PDA

View Full Version : Waves on the ocean move too fast

CaptainDoggles
07-06-2011, 06:53 PM
The waves on the ocean look like it's in fast forward. Is there a way to slow this down in a setting someplace? When you slow motion it down one click using the keyboard button it looks much better. This has bugged me from the start.

pupo162
07-06-2011, 07:00 PM
another "this doesnt look right thread" ???

so far we have

-tracers
-puffs
-waves???

whats next...

drive-by-pilot
07-06-2011, 07:05 PM
u need the high wave speed to prevent sea sickness :-P

Ailantd
07-06-2011, 07:12 PM
The waves on the ocean look like it's in fast forward. Is there a way to slow this down in a setting someplace? When you slow motion it down one click using the keyboard button it looks much better. This has bugged me from the start.

+1000
Also they are too big. It looks like you are flying a lot lower than you are.

bw_wolverine
07-06-2011, 07:17 PM
I thinnnnnnk this is supposed to be a joke thread mimicking Machoo's 'too fast' threads.

CaptainDoggles
07-06-2011, 07:24 PM
I thinnnnnnk this is supposed to be a joke thread mimicking Machoo's 'too fast' threads.

:cool:

RocketDog
07-06-2011, 07:39 PM
Actually, the waves on the ocean do move too fast. It's another self-inflicted idiocy and makes the aircraft and other 3D assets look too small. The devs could have picked a realistic speed, or they could have picked an incorrect speed. Guess what they did? :rolleyes:

Sutts
07-06-2011, 08:01 PM
I agree with this one. If the white foam effect persisted just a little longer it would make the waves look more distant, like they should look from that height.

CaptainDoggles
07-06-2011, 08:08 PM
Wow guys I started this thread facetiously. You all have proved that you'll whine about ANYTHING.

The waves move too fast? Gimme a break.:rolleyes:

Doc_uk
07-06-2011, 08:19 PM
Wow guys I started this thread facetiously. You all have proved that you'll whine about ANYTHING.

The waves move too fast? Gimme a break.:rolleyes: hahahha i like that lol, yes, hook line and sinker lol

pupo162
07-06-2011, 08:39 PM
:cool:

too be honest, i tought you were Macho. didnt care too look at the name of the thread creator.

good one :rolleyes:

Jatta Raso
07-06-2011, 08:46 PM
the real problem is that the sea is scaled incorrectly, when it seems you're about 100m or so you're actually higher and it's awkward to be able to go lower than that and watch the the sea go blurry; imagine that same effect over ground...

kedrednael
07-06-2011, 09:24 PM
I just think it's very strange we have 3D waves in il2 pacific fighters and 1946, everyone loves them I think. But in a newer version we have 2D waves again and they are too big and move too fast... [edit] I think the main problem is the speed the waves are moving, the size could be alright.
and the first video's we saw from SOW where waves hitting the shore and slow 3D waves, and we don't have those.. :confused:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2GtsNqaE1yU&feature=related
for the water look from 6:00
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b3Xe6f6ZzGs&feature=related

I wanted to show a video from Fredgreens acount, he played il2 at the best graphics, but his account has been terminated :(

JG52Krupi
07-06-2011, 09:33 PM
the real problem is that the sea is scaled incorrectly, when it seems you're about 100m or so you're actually higher and it's awkward to be able to go lower than that and watch the the sea go blurry; imagine that same effect over ground...

It was my understanding that its hard to tell when flying so maybe they tried to account for that!

Catseye
07-06-2011, 09:37 PM

I've had the pleasure of crossing the channel a few times and my observations were that it indeed was choppy for most of the crossings. Being shallow and rather windy there was always a sea chop and small whitecaps not the big slow rolling waves usually found in the Ocean. The colour at places was sometimes silty looking but mostly grey/green or a steely colour pending on the weather, time of day and season.

To me in COD it always looks like a windy day with all the chop and foam which is quite possible but it should also look calmer at times with gentle but short rollers.

As far as how things look, I think it is great that this group is putting their comments forward (many from the actual locations) for debate. How else will the devs be able to perfect a sim which is their objective?

louisv
07-06-2011, 10:21 PM
Everybody remembers of course that the water is a place-holder, much better water is (eventually) coming. Remember the tranparent water with the rolling waves that Oleg was showing off last year...

