PDA

View Full Version : Using 'Boost' on the Spitfire

banned
07-03-2011, 04:04 AM
Hey guys,
I did search for this and found a little bit of info, just not enough though. Could someone explain how to use the boost in the Spitfire and when to use it.
I see the lever for the boost cutoff but I would just like to know what it does and when to use it. :)
Thank you.

banned
07-04-2011, 02:25 AM
Hey guys,
I did search for this and found a little bit of info, just not enough though. Could someone explain how to use the boost in the Spitfire and when to use it.
I see the lever for the boost cutoff but I would just like to know what it does and when to use it. :)
Thank you.
Anybody?

Orpheus
07-04-2011, 02:41 AM
Hi Banned!

As far as I know, the Boost Cutout on the Spit activates the War Emergency Power. Don't leave it pulled out for too long :)

banned
07-04-2011, 03:11 AM
Hi Banned!

As far as I know, the Boost Cutout on the Spit activates the War Emergency Power. Don't leave it pulled out for too long :)
Thanks mate. I've pushed the lever before but I could never bring it back again. I'll give it another go tonight. Thanks again :)

Orpheus
07-04-2011, 03:17 AM
Yeah it's a bit funny... the only way I can describe it is to pull it out with the mouse, then push it back in with the reverse motion.

Or bind a key to it :D

banned
07-04-2011, 07:28 AM
Yeah it's a bit funny... the only way I can describe it is to pull it out with the mouse, then push it back in with the reverse motion.

Or bind a key to it :D
I'll bind a key to it. Thanks again mate.

notimejeff
11-08-2011, 02:51 PM
It's called the Automatic Boost Cut-out Override. Seems that pilots in battle used it to get extra power despite official orders not to do so as it fouled up the engine.
http://forum.1cpublishing.eu/showthread.php?t=22308

ATAG_Snapper
11-08-2011, 08:56 PM
Hey guys,
Thank you.

It's just a physical block, or gate, that when opened allows you to push (open) your throttle a little more. You can now close it again once you bring your throttle back a bit -- this was a glitch that was resolved with the latest patches.

When you opt to use the boost override and advance your Constant Speed Prop lever fully forward for maximum boost, remember you only have a minute or two before your Merlin blows a gasket and horrible things quickly happen.

In the real Spits there was also a small wire that was broken when boost override was used -- the erks would routinely have to check it once you'd landed. If it was indeed broken they'd quietly curse your immediate ancestry since it meant additional checks on your Merlin's integrity had to be undertaken before the Chief Rigger could sign off on it as being fit for duty!

drewpee
11-09-2011, 12:18 AM
Quote:
In the real Spits there was also a small wire that was broken when boost override was used -- the erks would routinely have to check it once you'd landed. If it was indeed broken they'd quietly curse your immediate ancestry since it meant additional checks on your Merlin's integrity had to be undertaken before the Chief Rigger could sign off on it as being fit for duty!
Dam if that were true I'd be kicked out of the air force. The condition I bring my birds home in I'm sure in real life it would be easier for the ground crew to be waiting with a can of fuel and a box of matches.

Redroach
11-10-2011, 11:20 PM
But: Does the boost actually work right now? At least in the Hurricane, I should get at least a 'bit' more boost on the gauge, but I don't - and I think it's the same in the Spit Ia, too.

SEE
11-10-2011, 11:44 PM
Someone I spoke to on-line reckons it does but I have yet to see any noticeable performance increase whatsover. The data was extracted from the SpitMk1/a FM file prior to the CSP patch - (it's in a thread somewhere showing the exact data) - the boost figure at that time was 0.002Ilbs/sq. (assuming that the data was extracted correctly and accuarate).

Whiski
11-11-2011, 11:44 AM
I use the Boost cut out frequently, and leave it on at all times but keep my throttle back below %100 so it is not engaged until I go past the gate.

I didn't notice any real difference in speed while boost is engaged, nor do I notice any difference in climb rate or take off distance. I really never tested it either so I really can't say one way or the other for sure if it works in game or not. Will start a test today and share my results.

Whiskey