PDA

View Full Version : How about an option turning all buildings off, Pop-up is awful,need a way to stop it

Mysticpuma
06-24-2011, 10:56 AM
Looking in the options there is an opportunity to turn down the detail but I just hate....hang on....HATE:evil: the buildings popping up and being drawn in as you approach.

To see the side of a building being flat and then suddenly filling with detail is really distracting and I was thinking of a way to just switch all objects off.

This would leave landscapes, trees and vehicles but delete all buildings. I know London is a wonderful venue as are others, but for me the flying experience is more important which is why the sea is a very popular place for combat at the moment as it's aircraft and combat...nothing else.

Currently flying over the land my eye is always drawn away from the contact as I see chunks of architecture pop up in the (not too far away) distance and I also think this is causing my system to stutter.

I appreciate airbases need to stay, but buildings and anything loaded in blocks could really do with being removed?

I have this system:

i7 950 @ 3.05Ghz
Asus P6X58D-E Mobo
6Gb Matched Memory Corsair Dominator
Nvidia 1Gb 560GTX Twin Frozr
Realtek Onboard Sound

Currently running the game 1920x1200 with object detail Low, Forest Low + other reduced settings it still chugs along over the ground and the pop-up is hugely disappointing

335th_GRAthos
06-24-2011, 11:15 AM
Well, I fly a bit higher resolution but where I have my eyes locked is on the side panel showing the VRAM usage of my GPU (max 1,3Gb)

It is always very close to max: islands map 980Mb, channel map 110Mb.
And in channel map with a lot of objects >1,3Gb and this halves the fps.

I can not say I like the way the buildings are being drawn in such short distance but I think I must acknowledge that this is the best compromise in order to avoid major stuttering.

And since I am more interested in the dogfight than eye candy, hardly notice the buildings anyway...

I am prepared to any compromise if it leads to smoother flying and dogfighting.

What concerns me though is the lack (or maybe they have not told us (yet) how to influence that directly in the conf.ini) of settings to decide the radius around you that is been dwnloaded in the background....
You probably rememeber the old IL2 1946, after a DLL had a drawing distance of 72Km (before it was only 34km) set up in the conf.ini

~S~

Qpassa
06-24-2011, 11:25 AM
I think is a bad idea, if you play a mission which you have to attack it, you'll see the ground enemies easier than b4

Orpheus
06-24-2011, 11:27 AM
I agree that the pop-in on buildings (and terrain too, seems to pop-in below quite frequently, while all distant terrain stays horribly low res) is pretty awful.

Control over the view distance would be a good thing; I can't help but feel that a longer draw distance (and hence earlier loading) might not be a bad thing on some systems.

Davy TASB
06-24-2011, 11:51 AM
This issue would probably be one of the biggest "turn offs" for any potential new buyers of Cliffs Of Dover.
I have shown CoD to a mate, who was blown away with the cockpits, shadows and sea effects but laughed at the grey brown creeping sludge like graphics over London and some of the pop up buildings and texturing that occur.

Hope 1C improve this as time goes by.

Ze-Jamz
06-24-2011, 11:56 AM
This issue would probably be one of the biggest "turn offs" for any potential new buyers of Cliffs Of Dover.
I have shown CoD to a mate, who was blown away with the cockpits, shadows and sea effects but laughed at the grey brown creeping sludge like graphics over London and some of the pop up buildings and texturing that occur.

Hope 1C improve this as time goes by.

Depends on your settings mate, turn building detail to high nut building amount to Low and it will give you alot more detail at distance

Mysticpuma
06-24-2011, 12:58 PM
Thing is that currently no-matter what you do there is the horrible pop-up no-matter what the detail setting you have. All I see is Popcorn buildings bursting out of the ground, all appearing in an invisible bubble around the plane which means that once that bubble goes over the land anything inside is drawn (pop up), anything outside is an obscure block lacking detail or not even visible, until it suddenly appears.

For online play I can understand that having objects set on would be a fair choice (or everything off) but for a solo-player (offline) I want to concentrate on my combat rather than choose a sight-seeing flight, which isn't very satisfying when the landscape detail (objects) don't appear authentic.

It is obviously a fine balance, but seriously the pop-up is exactly the same as the old IL2 and is an embarrassment when you consider the detail that can be rendered in games since (RoF does a great job as does Wings of Prey).

I understand that Clod uses a completely different system and comparison with RoF and WoP isn't fair due to the map size being smaller, but there has to be a more efficient way to blend the drawing of objects into the scene rather than the very amateur appearing block drawing technique.

Why can't an anisotropic filtering technique be used to just blur detail after a certain distance which then steadily bleeds in to sharpness? I am not a programmer just a virtual pilot who hopes for a step forward from the original IL2 in draw distance.

Cheers, MP

pupo162
06-24-2011, 01:16 PM
+1 for OP

fixing building pop up would be better tough....

BigPickle
06-24-2011, 01:31 PM
+1 as well on the dynamic blur instead of pop up

Doc_uk
06-24-2011, 04:06 PM
+1
And while were at it, how about an option to turn off, all that is wrong with this game:rolleyes:

Blackdog_kt
06-24-2011, 04:58 PM
I think the buildings amount setting partially controls their draw distance.

I run the sim on a two year old PC (i7 920 @ 2.7Ghz, Ati 4890 1Gb and just 3Gb of RAM) so there has to be a compromise.

What i did was set buildings amount to high/unlimited so they draw further away from me, but i set their detail to low/lowest so that they don't take up a lot of FPS. This way i get good enough results because they don't pop up as much and since they are set to low detail they don't noticeably re-texture as i get closer to them, unless i'm landed and taxing towards one.

Orpheus
06-24-2011, 05:04 PM
I think the buildings amount setting partially controls their draw distance.

I run the sim on a two year old PC (i7 920 @ 2.7Ghz, Ati 4890 1Gb and just 3Gb of RAM) so there has to be a compromise.

What i did was set buildings amount to high/unlimited so they draw further away from me, but i set their detail to low/lowest so that they don't take up a lot of FPS. This way i get good enough results because they don't pop up as much and since they are set to low detail they don't noticeably re-texture as i get closer to them, unless i'm landed and taxing towards one.

It definitely helps, but at anything over 1000 feet or so the 'bubble' of draw distance is incredibly visible. I play with buildings unlimited as well, but I still get a little disappointed seeing the draw distance.

Like I said earlier, I believe that the first patch reduced the draw distance significantly as part of the performance improvements. Might this actually have resulted (for some, not all) in more frequent loading throughout flight over land - a possible cause of stutter? I'd expect more powerful systems to render further to reduce load-frequency, obviously less powerful systems would struggle.

Really it should be selectable, a la Arma2 etc - that way we could tweak settings to suit our preference.