PDA

View Full Version : always turning left, no engines, trim reset only in mp.

Snakedoktor
06-27-2011, 11:55 PM
Hi,

ive been waiting till this game gets patched somewhat before i get into it properly but it seems to be running reasonably now. i have been playing and learning to fly with CEM and TM in single player but i want to get into some multiplayer fistycuffs.
however whenever i get into a plane i seem to be turning left. i am idle on the ground i.e no engines running but i am still turning left. i try to take off but have to keep my rudder fully right just to roll straight, then when i get airborne my left wing immediately drops and i hit the ground.
if my engines were running i would assume that my trim is not reset but even with no power i spin left
..... also this is only in mp!!!
WTF??

i am using x-52 fyi

Danelov
06-27-2011, 11:58 PM
And with wich model of plane?

Snakedoktor
06-28-2011, 12:05 AM
sorry.

happening with spitfire mk2 and bf-109 very badly. i tried it with the hurricane on an empty server and managed to get airborne but i still get the same effect.

i dont think this is a plane issue as it occurs as soon as i hit create.
i will jump into cockpit and the plane is rotating left on the spot. the back wheel is pointing right so it is moving with a centre of motion somewhere in the middle of the plane.

{dz}
06-30-2011, 12:17 AM
hi,i have same problem,just been flying spitfire on mp,plane starts to turn left on ground,had this happen a couple of times,im also on a standard saitek x52

335th_GRAthos
06-30-2011, 12:40 AM
Hmmm...

Well, it has to do with what is called torque of the engine.

Remember these are fighter planes with huge engines so any changes to the rpm of the engine will cause the whole airplane "roll" along the axis.

For those with cars (I do not know your age guys so I make some assumptions), those with big engines (V6, V8) situated along the length of the car, if you step on the gas suddently, you will feel the car body rolling.

For those without cars, it is the wheel of the bicycle, when the wheel is spinning, it is very difficult to turn it to a diffenent direction, there is a powerful force causing it to roll.
It is the reason why the bicycle stays up when it is moving while we can not balance the bicycle while it is standing.

for those who have neither cars, nor bicycles, maybe you have a gyroscope, you can see the effect there, as long as it is spinning and your are trying to chance its direction, you feel the forces.

To cut the long story short, it is normal that the aiplane veers to the right or to the left (depending the way propeller turns) when you are accelerating (or decelerating).

You can compesate this by applying sufficient rudder to the opposite direction.

I hope it helps.

Happy take offs!

~S~

Ali Fish
06-30-2011, 12:49 AM
i confirm this too. No amount of rudder was capable of inducing anything other than straight movement. adjusting right wasnt an option. I for the life of me could not take off straight with many attempts to trim or remove whatever initial trim was causing the issue. and on every attempt i just pull left into the buildings. Also on ground taxiing i simply could not turn any other way no rudder or brakes would help. This was on the air quake server. Also before even getting to runway, no matter what i did the water radiator would perforate. full radiators open. hurricane rotol, spitifre 1 and spitfire 1a all the same.

moved to repka 1 and problem was gone. all functions functioning correctly.

Ali Fish
06-30-2011, 12:57 AM
Sometimes the plane will spawn and begin rotating left or right, I believe its called... "Wind"

If your having the problem when hammering the throttle, that's torque, and needs to be countered with rudder.

so the wind is so powerfull its moving a static plane " in a hangar with concrete walls " counter intuitivly to where its pointing and considering the wheel alignment. not to mention the apparent winds perpendicular forces exceeding the wheels natural abbility to travel in there intended direction. such environmentals may mean zero flight. call it what you want but it is not wind. ill call it a character of the physics software .(not quite a bug)

whoarmongar
07-02-2011, 08:48 AM
The appologists will cry "wind" or engine torque or whatever probably without ever seeing this effect .

Its actually quite common in many flight sims iv seen it many times, although never quite so bad as in Cliffs of dover.

I find the ONLY way to counter it with single engine aircraft is use your wheel brakes, obviously with RAF aircraft you will be using your rudder as well as the brake control is tied to your rudder control.