Feathered_IV
07-06-2011, 10:46 PM
I also agree that the current water looks like it is in fast forward. Well so it does. Frikken sue me. :p

JG52Krupi
07-06-2011, 10:59 PM

Well CaptainDoggles what does it feel like to be in a room full of people that don't get sarcasm...:!:

TUSA/TX-Gunslinger
07-06-2011, 11:21 PM
Great joke. For a few seconds I was thinking - "Longitudinal waves vs Transverse waves, the effect of swell in shallow water, etc...."

In the last few months, I've seen one user I know - who's was actually posting from Afganistan on duty - seeing tracers rounds every week - having to argue with forum users about "what tracers actually look like".

Here goes my feeble attempt.....

For 36 years, I've been going to sea - flying in helo's from ship to ship at obviously low alt - and long ago - many Maritime Patrol Aircraft missions back in the mid-80's.

Yes, it's not exactly real - in the confluence of internal waves, swells and Bragg waves in shallow water are not represented - however I never had any expectation that they would be. You want your physics in the Flight Model - not the wave model. No small art trick will ever make that happen.

With that all said, I find the waves and general ocean surface represented better than I expected. It's difficult to tell your exact altitude on the real ocean - and I find a similar feeling with CoD - which I don't find at all in Il2 - mod or otherwise.

Great pun.....

S!

Gunny

Troll2k
07-07-2011, 12:42 AM
If you turn down your vertical resolution the waves will not be as tall.

ZaltysZ
07-07-2011, 05:20 AM
Water we have now is a fall back water for DX9 cards. It is like water=0 in IL2 1946. Transparent water with 3D waves, which was planed, didn't make into release.

SlipBall
07-07-2011, 05:46 AM
Great joke. For a few seconds I was thinking - "Longitudinal waves vs Transverse waves, the effect of swell in shallow water, etc...."

In the last few months, I've seen one user I know - who's was actually posting from Afganistan on duty - seeing tracers rounds every week - having to argue with forum users about "what tracers actually look like".

Here goes my feeble attempt.....

For 36 years, I've been going to sea - flying in helo's from ship to ship at obviously low alt - and long ago - many Maritime Patrol Aircraft missions back in the mid-80's.

Yes, it's not exactly real - in the confluence of internal waves, swells and Bragg waves in shallow water are not represented - however I never had any expectation that they would be. You want your physics in the Flight Model - not the wave model. No small art trick will ever make that happen.

With that all said, I find the waves and general ocean surface represented better than I expected. It's difficult to tell your exact altitude on the real ocean - and I find a similar feeling with CoD - which I don't find at all in Il2 - mod or otherwise.

Great pun.....

S!

Gunny

+1....as a side note, the altimeter gauge is there for a reason:grin:

TUSA/TX-Gunslinger
07-07-2011, 06:27 AM
:)

S!

Gunny

Phazon
07-07-2011, 06:42 AM
Water we have now is a fall back water for DX9 cards. It is like water=0 in IL2 1946. Transparent water with 3D waves, which was planed, didn't make into release.

I hope a water graphics upgrade is coming. It is not up to today's standards and since its mainly shader driven it won't hit performance much. Especially considering the game is mostly optimised to run under DX10 where shader effects are alot easier to implement compared to DX9.

Even DX9 sims like DCS A-10C and Rise of Flight have nicer looking water (not to mention Rise of Flight's water will be upgraded in an upcoming update).

I know they are working on new shoreline effects (was mentioned on a Russian forum) so hopefully improved water is on the list as well.

Dano
07-07-2011, 06:44 AM
I know they are working on new shoreline effects (was mentioned on a Russian forum) so hopefully improved water is on the list as well.

It was mentioned on this forum.

hiro
07-07-2011, 06:54 AM
I love these threads.

yeah they need to model waves correctly.

Like A frames and tubes.

I want my Zero seaplane to get shacked.

Someone at 1C surfs, they made the waves fast so you can get more chances to catch them.

I want to see my Coronado or Do 26 getting rocked on a good swell or even thrashed in stormy seas!

