PDA

View Full Version : Hurricane Taxiing

aus3620
07-09-2011, 08:22 AM
Hi Guys,

I have my Hurricane training mission based at Tangmere (via the FMB). From here I have been flying to other bases, doing basic aerobatics etc getting used to the aviation aspects of flying the Hurricane before diving into battle.

In il2 1946 it was relatively easy to taxi aircraft. The Hurricane did not have differential braking and I understand that this is reflected in CLOD. I am having a devil of a time executing a 180 degree turn, for instance, at the end of a runway in preparation for take-off.

Turning right - obviously full right rudder, I even trim the tab to full right. Experimented with throttle etc but I can't find the formula. I usually end up doing a crazy cross-country jaunt

So if anyone has a clue for taxiing aircraft that do not have differential brakes I'd be interested in hearing your method.

Thx

335th_GRAthos
07-09-2011, 08:53 AM
In order to practice:

Select a Spitfire.

Look down on the left side of the cockpit.
There you should see one instrument with three needles (one left, one right and one on top).
This shows the brake pressure available of the system (upper) and the brake pressure applied on the left (left needle) and right (righ needle) wheel.

Press the Brake key and you will see the left and right needle moving upwards (braking).
Release the Brake key.

Now first turn Rudder or turn ailerons left (or right), keep it there and press the Brake key.
You should see only one needle, the left (or right) moving. This shows you which wheel is braking.

Very nice system, easy to see :)

It is a long time since I flew a Huricane but I think it has exactly the sam gauges at the same place as well.

Hope it helps.

~S~

Plt Off JRB Meaker
07-09-2011, 08:53 AM
Ok,if you have'nt,you need to asign a button on your joystick for the brakes.

When taxiying,keep revs low just enough to move,when turning touch brake and use rudder whilst brake is depressed,and you will turn,then release brake and you can carry on along straight.

Practice makes perfect,sometimes you will have to up the revs whilst carrying out this manouvre to speed the process up,but as soon as the aircraft starts moving drop the revs and allow the momentum of the aircraft to carry you round.

Try this,this is how I do it anyway,and the COD brakes are more realistic than the old iL2 1946 ones.

The brake lever,on Spits and Hurri's,yes lever! not pedal,was on the joystick spade,so this was quite a hands on affair.

Anyway try it,you'll soon get it.