficient vram for higher settings.

I think Kankkis is using full screen while I am using pseudo full screen to disable my xfire atm.... we have similar systems but apparently completely different experiences.... :(

Rattlehead
07-20-2011, 10:16 PM
I think Kankkis is using full screen while I am using pseudo full screen to disable my xfire atm.... we have similar systems but apparently completely different experiences.... :(

Oh yeah, I forgot about the whole full screen/pseudo full screen thing.

JG52Krupi
07-20-2011, 10:23 PM
FYI I get the 60 to 40 fps drop as well :(

JG27CaptStubing
07-20-2011, 10:28 PM
A temperamental game...:grin:, no serious, maybe RAM. This Sim is a monster always hungry of RAM and without limits.

Interesting that they went with a 32 bit game... Hmmm 64 bit anyone?

Blackdog_kt
07-21-2011, 04:43 PM
I've seen similar texture loading in batches (gradually going from low detail or even completely missing textures to high detail) when flying FSX at very high detail settings with 3rd party scenery add-ons on a friend's PC, that's how i identified it as the main culprit for stutters and low FPS and reduced my texture size appropriately.

I think that it's a two-pronged deal here. It might be possible to further optimize the texture loading system and if/when we get a 64 bit executable have it utilize more RAM, swapping textures between RAM and GPU instead of hard disk and GPU and alllowing us to run higher texture sizes. It might also be possible to optimize texture size in bytes without compromising quality but this is a more long term work.

In the meantime, dropping textures from original to high or medium resolves a lot of problems and results in smooth gameplay, at least for people not using dual GPU setups.

furbs
07-21-2011, 05:11 PM
This is just from memory but didnt Luthier once mention the landscape loading in blocks of 100KM or something?

Kankkis
07-21-2011, 05:32 PM
Yeah im using fullscreen, i got better performance with pseudo because then it disable crossfire, there is plenty of games what doesen't suppot crossfire but this is first game with crossfire is poorer than 1gpu same card, CRAZY. I mean crossfire doesen't need straight support to work faster than 1gpu same card, this is first game when crossfire is slower than same card with 1gpu.

With pseudo i cannot use vsync and i got terrible tearing, this is reason why i use fullscreen.

Doc_uk
07-21-2011, 06:07 PM
I'd say this game still needs alot of tweaking, Performance wise

Corto
07-21-2011, 06:29 PM
Greetings to all Bob COD owners and new USA customers....and 22 Onlineplayers in the US

Kankkis
07-21-2011, 06:43 PM
I'm pretty sure CoD is masterpiece someday, when optimized and more singleplayer content is available i'll play it much in sp and mp.
Now it is on the shelf for waiting better days, i know devs know when it is in good shape it's start to sell very well and long time seller, just like IL2.

I know devs are working very hard with the game and i just want to thank them for that, long days and so on. I'm sure they do what they can but it is enough? I'm pretty sure it is.

Orpheus
07-21-2011, 07:30 PM
Many of us have experienced strange drops in fps and general performance over time, whether whilst playing or over time between sessions.

Many things have been theorised. None have been confirmed. Basically the game code is terrible and there's nothing we can do about it.

It's another case of 'wait for a patch'. As for me, I give up - I'm sick and tired of the way the game (barely) runs. I'll come back in 6 months and see if anything's changed.

:cry:

Blackdog_kt
07-22-2011, 01:33 AM
This is just from memory but didnt Luthier once mention the landscape loading in blocks of 100KM or something?

It's loading in square blocks, true, but i find that texture loading also affects aircraft interiors. First time i ran the sim, a couple of days after the EU release and still unpatched (no way to turn down texture size yet), i could see the cockpit in the twin engined bombers loading a little at a time.

Ever since we got the ability to turn down texture detail/size i've had stable performance and good FPS, at least on my rig it's the setting with the highest effect on these factors.

I'm not even running something stellar mind you, just a good, middle of the road PC i put together two years ago:

i7 920 @ 2.7 GHz (stock clock speeds)
Asus P6T Deluxe motherboard
MSI Cyclone Ati 4890 1GB
Win7 x64 on the slower drive (long story, i used to dual boot), a 1.5TB WD low RPM drive
games on the faster drive, a 1.5TB Seagate barracuda
and only 3GB of RAM