PDA

View Full Version : Re: Av8r

alsevillajr
06-28-2011, 08:47 PM
Silly me...I just noticed that the mechanical slop on this stick was affecting flight characteristics...very critical for landing, if I may point out...for dogfighting..well, we all need to be precise there as well....I fly with custom settings...for the purists out there...not to seem to be Mr know it all...this is meant for newer aviators on the board.:)

Sensitivity is still at 100% for all functions...Programming just the right amount of dead zone and nonleniality will make the slop insignificant...you would require a slight increase in pressure or movement...but makes her fly like a dream...I'm still working on it and it seems the rudder needs a lot more work...

I just gave the rudder about 3/4 non-liniality, no dead zone.... no slop here anyway...she gave a much smother ride...not too much tail waging...you really don't want a very aggressive rudder...may cause tip stall...

Just thought this may help...

Rambo Rich 360
06-29-2011, 07:35 AM
I wish this would work on the xbox version. :(

flynlion
06-29-2011, 03:20 PM
I wish this would work on the xbox version. :(

Agreed! Hopefully they'll get the flight stick issues sorted out before the sequel.

alsevillajr
07-08-2011, 08:33 PM
Finally, after countless and frustrating attempts to accomplish "Inspect Airfields"...I did it...mainly due to the Tip over bug is why it made it ever so difficult. Why I am posting this is to get comments on, or debunk my theory that it was more forgiving to set Layout controls to (Aviator Layout). I did it after 2 tries!!! I had my controller layout on (Custom) the whole time and was almost a crap shoot if I tipped over or not...trying all techniques known to man:evil:

bobbysocks
07-09-2011, 06:47 AM
on XBOX....i have had 2 of these sticks. i had the AV8R and the FLY 9. both had flaws that left me repairing/modding....etc. the ace edge stick has given me a year of good play with no bad results. i will have to say that either my DSL connection or the connectivity of the AE stick does have a disadvantage in regrades to speed of maneuvers...etc. i blame my connection after talking to some other players i have met. regardless, i love this stick and wont chance back. SEE, on here has one he has modded and it seems to work well for him. if you have issues see what he has posted or PM him. if you are PSN...ask one of the boys on there.

whoarmongar
07-09-2011, 07:23 AM
I have the AV8R and I have found it much better to use since I have compressed the spring at the base of the stick with some cable ties. It takes a little bit of trial and error as you still need the spring to centre the stick but you certainly dont need the spring to be as powerfull as it is originally. Originally I found I was having to apply to much presure to the stick to overcome the spring centreing, this made fine control difficult and was fatiguing on long flights when constant slight adjustments were needed in flight.
Now the sticks fine, its centred, and only a light touch on the stick is needed to make the aircraft respond. This mod was recomended by someone on this forum (cant remember who) and I highly recomend it.

alsevillajr
07-09-2011, 07:46 AM
I'm sure it's not about connectivity since I was not online anyway...and BTW not much activity on line it appears unless or by invitation or schedule...I was simply stating that on the Aviator setting (default setting), the tip over still occurs but the inputs seem to respond better to it...on custom I have about 3 clicks of nonleniality dialed in on the elevator, on that particular mission with full sensitivity...to remove the slop on the stick

alsevillajr
07-09-2011, 08:22 AM
That was a great tip...I just tried it and it works like a charm...thanks old chap:)

alsevillajr
07-09-2011, 07:02 PM
Back to my observation about Layouts and settings...I'm making it official...having the layout on Aviator makes the "Tip Over" bug almost negligible and on some landings it does not even "Tip"...Having the layout on "Custom" does allow for a much crisper response on the stick, hence allows for finer adjustments and customize buttons...just don't use it when you're on a mission that you know you have to land. Also, when on "Custom", on some missions earlier in the Campaign, when the secondary objective was to land on an airfield, after you are given that option...it will not allow you to use the select button...what I did back then was to "pause" and switch back to "Aviator layout", which I thought was a PITA...I know...this game has been out for 2 years now and may not even concern yourself with this but thought I would post it anyway for the new aviators out there...and for you hard core Sim guys...if you didn't know...now you do:) I doubt if you hard core sim guys would be using an AV8R anyway:rolleyes:

SEE
07-09-2011, 07:36 PM
If your on Xbox your stuck with a choice of AV8R, Game controller, Fly 9 or the Ace Edge and your also stuck with a deadzone. Any improvements or alternatives have to come from Microsoft not the developers of the title - they cannot do anything about it unfortunately. PS3 guys have the Sony edge when it comes to flight sims!

Robotic Pope
07-10-2011, 01:05 AM
If your on Xbox your stuck with a choice of AV8R, Game controller, Fly 9 or the Ace Edge and your also stuck with a deadzone. Any improvements or alternatives have to come from Microsoft not the developers of the title - they cannot do anything about it unfortunately. PS3 guys have the Sony edge when it comes to flight sims!

Actually the devs were telling a little lie when they said that Microsoft doesn't allow developers to change stick dead zones.The developer can set the sensitivity and deadzone to whatever they think is best for their game. I remember Bioware's Mass Effect 2 and Dragon Age origins had next to no dead zone on the sticks making it a right pain to play with a worn joypad with sloppy sticks (This is why BoP has a big deadzone). And in game customisation is allowed too as Over G fighters has one of the best custom stick setups I have seen on console with complete axis range and sensitivity and deadzone adjustment. So there is the proof that their is no excuse for BoS not to have full stick customisation on both PS3 and 360. Which is why customisation has been confirmed and not just for PS3.

flynlion
07-11-2011, 01:14 AM
Flight stick customization has been confirmed for 360? Thanks Pope, you just made my day :grin:

Rambo Rich 360
07-11-2011, 06:07 PM
I'll have to checkout the custom layout in Over-G (if I can find it in their funky menu system). If that's the case i'll have to take another look at the game.

Really is a shame that BoP doesn't have that ability on the Xbox. I would be using the AV8R more often if it did. I just can't deal with the deadzone and only use it every now and then on sim.

Slothboy
07-11-2011, 06:46 PM
Yeah, the deadzone in the Ace Edge is a bit annoying. Basically I now use the Ace Edge for sim play and the regular controller for realistic. I'm hoping that birds of steel will not have the deadzone. (brakes would be nice too.)

alsevillajr
07-11-2011, 07:16 PM
One thing to note when in custom...using the Spit as an example...on aviator layout...with about 5 clicks down on your elevator sensitivity you will most likely not stall or spin out, regardless of how hard or how far back you lean on the stick...however on custom...whether you adjust the sensitivity and nonleniality levels to your taste...which really smooths it out...however low you set the settings at...if you lean on the stick too hard you still risk spinning out...but the controls are much more sensitive and accurate