ZaltysZ
07-07-2011, 06:55 AM
I hope a water graphics upgrade is coming. It is not up to today's standards and since its mainly shader driven it won't hit performance much. Especially considering the game is mostly optimised to run under DX10 where shader effects are alot easier to implement compared to DX9.

Not exactly. If water should be transparent (so that you could see sinked ship, plane or submerged sub) and dynamic (dependent on weather), it is not so easy task.

Even DX9 sims like DCS A-10C and Rise of Flight have nicer looking water (not to mention Rise of Flight's water will be upgraded in an upcoming update).

There is no worse water than water above sea level in DCS. Every time I see it, my brain begin to stutter, because water is always rendered like it is at sea level in DCS (very unfortunate fact, because of high elevation areas we have in DCS). This messes altitude, speed perception and gives an awkward feeling.

JG52Krupi
07-07-2011, 07:10 AM
Has to be said that I prefer cod water to rof but rof are bringing out water 2.0 so I will compare them again then...

Walshy
07-07-2011, 02:17 PM
I like the water as it is but then again I'm flying too much to spending anytime looking at it. I liked water = 4 in pacific fighters but then again I was flying too much to be looking at it?? So don't know what the OP is on about, perhaps spending too much time sniffing magic markers!! :-P That's a joke by the way!!!

David198502
07-07-2011, 03:10 PM
I just think it's very strange we have 3D waves in il2 pacific fighters and 1946, everyone loves them I think. But in a newer version we have 2D waves again and they are too big and move too fast... [edit] I think the main problem is the speed the waves are moving, the size could be alright.
and the first video's we saw from SOW where waves hitting the shore and slow 3D waves, and we don't have those.. :confused:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2GtsNqaE1yU&feature=related
for the water look from 6:00
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b3Xe6f6ZzGs&feature=related

I wanted to show a video from Fredgreens acount, he played il2 at the best graphics, but his account has been terminated :(

i will not give a comment on the waves, as they are the last thing that troubles me in COD.i actually think that the ocean looks good.
but i have never seen that video before,....how old is it???
the landscape in this video anyway,looks way better than current one, at least in my opinion.i was astonished by its colours and its overall look.the trees,the houses,the roads and particular the colours are soo superiour to the one we have now.i want them luthier!!!please!

furbs
07-07-2011, 03:19 PM
Yep...lots of people have said the landscape and colors looks much better in those old vids, plus weather, clouds and water... that version of BOB is lost for all time :(

David198502
07-07-2011, 03:20 PM
but why????how could they abandon this landscape and give us the one we have now?

furbs
07-07-2011, 03:23 PM
it also had very nice hedgrows...not like now.

David198502
07-07-2011, 03:28 PM
true. it just has a natural look.i really want this landscape.i even would buy a third version of the game if it would contain it.
i should have not clicked on that video, now i feel bad.

i just follow the developement of COD for one year now, because i didnt know of its existance before.so i didnt see this kind of landscape.
was there any official comment on why they decided to make a new one?when did it happen?did they give some reasons for the decision?did they say that is impossible to revert back to the previous one????
i know, far too many questions, and probably no answers for it, but now i feel like a child who wants to understand the developement of universe.

furbs
07-07-2011, 04:04 PM
I think from memory that vid was made with old version of BOB before 2007...then it was scrapped because i think it was made with the IL2 engine and they wanted to do more.

I just wish if they kept anything from then it was the colours.

David198502
07-07-2011, 04:26 PM
yep the colours are much better than now.

SQB
07-14-2011, 06:14 AM
wait wait wait
Am I the only one who actually rather likes the water in CloD?

Seriously, compare it to the good but not great DCS or RoF water models...

skouras
07-14-2011, 02:15 PM
wait wait wait
Am I the only one who actually rather likes the water in CloD?

Seriously, compare it to the good but not great DCS or RoF water models...

no
i like it too
keep in mind people that the sim is still WIP :rolleyes:

Madfish
07-25-2011, 07:52 PM
The sim is... well, yes... a work in progress. But what's even more a WIP is their next title / addon. I believe we will see most "fixes" through the addons.

I hate the current water though. It's the typical shader stuff that looks modern to many sim fans but not to people who play other (modern) games. Their demo of the transparent water looks delicious though. I wish it'd be in the game and I hope we will see it through a patch.