PDA

View Full Version : One of the nice things about hyperlobby was...

CaptainDoggles
06-22-2011, 11:14 PM
The global chat feature.

Steam has a similar feature that I suggest we start using. There is a feature called Steam Groups where users can create, you guessed it, groups relating to the games they play.

The largest group right now appears to be this one: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/IL2COD

Steam Groups have their own chat rooms too, and the nice thing about the chat rooms is that you can simply put a link into the chat like this: steam://connect/1.1.1.1:27015

With your server's IP and anyone clicking the link will have their game start automatically which IMHO would be excellent for starting coops, etc.

Hope this helps someone

Ze-Jamz
06-23-2011, 12:16 AM
Agreed, such a shame that alot of people won't use Steam in that way...

Il take a look though, kind of miss that feature as I'm not using HL much anymore

CaptainDoggles
06-23-2011, 12:24 AM
That's literally the only thing I miss about HL. It was flawed on a fundamental level.

Orpheus
06-23-2011, 12:40 AM
Joined up, not doing any MP yet but when I do I'll try the group chat thing. :)

Warhound
06-23-2011, 12:54 AM
One of the nice things about hyperlobby was...saying goodbye to it.
No more inane "converstations" to read and no more having to launch an extra program to get online.

Thee_oddball
06-23-2011, 12:56 AM
That's literally the only thing I miss about HL. It was flawed on a fundamental level.

Flawed? i thought it kept the MP community alive for years...perhaps were using 2 different versions...ill get my magnifyne glass out and have a look..although i do seem to remember have no problems for the past few years...but i could have missed something....back in a minute :rolleyes:

Thee_oddball
06-23-2011, 12:58 AM
No more inane "converstations" to read and no more having to launch an extra program to get online.

im going to give you a chance to think that through...

CaptainDoggles
06-23-2011, 01:11 AM
Flawed? i thought it kept the MP community alive for years...perhaps were using 2 different versions...ill get my magnifyne glass out and have a look..although i do seem to remember have no problems for the past few years...but i could have missed something....back in a minute :rolleyes:

Well for starters how about the fact that it can't count players who are ingame if they join via direct connect? I'd call that an underlying flaw in the design of the program.

I understand the rose-coloured glasses, and yes it was a great tool for the community when you consider the alternative was the ubi.com lobby (ugh).

You can keep rolling those eyes though, you're only fooling yourself.

ElAurens
06-23-2011, 01:27 AM
Here we go again.

:rolleyes:

Warhound
06-23-2011, 01:47 AM
im going to give you a chance to think that through...

Well for me it's correct..Steam always loads as my PC boost and has done so for many many years(takes up a massive 9mb). So I can just click on CLOD and play without launching HL, waiting for it to display the servers, clicking the server I want to finally be able to launch the game.

CaptainDoggles
06-23-2011, 01:48 AM
Hey I'm just trying to buoy peoples' spirits, as there seems to be a lot of undue grumbling about steam.

It's not great, but it's what we've got and quite frankly no matter how much people like Oddball whine about it I don't see the developers going back to that sort of model.

Thee_oddball
06-23-2011, 03:07 AM
Hey I'm just trying to buoy peoples' spirits, as there seems to be a lot of undue grumbling about steam.

It's not great, but it's what we've got and quite frankly no matter how much people like Oddball whine about it I don't see the developers going back to that sort of model.

UNDUE!! your a moron...either that or you just don't read the posts...your beloved steam is NUKING the MP servers on a daily basis!...there are 5 servers in CLOD right now and over 30 on HL! there would be more in CLOD but i know a few got tired of babysitting there server because of Steams daily purges...even as screwed as this game is right now there would be ALOT more private and public servers up if we could use HL .

Whine? really..im not the naive fanboi who started the post extolling the benefits of steam WITH OUT HAVING A CLUE as to what steam was doing!

S! have a nice day

CaptainDoggles
06-23-2011, 03:38 AM
Well this got ugly quick.

UNDUE!! your a moronLearn to spell before you call someone else a moron, little boy. You+are = you're, as in "You're in need of an attitude adjustment."

The word "your" indicates a possessive case, as in "Your attitude is piss-poor."

your beloved steam is NUKING the MP servers on a daily basis!Firstly it's not my "beloved" steam, let me quote one of my previous posts to you:

It's not great, but it's what we've got.

There are how many games on steam right now? How many tens of thousands of counterstrike servers alone? Probably another twenty thousand team fortress 2 servers on top of that and all of them running fine.

Do you think that it's a problem with steam that somehow manifests itself for our game and our game only?

Or maybe if you used a little bit of logic do you think that maybe it's a bug in CLOD's dedicated server code? Hmmmmmmm let's meditate on this for a second and really mull it over. I could rattle off a list of 30 games and I bet if I went and checked, they all would have functioning dedicated servers.

You and your attitude are counterproductive. Bitching and moaning about the sorry state of multiplayer is what's killing multiplayer.

