PDA

View Full Version : New sounds -does this mean realistic

Trumper
07-02-2011, 06:12 AM
OK. We have been told the potted history of the old sounds programmer and now we have the new sounds being worked on but a simple question,
Do new sounds mean REALISTIC SOUNDS, If you are going to start again at least PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE get them correct.
Any doubts as to what they sound like pop into Duxford next week and you will hear them
http://fighter-collection.com/legendstrailer.html

xnomad
07-02-2011, 06:58 AM
Les had some very insightful views on this in a recent thread:

http://forum.1cpublishing.eu/showpost.php?p=302765&postcount=33

Here's the entire original thread:
http://forum.1cpublishing.eu/showthread.php?t=24105

Robert
07-02-2011, 07:54 AM
I'm beginning to think the coded sounds in CoD are part of the issue with poor performance. I remember several games where certain audio drivers really brought game performance down. If I experimented I was able to get better performance.

With the audio coding being redone I'm suspecting that we may see a very marked improvement of FPS and stutters. I have nothing to really back this up. It's just a hopeful suspicion.

I hope 1C manages to create more realistic sounds as well. Both would be a pleasant benefit to the game.

Dano
07-02-2011, 07:58 AM
Pop your soundcard out or disable it and let us know the results :)

Tree_UK
07-02-2011, 08:28 AM
OK. We have been told the potted history of the old sounds programmer and now we have the new sounds being worked on but a simple question,
Do new sounds mean REALISTIC SOUNDS, If you are going to start again at least PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE get them correct.
Any doubts as to what they sound like pop into Duxford next week and you will hear them

+ 1000, if we are having new sounds lets make them great, I.E as far away as possible from any of the sounds you've done before.

Ze-Jamz
07-02-2011, 09:03 AM
Im very intrigued though

JimmyBlonde
07-02-2011, 10:43 AM
Can you manually lower the number of sound counts through the config?

Baron
07-02-2011, 01:34 PM

If i had to guess, not realistic. At least not in the sense many here think is realistic, as in take a sound from You Tube and loop it.

But it will probably be good just the same. ;)

Trumper
07-02-2011, 02:02 PM
They've got a chance now to get it right,it doesn't need to be rushed unless the want to put a better version in as a place holder whilst they fine tune the rest of it.
It has just got to be alot better than the stock sounds ,you should be able to know what plane it is by sound rather than just by looking.
Oh well we can but hope
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P2nlGN6aS8g&feature=related

Plt Off JRB Meaker
07-02-2011, 04:10 PM
All the same,I'm counting on Jafa and his latest sound mod when it's done,you know he won't dissapoint;)

Ze-Jamz
07-02-2011, 04:25 PM
All the same,I'm counting on Jafa and his latest sound mod when it's done,you know he won't dissapoint;)

Well all due respect to Jafa, I've used his sound mods in Il2 to death but you know if we can have a game that will tick all the boxes without using external mods then that has to be better for the community?..

I dont want another divide like Il2 that's for certain, and that Mod war is still going on now with what's right and what's wrong..who's right and who's wrong so for me I'm hoping this games content will be enough to keep everyone happy...at least for a while anyhow

Trumper
07-02-2011, 04:33 PM
:) If Jafa can do such an excellent job ,then so should someone else who has all the tools and code.

ElAurens
07-02-2011, 04:35 PM
It's easier for Jafa, as he is not concerned about violating copyrights to rip sounds. A real publisher cannot do that.

Robert
07-02-2011, 04:38 PM
Pop your soundcard out or disable it and let us know the results :)
I'd love to, but ATM, though I have the game, it won't be activated until the U.S. release. Rrrrgh.

smink1701
07-02-2011, 04:49 PM
"We are redoing our sound from scratch. It is proceeding at a better pace than expected. It’s already in a working alpha state, and everyone loves it."
-Luthier

This is very interesting on two counts:

1. Since the process is going so fast I wonder if sounds will be re-worked by the July 19 U.S. release? BTW...I'm betting that date gets moved back.

2. When the new sound is introduced, it will be interesting to see if "we" love the new sound as much as the new / improved developers.

