PDA

View Full Version : Who says AIs are stupid?

335th_GRAthos
06-26-2011, 10:30 AM
I had one of the best dogfights ever in my life and, it was against an AI !
Rarely did I have such a good dogfight one vs one during the past six years. And I was shocked when I saw at the end that it was against an AI !!!!

Since there is lot of complaints about AIs and some came from me, I will post it.

Let me explain:
I was at the usual REPKA server(islands) flying my Spit rather high when a lonely Bf109 came towards me at high alt and some 500m above me.
The guy passed over me, turned upside down and dived to B&Z me.
Waited long enough for him to get enough dive speed to stiffen his controls and started a right turn, tighened it at the end to make him miss his straffing run.
The Bf109 seeing he could not turn with me continued straight and gained altitude.
We spend the next three minutes with him trying to B&Z me, me turning right, he avoiding to turn more than 40° and climbing high instead.
I kept loosing altitude trying to recover my speed after the high turns so the fight was slowly comming to lower alt. I was impressed by the patience of this guy and felt this is going to be no joy ride. Since he knows what he is doing, he is probably not alone and his mate will soon turn up (many bf109 fly teams in the server).
Then I saw another Bf109 coming from low alt and got concerned, 2vs1 with one such good opponent on the vertical is a bad omen.
Since the second Bf109 was not coming straight at me I thought he was trying to get on my six from a long distance hoping that I am too busy with my vertical fight.
I made a left turn (always bad), dived slightly and made a 200m 60° deflection shot at the second Bf109 hoping I would be lucky to make enough damage to convince him to stay away and then turned to look at my primary opponent.
It seems I did, although I did not see any radiator smoke, but the second Bf109 continued its straight flight towards the Red territory between the mountains... Stupid AI I thought, it is my lucky day, one vs one it still is...
Continuing the one vs one, still the Bf109 trying to B&Z, me trying to gain speed in order to raise my nose after his pass trying to get a shot at him, everytime I could not lift my nose high enough for a deflection shot, tried everything, went vertical, got some hits, stalled, restarted the engine on the way downwards, got some hits in return, we ended up dogfighting at 200m above ground and my speed was bleeding.
On the last run, we came for a near head-on pass, I side slipped, turned rudder and managed to score some hits on him. Still no obvious damage (smoke) visible and by now I though he was going get me because I had spent most of my energy and I was too low to dive and regain my speed so he had the energy advantage and would soon out-turn me.
To my tremendous surprise, he climbed and bailed out! So probably I had injured the pilot on my last pass (since there was no smoke).
These were the best five mins of my dogfighting career, as long as I can remember.

While waiting for my blood pressure to come down and to see the name of the pilot in the chat window in order to congratulate him and admit my good fortune of finishing just in time, my surprise was undescribeable when I read that I had been fighting against an AI!

Looking at the difference in fighting style bewteen Bf109#1 and Bf109#2 I am impressed.
So I will never again complain about "stupid AI" after this experience...

@Ataros:
The good AI is the one which flies high straight from the german base, over the sea and continues over the red based on the mountain.
The stupid AI is the one which comes low straight from the german base, over the sea and continues between the mountains over the red territory.

~S~

SG1_Lud
06-26-2011, 12:10 PM
Nice story, enjoyed reading it :)

GRAthos, sometimes, when one bails out, the aircraft continues flying as AI. Could it be that the case, that you saw the final message of an AI crashing, because of that?

335th_GRAthos
06-26-2011, 01:05 PM
Could not be the case because the plane stalled and crashed very quickly, besides I was waiting for a bailout message in chat which did not come and instead I got a clean kill on the AI.

VO101_Tom
06-26-2011, 02:41 PM
Could not be the case because the plane stalled and crashed very quickly, besides I was waiting for a bailout message in chat which did not come and instead I got a clean kill on the AI.

You can create new plane anytime, no need bail out. And its very fast: esc, click AFB, click create. Max 1-2 sec. The AI takes the control, and you never find who you overcame. I see that somebody would bail out very rarely. This is pathetic. :rolleyes:

Almost 2 months ago, Reflected started a topic because of similar reasons:
Finish landed only - option (http://forum.1cpublishing.eu/showthread.php?t=22730)
... there were many people against it, though this current solution worse, when it was necessary to face the consequences for your acts (KIA, MIA, Bail Out). At least, if one plane going down, should write all of the earlier pilots of the aircraft (likewise, the share victories).

335th_GRAthos
06-26-2011, 07:39 PM
Hmmm, you are about to ruin my high opinion on the AI :D

But had this been the case, would I have not seen a message saying "PilotX hit the silk" ?

Blackdog_kt
06-27-2011, 07:38 AM
But had this been the case, would I have not seen a message saying "PilotX hit the silk" ?

I think so.

ZaltysZ
06-27-2011, 08:03 AM
If it was Repka #3 server (islands), then there shouldn't be any AI, unless something changed or was bugged.

70% of my human kills end up as AI kills. Sadly, if player isn't in plane when it crashes or is destroyed (explodes), kill is counted as AI kill. There is no memory effect.

335th_GRAthos
06-27-2011, 08:09 AM
If it was Repka #3 server (islands), then there shouldn't be any AI, unless something changed or was bugged.

Thanks Zaltys,

This explains some things, there were many times I wrote S! in chat after shooting a worthy opponent and I was surprised to see that I was flying against an AI, I could have sworn it felt like human. Now I understand :)

What a pity :-( you destroyed my high hopes for the AIs, I was about to switch to flying off-line ;)

Then I am lucky as hell to have shot that second Bf109 well enough to discourage him from engaging me :)

Damn, it would have been great to have AIs like that...

