PDA

View Full Version : JU88 start second engine

335th_GRAthos
06-26-2011, 10:35 PM
OK, I am doing something obviously wrong!
Easy: First is to mess with German planes...:)
The second is more difficult: I can not start the (right) second engine of the JU88
Select engine
turn on fuel cocks (all of them)
throttle at 20% (or anything, no influence to the final result)
pro pitch to fine or coarce (or anything, no influence to the final result)
press I to start the engine
the engine goes through the start sequence and dies out :(

WTF, did I forget to say please or anything????

Engine #1 (left) starts and holds, no problem.

~S~

JG53Frankyboy
06-26-2011, 11:11 PM
Let me guess you havent REALY opend the fuelcock for the right engine!
In shortcuts you need fuelcock #1 foe left engine and #2 for rigt engine

335th_GRAthos
06-26-2011, 11:58 PM
Yeah, you are right!

It seems the cockpit fuel cocks #3 - #8 are there but are completely useless because you need to open cock #1 for the left and #2 for the right using the keyboard :(

Thanks for the tip :)

Warhound
06-27-2011, 12:21 AM
Fuelcocks 1 and 2 work for me with the mouse..they are hidden behind your seat on the leftside though. Once you find em just click and the engines will run just fine.

Blackdog_kt
06-27-2011, 07:35 AM
I already replied in another topic but just in case you miss it, i'll repeat it here too.

The fuel cocks behind the seat select which feeder tank each engine is fed from (left/right tank or both).

The rest of the fuel controls in the switchboard (on the left side of the cockpit) are probably fuel pumps.

What really happened in the Ju88 is that the engines were fed only from two tanks. To get the fuel from the remaining tanks the pilot had to pump fuel from, for example, the auxiliary tank in the bomb bay to the feeder tanks.

In other words the fuel tanks are serially connected: tank 1->tank 2,etc->feeder tank->engine

The switchboard just allows the pilot to select which tank's contents go into the feeder tank.

That being said, i don't know exactly how it works or even if it's correctly modeled in the sim, so i turn everything on just in case. This might not be optimal in case of a fuel leak.

On the other hand, if the sim does model the fuel system correctly, then turning on only the two fuel cocks hidden behind the seat can give you surprises: you might have tons of fuel in the remaining tanks but if you don't pump them to the feeders, your engines will quit once the feeder tanks are dry.

I had once found a good resource about how it all really worked but i can't remember where i put it on my hard drive :-P

335th_GRAthos
06-27-2011, 08:18 AM
Fuelcocks 1 and 2 work for me with the mouse..they are hidden behind your seat on the leftside though.

Hmmm.... this sounds like another conspiracy against the poor SODs without 6DOF, right? :D

I can not see to the left of my seat, I can just glimpse at the prop pitch levers but hardly see them. I presume this is where the fuel cocks #1 and #2 are...
OK, OK, I will disable my TRACKIR and move with my mouse to look to the side of my seat... ;)

Thank you very much for the explanations JG53Frankyboy, Warhound and Blackdog_kt, that was a comprehensive solution to my problem! :)

PS. I did fly the JU88 yesterday, worked nicely, managed to sink two tankers skip-bombing so it was a good night's work... ;)

Blackdog_kt
06-27-2011, 05:15 PM
Actually i can't see these controls even with 6-DoF or by using the mouse. I just roughly know where to click and rely on the tooltips, since i only need them at the start and end of each mission :-P

I wish the gyrocompass on the 88 is fixed on the next patch. I really want to fly it but without a functioning gyrocompass the autopilot doesn't work correctly and without the autopilot we can't level bomb accurately, so the 88 is only useful if two people fly it at the same time (pilot and bombardier) or as a dive-bomber/low-level attacker.

What i would then probably do is set up with dive bomb fuses on the bombs and try to bomb normally (level bombing from high up, around 5-6km or so) but if i was attacked by fighters i'd pop the brakes open, push the nose down and dive-bomb instead. It would be a very flexible style, especially online :grin:

Gerfaut
06-30-2011, 07:36 PM
I had once found a good resource about how it all really worked but i can't remember where i put it on my hard drive :-P

Yup. Maybe you thought about this one ?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VJEUCZ1-xng&feature=related

335th_GRAthos
06-30-2011, 07:57 PM
Excellent, Jibob did a great job releasing these videos!

Thanks for the link! :)

Blackdog_kt
07-01-2011, 04:52 AM
Yup. Maybe you thought about this one ?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VJEUCZ1-xng&feature=related

No, not this one, it's still useful though ;)

Also, i think he only partially opens the fuel cocks in the video. They have the following positions for each engine: off, left tank, right tank, both tanks.

So, you can have the left engine running from the right feeder tank and pumping everything into that if your left feeder tank is leaking, or any other combination to save fuel after getting damaged.

The resource i was looking for was actually a website or document hosted in that website, one that was explaining how the fuel system worked in the 88.