Usually a quick dab of counter brake as soon as you spawn into the craft will stop this movement, in more severe cases you will have to keep dabing your brakes as you roll down the runway at least until you can lift the tail.

It is an anoying bug or feature call it what you will, and seems more prenounced in multiplayer missions for some reason.

Its best just to pretend in your own mind that your taking off in a sixty knot crosswind and that noone is watching your erratic progress down the tarmac from the control tower.

simcoles
07-06-2011, 07:58 AM
I have been experiencing the same problem intermittently, also using a standard Saitek X52 joystick (don't know if this is coincidence). The effects are much more than can be put down to torque or wind (I have been flying il2 for 5 years +). When it occurs I have to fight with full rudder, brakes and everything just to keep her straight (Spitfire Mk 1a), if I do mange to get her airborne even if I increase the trim to full right the aircraft still pulls left. Also I get a weird elevator effect where nothing happens when I pull gently on the stick and then all of a sudden a violent jolt upwards, this coupled with the rudder trim problem can make flying impossible.

Ataros
07-06-2011, 09:31 AM
Also I get a weird elevator effect where nothing happens when I pull gently on the stick and then all of a sudden a violent jolt upwards, this coupled with the rudder trim problem can make flying impossible.

Use JoyTester 2 to test your joystick output.
http://www.rp-team.ru/forum/download.php?id=12&sid=b109e9ee302c1c4907ade0a994308fe2

Some joysticks produce spikes on the same axis you are moving, some produce spikes on say ailerons when you pull vator. I take this software to a shop when I am selecting a joy.

Example of how it works
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XnRFDepi3uI&feature=player_embedded

Pretty smooth spiral in this case means it is a good joystick.

It may be a case the program works only with device #1, try disconnecting all other joystick except the one you are testing if this is the case.

Also you can see spikes in Saitek control panel on the deadzones page when they get really bad.

Ataros
07-06-2011, 09:46 AM
Sometimes the plane will spawn and begin rotating left or right, I believe its called... "Wind"

If your having the problem when hammering the throttle, that's torque, and needs to be countered with rudder.

Exactly. Hangars do not stop wind yet as far as I understand. Wind depends on server settings and can be as strong as 50 m/s. We try to keep wind set almost to 0 at Repka servers (but had some experiments recently with different settings).

Stock game MP missions have high wind setting which gives the effect discussed here.

What servers are you talking about?

Blackdog_kt
07-06-2011, 06:53 PM
Like cheesehawk says, if the aircraft rotate continuously it's probably a terrain friction bug, but if they turn and stop at a certain point it's a high speed crosswind (they turn into the wind and stop when they become aligned to it).

You can see this on the stock cross country mission if you select a Tiger Moth, it will yaw right and then stop after a while.

As for lockable tailwheels, i haven't yet found any aircraft in the sim that have one but i think it's done on purpose, many aircraft didn't have them in reality either.

Basha
07-10-2011, 09:55 AM
Sometimes when i join a server even with il2 1946 i will spawn with a full rudder to the left i think it is, its a intermitant problem that makes my wing drop on take off and hard to keep straight on taxing...the answer is to turn joystick full rudder left and right a couple of time to reset the rudder inline, i still get that silly ground movement thing tho at times :confused:

draux
07-23-2011, 02:13 PM
I have this problem too. No way its wind or engine torque. Its so bad sometimes I have to spin all the way around a few times before I taxi. Like Im on the wheel of misfortune. No amount of wheel brakes, or control input seem to have any effect. And take off is almost impossible while this is happening. Once in the air things seem to get a lot better. Also, Its a problem I have only run into online.

katdogfizzow
07-25-2011, 06:39 PM
I had this problem also. Here is what fixed it:

My AXES setting had incorrect mapping under my controls, setting full rudder apparently...i.e. "ghost input"

Look for the rudder trim under the AXES tab and remap it to your desired input. Mine was incorrect. When I went in and re-mapped all was good.

Logitech extreme 3d pro

Also, i have also seen videos where the wind physics were possibly off when on the ground