Sound has always been one of the weakest parts of the IL2 franchise. I remember before Clod was released we were told the sounds would be great. Not so much. So it will be interesting to see what they come back with. I'm thinking they will be better and hopefully other things will be added like sfx for landing gear, open cockpit wind, additional sfx beyond the current "click" for switches, cowl, etc...but I'm hoping folks like Jafa and Big Pickle keep doing their great sound mods because team Luthier may come up short.

Trumper
07-02-2011, 05:50 PM
It's easier for Jafa, as he is not concerned about violating copyrights to rip sounds. A real publisher cannot do that.
I don't have ROF but apparently that sound is terrific,hold on i'll look at a link.Sounds excellent to me,so how did they do that without copywrite?
If it is artificially created then why can't it be done on WW11 engines?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ywug11nLFfg&feature=related

fireflyerz
07-02-2011, 09:51 PM

:rolleyes: and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on aint got clue ave ya:rolleyes:

To everyone else-if they have got the sound guy from ROF then there on to a winner his work is very superb.

Trumper
07-02-2011, 10:32 PM
To everyone else-if they have got the sound guy from ROF then there on to a winner his work is very superb.
So that means the sound guy made the ROF sounds from scratch,not too many ww1 engines around now.If he can do that then surely then D-Benz and Rolls Royce must be achievable to a certain degree.

JimmyBlonde
07-03-2011, 02:28 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wyFuZuleVc4&feature=player_embedded

:)

Trumper
07-03-2011, 08:52 AM
:) That is very very nice so lets get it right eh :)
No copywrite issues ,just pure sounds.They been given a chance ,let them use it.:) no more lawn mowers PLEASE.

kendo65
07-03-2011, 04:00 PM
If it comes out as well as ROF it will be a big improvement.

Does anyone know if 'redoing everything from scratch' means that the pilot/ground control chat will be redone as well (or at least the British elements)? Right now it is very poor - weaker, in my opinion, than original il-2.

1. Devoid of character - the clipped 'received pronunciation' ('posh' like the Queen!) has a place, but the RAF was a diverse organisation - South Africans, New Zealanders, Scots, Irish, all kinds of regional English accents too. Original il-2 did a better job in this respect. Right now it's like a lampooned idea of stereotyped Englishness by someone who has never been to the country.

2. The annoying micro-pauses where the various speech elements are added together - needs to be tightened up to make it sound like natural speech.

3. Should use correct terminology - bandits, angels, etc.

4. The targetting system ('I will take the leader of the second flight.......blah, blah) is tortuous, stilted and badly done. It would be better to leave this out completely than to do it this badly.

5. Some of the scripting is just poor - eg: "This is the commander speaking"
No-one I think would say that, except maybe in Doctor Who :).

Please could we get some more character in there. Also, despite the recent furore over ****** and **** in the heat of life and death situations in the air swear words would definitely be used. I don't expect they will make it but at least can we get a depiction of the stressed reality rather than a bloody genteel afternoon tea party in Knightsbridge!

"This is the commander speaking.. I will take......two...lumps of sugar......in my tea"

Thanks

White Owl
07-03-2011, 04:46 PM
It occurs to me that truly realistic sounds in a flight sim isn't really possible, since aircraft are all so freaking loud it's a bad idea to be anywhere close to them without hearing protection. That same hearing protection muffles and changes the tone of everything you hear. Reality frankly sounds very unpleasant most of the time unless you're standing at least a hundred yards away. As for those cockpit switches... do you really believe the pilot can hear any "click" at all while wearing the flying helmet with the Merlin rumbling a few feet in front of him?

So what's needed isn't realistic sounds, but artful sounds. I think I'd like to hear an idealized version of aircraft engines, with most of the rough pitches smoothed out and lots of bass. Something like what the audience at an airshow hears when the warbirds do a flyby. That would be good.

Trumper
07-03-2011, 05:58 PM
How about realistic sounds but not at high volume,don't forget you will probably blow something up at realistic volumes anyway.

JimmyBlonde
07-03-2011, 11:09 PM
lol Kendo, I agree with the inclusion of swearing.

Anybody who doesn't like swearing is welcome to stand 200yds away from me whilst I fire eight .303 MGs at them simultaneously. Then we'll see how long their idiotic prejudice against strong language holds out.