PDA

View Full Version : Puffs of smoke move too fast

machoo
07-06-2011, 08:19 AM
Puffs of smoke when you hit a plane look like it's in fast forward. Is there a way to slow this down in a setting someplace? When you slow motion it down one click using the keyboard button it looks much better

Tiger27
07-06-2011, 08:58 AM
They look fine to me?

Your not making comparisons with airsoft again are you, it's a bit much to expect to be able to slow down individual puffs of smoke, but you could swap your graphics card for an extremely crap one, which will certainly slow the puffs of smoke down.

Sternjaeger
07-06-2011, 09:13 AM
Puffs of smoke when you hit a plane look like it's in fast forward. Is there a way to slow this down in a setting someplace? When you slow motion it down one click using the keyboard button it looks much better

..you know what time it is...

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_Ql2X4-lHdlI/TUA_VgDsj1I/AAAAAAAABow/1VIdoH4CPnA/s1600/Picard+Headdesk.jpg

Ataros
07-06-2011, 09:23 AM
The world moves too fast...

Sure it's worth starting a new thread.

kedrednael
07-06-2011, 09:27 AM
Yey, again I've got the 3th reply on the most idiotic topic in the forum!

The smoke particles are not shot backwards you can see that with a static camera and stuff.
Maybe you are not compairing with airsoft this time but with il2 1946.
In il2 there was gasresistency, that was low in il2 1946, that ment that when smoke was emmited by a fast moving aircraft the particles would move with the aircraft a bit, because of that the amount of smoke particles could be lower (the emitfrequency could be lower because the distance between the particles would increase less fast as when the particles immidiatly stood still in the air (this really mattered a lot in amount of particles)). I think this is not the case in COD anymore so the particles move at a more real speed.

Sorry for the bad english.

[edit] O Ataros stole my 3th place :(.

[edit] maybe the planes move too fast? I'm sure they can fly well at 100km/h with that propwash? Or the trees wave too fast?

[edit] Is there a way to slow this down in a setting someplace?
YES there is a way, you need to go into the game files and find the .eff files for the smoke that is triggered whit fire and tracer hits etc and then lower the GasResist to 0.03 that is what it is in il2 1946. It's probably higher in COD. good luck.

[edit] too make the smoke look less fast you need make it move faster so it moves with the plane.

Baron
07-06-2011, 09:37 AM
Google "sarcasm"

Ze-Jamz
07-06-2011, 09:51 AM
..you know what time it is...

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_Ql2X4-lHdlI/TUA_VgDsj1I/AAAAAAAABow/1VIdoH4CPnA/s1600/Picard+Headdesk.jpg

That is one quality picture and sums up certain threads perfectly, hell even a few of mine have been worthy of said picture, this one definitely is!

Redroach
07-06-2011, 10:12 AM
machoo, maybe you could provide a list of what else moves in an 'arkward' way (according to you).
Then we could consolidate the 'discussion' in one single thread... which can be closed quickly! :rolleyes:

nynek
07-06-2011, 10:15 AM

That's NOTHING !!!
Wing flexure during high G's maneuvers WAS not implemented. HOW to work with gun convergence is beyond me at that moment of development. In the end ... let's HOPE....

nynek

P.S.
FFS People!!!

Redroach
07-06-2011, 10:33 AM
That's NOTHING !!!
Wing flexure during high G's maneuvers WAS not implemented. HOW to work with gun convergence is beyond me at that moment of development. In the end ... let's HOPE....

nynek

P.S.
FFS People!!!

I don't understand this post. Could you please elaborate? :rolleyes:

Jotaele
07-06-2011, 12:23 PM

There are different .eff files that involved here, i cant check it out now because im at work ( yes , i should not be reading this) , but iirc there are some parametres easily configurables like gravity, or velocity, i will try to see it at home.Good luky and if you get a better smoke plz put a video so we can opine here.

BTW, you should post that kind of topic in MODs section.

philip.ed
07-06-2011, 05:47 PM
God, all the trolling here really says a lot for some of the forum members around here.
The OP makes a very good point, and the issue he mentions lay in the original Il-2 as well (many of the smoke effects there were horribly done. Almost as though the creator had been whipped into producing them extremely quickly).
As has been said, the .eff files usually determine (for instance) the length of time smoke lingers. The best example for comparison is Holy-Grail and Potenz's smoke effects for Il-2. They spent a lot of time getting the .eff values perfect, which makes their effects look really realistic. Smoke lingers realistically, and smoothly dissipates. It's a shame the same can't really be said for CloD, and I doubt it's something that will be looked at in the short-term TBH (unless by modders).

