PDA

View Full Version : Multiplayer PING and Playability.

Skoshi Tiger
06-25-2011, 01:49 AM
Hi,

Unfortunately I live half a world away from most of the populated servers listed when I go into multiplayer, so if I try to get into well populated server such as Repka my ping rates are consistently over 500ms.

Unlike '46 where a ping rate like this would cause major warping and suttering and would eventually lead to being ejected from the server CoD seams happy to let me play along, but my control inputs seem sluggish compared when I can find a local server with a ping of 100ms or so.

What have other users experienced in game play on different ping rates? How does it effect other peoples game play when someone joins a server with a very high ping?

One thing I have noticed is that heavy flack in multiplayer doesn't cause the stutters that it wopuld have in '46, Which is a good thing!

What are your thoughts people?

Cheers!

Thee_oddball
06-25-2011, 03:40 AM
sorry m8..the rest of us live in the civilized world! were not in the middle of the out back chugging fosters eating Vegemite sandwiches quoting crocodile dundee and remembering the glory days of riding with the toecutter,knightrider and bubbznetti:razz:;)
i have a few squad m8's from the land down under and there pings are around 250-300 when they join a server in the states...im not sure why yours would be so high unless you really are remote.

have you done all the ping tests starting with the closest to the farthest?
I ask because i have seen a cat45 cable go bad and cause alot of signal attenuation.

S!

Skoshi Tiger
06-25-2011, 08:21 AM
LoL,

When I was playing IL2 '46 on the SOV server I was normally getting about a 300ms ping. When a server is available on the East Coast of Australia I normally get about 100ms, As most of broad band communications go through Sydney (about 3500KM west of me) I guess I'm just that much behind.

One of the things I'm worried about is if by connencting to a server at 500ms am I pulling down the performance for all of the people on the server?

Sad really that the most consistently populated server is in Russia! Hopefully that will change when the multiplayer bug is sorted and the game is released enmass in the US!

Hey I've played a few games today since the new patch and didn't get the multiplayer sound dropout!

Cool!

PS the local beer where I am is Emu Export! Generally drunken it at the lowest possible temperature and as fast as possible to minimise chance of it simulating the taste buds! Still tastes better than Fosters! ;)

Ataros
06-25-2011, 02:43 PM
The best solution is to create your own server and make it the most popular in your part of the world. Then you have the lowest ping compared to other players :grin:

GL!

PS. And yes when you have 500 ping to Repka it degrades performance for other players. There are no known tools to limit allowed ping unfortunately yet but when they are available we would limit ping by 350 or 400 max I guess to provide a more stable gameplay for other players.

I think I have seen a well-populated Australian server some weeks ago btw.

Blakduk
06-25-2011, 10:42 PM
Skoshi- my ping seems to vary quite a lot on the Repka server. Early yesterday i joined the Channel Map and the result was awful- ping bouncing really high, warping, freezing. After ten minutes i had to abandon it. (I'm not sure if all the extra ground based activity was upsetting my link as well).
Soon after i joined the Repka dogfight server and had a blast- ping stayed around 300. I was on it for about 1.5hrs. I tried to rejoin last night- ping bounced around 450-500 so i didnt bother.
I'm waiting for the Septics to get on board and setup servers in their continent. That should make the situation a bit more acceptable.

Thee_oddball
06-25-2011, 11:08 PM
what you guys can do is get the server IP and do a simple ping test and compare it to the ping you get in game, that should let you know if it is infact the game that is causing it.

S!

Tiger27
06-27-2011, 06:22 AM
Im in Perth Skoshi, my pings are out at about 500, but game seems ok, Syndicate I get 250 - 350 which is fine.