~S~

Attila
06-27-2011, 08:36 AM
I had one of the best dogfights ever in my life and, it was against an AI !
Rarely did I have such a good dogfight one vs one during the past six years. And I was shocked when I saw at the end that it was against an AI !!!!

Since there is lot of complaints about AIs and some came from me, I will post it.

Let me explain:
I was at the usual REPKA server(islands) flying my Spit rather high when a lonely Bf109 came towards me at high alt and some 500m above me.
The guy passed over me, turned upside down and dived to B&Z me.
Waited long enough for him to get enough dive speed to stiffen his controls and started a right turn, tighened it at the end to make him miss his straffing run.
The Bf109 seeing he could not turn with me continued straight and gained altitude.
We spend the next three minutes with him trying to B&Z me, me turning right, he avoiding to turn more than 40° and climbing high instead.
I kept loosing altitude trying to recover my speed after the high turns so the fight was slowly comming to lower alt. I was impressed by the patience of this guy and felt this is going to be no joy ride. Since he knows what he is doing, he is probably not alone and his mate will soon turn up (many bf109 fly teams in the server).
Then I saw another Bf109 coming from low alt and got concerned, 2vs1 with one such good opponent on the vertical is a bad omen.
Since the second Bf109 was not coming straight at me I thought he was trying to get on my six from a long distance hoping that I am too busy with my vertical fight.
I made a left turn (always bad), dived slightly and made a 200m 60° deflection shot at the second Bf109 hoping I would be lucky to make enough damage to convince him to stay away and then turned to look at my primary opponent.
It seems I did, although I did not see any radiator smoke, but the second Bf109 continued its straight flight towards the Red territory between the mountains... Stupid AI I thought, it is my lucky day, one vs one it still is...
Continuing the one vs one, still the Bf109 trying to B&Z, me trying to gain speed in order to raise my nose after his pass trying to get a shot at him, everytime I could not lift my nose high enough for a deflection shot, tried everything, went vertical, got some hits, stalled, restarted the engine on the way downwards, got some hits in return, we ended up dogfighting at 200m above ground and my speed was bleeding.
On the last run, we came for a near head-on pass, I side slipped, turned rudder and managed to score some hits on him. Still no obvious damage (smoke) visible and by now I though he was going get me because I had spent most of my energy and I was too low to dive and regain my speed so he had the energy advantage and would soon out-turn me.
To my tremendous surprise, he climbed and bailed out! So probably I had injured the pilot on my last pass (since there was no smoke).
These were the best five mins of my dogfighting career, as long as I can remember.

While waiting for my blood pressure to come down and to see the name of the pilot in the chat window in order to congratulate him and admit my good fortune of finishing just in time, my surprise was undescribeable when I read that I had been fighting against an AI!

Looking at the difference in fighting style bewteen Bf109#1 and Bf109#2 I am impressed.
So I will never again complain about "stupid AI" after this experience...

@Ataros:
The good AI is the one which flies high straight from the german base, over the sea and continues over the red based on the mountain.
The stupid AI is the one which comes low straight from the german base, over the sea and continues between the mountains over the red territory.

~S~

I know what you mean! Last week i did the same expierience against a Spit! I was battling against this AI for almost 10 min. At the end i killed him and then i was really surprised when i´ve read : " Attila killed AI in Spit blabla!":o

VO101_Tom
06-27-2011, 12:17 PM
Hmmm, you are about to ruin my high opinion on the AI :D

Sorry, but the AI is duuummmb. Good for hint practice. Thats all :grin:
IF the human, or the AI bail out, you see the message. But no need any message, if the human just create new plane, and the AI died in old plane. You get the AI kill confirm message, and case closed.

Ze-Jamz
06-27-2011, 12:22 PM
You can create new plane anytime, no need bail out. And its very fast: esc, click AFB, click create. Max 1-2 sec. The AI takes the control, and you never find who you overcame. I see that somebody would bail out very rarely. This is pathetic. :rolleyes:

Almost 2 months ago, Reflected started a topic because of similar reasons:
Finish landed only - option (http://forum.1cpublishing.eu/showthread.php?t=22730)
... there were many people against it, though this current solution worse, when it was necessary to face the consequences for your acts (KIA, MIA, Bail Out). At least, if one plane going down, should write all of the earlier pilots of the aircraft (likewise, the share victories).

Agreed...

Yes you should be able to bailout if youve been hit but you should know who youve overcome and they should have a Death against them..after all its the AC that you killed thats gets you the score (kill)..

gets a bit boring when every aircraft you shoot down just happens to be an AI :rolleyes:

Its not massively important i know but its these lil things we all have a moan about and im sure we all like to know who weve just shot down :evil::-)

VO101_Tom
06-27-2011, 12:47 PM
Agreed...

Yes you should be able to bailout if youve been hit but you should know who youve overcome and they should have a Death against them..after all its the AC that you killed thats gets you the score (kill)..

gets a bit boring when every aircraft you shoot down just happens to be an AI :rolleyes:

Its not massively important i know but its these lil things we all have a moan about and im sure we all like to know who weve just shot down :evil::-)

Yes yes :grin: But not only the points, or informations. This "features" causes, the behaviour changes very much. He may do an any kind of meaningless, stupid, suicide action to gain another one victory. And without negative consequences (ok. accidentally get PK. but nothing else).

Tree_UK
07-23-2011, 12:45 PM
Sorry, but the AI is duuummmb. Good for hint practice. Thats all :grin:
IF the human, or the AI bail out, you see the message. But no need any message, if the human just create new plane, and the AI died in old plane. You get the AI kill confirm message, and case closed.

Anyone who switches his plane in mid battle should be banned for life, what a absoloutley pathetic option to put in multi player.

planespotter
07-29-2011, 09:12 PM
What a laugh, this is very funny, you think it is ai, but it is human who turns to ai! i love it. Cheers.