Redroach
07-06-2011, 05:59 PM
God, all the trolling here really says a lot for some of the forum members around here.

maybe you missed his other thread about how the OP makes comparisonns
http://forum.1cpublishing.eu/showthread.php?t=24287

philip.ed
07-06-2011, 06:50 PM
I really don't care. His question here was a good one, and is a definite case of lazy programming. ;)

Redroach
07-06-2011, 08:31 PM
Of course you don't. That's why such threads keep appearing

philip.ed
07-06-2011, 08:38 PM
I am not a member of the thought-police, so I have no control over the posters' decisions to create these topics. In this case, the OP was quite right to mention the poor state of the smoke-effects.

machoo
07-07-2011, 06:07 AM
It's a legit question , it just got lost in the other thread when they went on about airsoft or some crap.

hiro
07-07-2011, 07:16 AM

The reason is

Set following .ini settings

SpawnDocBrown=0
SpawnMartyMcFly=0

BTF

LibyanTerroristsSpeed=1
Dolorean=0
Mr.Fusion=0
FluxCapacitor=0

Sternjaeger
07-07-2011, 10:00 AM
It's a legit question , it just got lost in the other thread when they went on about airsoft or some crap.

erm, no, let's get the facts straight please:

1) you post yet one "omg the tracers are porked!" thread, posting a video which obviously shows that
2) you don't understand a thing about firearms/tracers (as opposed to people here who actually do)
3) you insist that that's what things should look like, even if you're given evidence that your point isn't valid.

Your second post is no different, you don't provide any FACTUAL information or evidence to support your theory.

But anyway, yet again for the sake of science: when you hit something that is flying at a speed of at least 200mph it is very unlikely you'll have "lingering puffs of smoke" on the impact area, because of your airspeed and your propeller slipstream (unless you hit them with something that actually causes an explosion).

Sternjaeger
07-07-2011, 10:03 AM
The OP makes a very good point, and the issue he mentions lay in the original Il-2 as well (many of the smoke effects there were horribly done. Almost as though the creator had been whipped into producing them extremely quickly).
As has been said, the .eff files usually determine (for instance) the length of time smoke lingers. The best example for comparison is Holy-Grail and Potenz's smoke effects for Il-2. They spent a lot of time getting the .eff values perfect, which makes their effects look really realistic. Smoke lingers realistically, and smoothly dissipates. It's a shame the same can't really be said for CloD, and I doubt it's something that will be looked at in the short-term TBH (unless by modders).

I'm sorry but I disagree mate. Smoke shouldn't linger because the laws of physics say otherwise. As for the troll issue, I believe you're defending one on this stand.

carguy_
07-07-2011, 10:10 AM
Some charts to prove it maybe?:grin:

Sternjaeger
07-07-2011, 10:42 AM
Some charts to prove it maybe?:grin:

hehehehe even better, I can suggest books ;)

http://www.amazon.com/Fundamentals-Aerodynamics-Aeronautical-Aerospace-Engineering/dp/0073398101/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1310035029&sr=8-1

or, just to make it easier (for some of our thicker forum members..)

http://www.amazon.com/Physics-Dummies-Steve-Holzner/dp/0764554336/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1310035004&sr=8-1

If you want an empirical demonstration of what I'm saying, get yourself a cooling fan and a matchstick. The fan will simulate the slipstream of the propeller and the matchstick will be your puff of smoke.. light the matchstick, put it in the slipstream of the fan and see how long the smoke lingers..

JG52Krupi
07-07-2011, 10:49 AM
I can't quite believe this thread has reached three pages... O.o

Walshy
07-07-2011, 01:53 PM
Oh gawd is this still going ............

philip.ed
07-07-2011, 02:41 PM
I'm sorry but I disagree mate. Smoke shouldn't linger because the laws of physics say otherwise. As for the troll issue, I believe you're defending one on this stand.

Smoke doesn't just disappear, it will dissipate but smoothly. Obviously, at the speed the planes are travelling, you probably won't be in a position to notce this process, but this is not the case in CloD.
Just watch any gun-cam videos, and one can see the smoke which comes out from an A/C when hit comes out smoothly. It doesn't just appear and then disappear. This should be a relatively easy fix, it's not something major (unless the damage effects in-game are not future-proofed).

I'm not bothered if the OP has trolled before. I saw the other topic and laughed, but despite the phrasing here, what he is pointing out is an issue that was in the original Il-2, and is clearly in CloD, too.

Sternjaeger
07-07-2011, 03:00 PM
Smoke doesn't just disappear, it will dissipate but smoothly. Obviously, at the speed the planes are travelling, you probably won't be in a position to notce this process, but this is not the case in CloD.
Just watch any gun-cam videos, and one can see the smoke which comes out from an A/C when hit comes out smoothly. It doesn't just appear and then disappear. This should be a relatively easy fix, it's not something major (unless the damage effects in-game are not future-proofed).

I'm not bothered if the OP has trolled before. I saw the other topic and laughed, but despite the phrasing here, what he is pointing out is an issue that was in the original Il-2, and is clearly in CloD, too.

Fair enough. Can you please link me to any guncamera footage that shows the hits and smoke? Mind you though, I would need it from .303 armed planes and MG/FF armed ones.

philip.ed
07-07-2011, 05:01 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zv8rFPLN_Fg
not too hard to find by yourself, TBH :cool: Obviously effects like the smoke vortex are complex to model, but it shows the general idea.
This applies to all smoke, BTW. Notice that when an A/C crahses in CloD, some of the smoke disappears very quickly.