It's a bug, they happen, and it'll get fixed in due time. I suspect the developers have a lot on their plate at the moment. In the meantime, I was playing this afternoon in a server with 40+ people and it was super fun!

im not the naive fanboi who started the post extolling the benefits of steam WITH OUT HAVING A CLUE as to what steam was doing!If you maybe go back and learn to read, you'll see I was trying to highlight a feature of steam that a) many are unaware of and b) some might find useful, like they did in hyperlobby.

You can call that fanboyism if you want. I'll call it being positive. Hyperlobby isn't coming back. Jiri isn't reliable and the game doesn't work the same way as il2fb does, so hyperlobby isn't compatible. Do you think stomping your feet is going to magically make things better? Go ahead and try but in the meantime I'm going to continue to make the best of a less than ideal situation.

And again, it's not steam that's some how out to get us, it's a bug in the dedicated server code.

You should take the time to educate yourself on the issues before you have a nutty on the forums; it just makes you look silly.

Thee_oddball
06-23-2011, 04:36 AM
Well this got ugly quick.

Learn to spell before you call someone else a moron, little boy. You+are = you're, as in "You're in need of an attitude adjustment."

The word "your" indicates a possessive case, as in "Your attitude is piss-poor."

thnx webster...you get called on your BS and this is your response...

Firstly it's not my "beloved" steam, let me quote one of my previous posts to you:
There are how many games on steam right now? How many tens of thousands of counterstrike servers alone? Probably another twenty thousand team fortress 2 servers on top of that and all of them running fine.

and the whole CLOD community feels warm and fuzzy now knowing that counter stroke and team dateless 2 are running without problems...because that is why we bought CLOD....

Do you think that it's a problem with steam that somehow manifests itself for our game and our game only?
Or maybe if you used a little bit of logic do you think that maybe it's a bug in CLOD's dedicated server code? Hmmmmmmm let's meditate on this for a second and really mull it over. I could rattle of a list of 30 games and I bet if I went and checked, they all would have functioning dedicated servers.

hmmmmm are the CLOD servers logging themselves off? trying using LOGIC before you start preaching.... if someone's server on HL has a bug IT DOES NUKE ALL THE OTHER ONES! and as for you list of 30...who cares! we are talking about CLOD....

You and your attitude are counterproductive. Bitching and moaning about the sorry state of multiplayer is what's killing multiplayer.

It's a bug, they happen, and it'll get fixed in due time. I suspect the developers have a lot on their plate at the moment. In the meantime, I was playing this afternoon in a server with 40+ people and it was super fun!

40..oh my..for a game that can support 128 that really is impressive...OH WAIT. ..A P2P disconnect happens when you get close to 60 :( that disconnect happens with steam...BUT im sure thats a bug that will get fixed in time..as long as my bitching moaning and attitude don't get in the way...

If you maybe go back and learn to read, you'll see I was trying to highlight a feature of steam that a) many are unaware of and b) some might find useful, like they did in hyperlobby.

teach me to read little boy...your pointing out crap without the facts...who cares about chat when the servers cannot stay running...what are they going to talk about?...make bets on how long a server will be up?!?!?

You can call that fanboyism if you want. I'll call it being positive. Hyperlobby isn't coming back. Jiri isn't reliable and the game doesn't work the same way as il2fb does, so hyperlobby isn't compatible. Do you think stomping your feet is going to magically make things better? Go ahead and try but in the meantime I'm going to continue to make the best of a less than ideal situation.

And again, it's not steam that's some how out to get us, it's a bug in the dedicated server code.

You should take the time to educate yourself on the issues before you have a nutty on the forums; it just makes you look silly.
positive? you are anything but...all you doing is acting like you have something to contribute but you DON'T. pointing out some useless feature of steam does nothing to fix the
'bug in the dedicated server" as you called it...speaking of education...did you wright the HOW TO on setting up a dedicated server?...nope my bad you figured out why the ATI cards were under clocking....
while were on the subject what do you recommend for writing a GUI for the C# scripting language ? MONO?...

S!

CaptainDoggles
06-23-2011, 05:00 AM
I don't understand why you're getting so upset about this.

You came into this thread with a major chip on your shoulder, all sarcastic and unhelpful. You get called out on it and now you're throwing a temper tantrum.

That's not how we play bridge, son.

I started this thread to help people out, maybe try to foster some community growth. Not sure why you've got a problem with that you worthless piece of trash.

Go troll somebody else's thread. I've reported you to the moderators.

And for the record I use Visual Studio when I write my C# code. I like the intellisense better than mono's version of it.

JG52Uther
06-23-2011, 06:11 AM
One of the nice things about hyperlobby was...

It worked.

hiro
06-23-2011, 06:27 AM
One of the nice things about hyperlobby was...

It worked.

True. It's the standard of 1946. And a good one. I kind of liken it to the SBD Dauntless, it was old, showing its age, but still kick arse. After all in the hands of the right pilot it could hold its own against zeros and take down the finest ships ever to set sail.

IMO, I think once this game takes off, either the devs will code a hosting feature that comes with the game where someone can set up a host or have a server that allows links to others, so everyone can get together and join games

or a 3rd party / fan will make it. They can get the best of what HL had, throw in some improvements, take some cool ideas from other lobby type programs like Xbox Live.

Orpheus
06-23-2011, 08:48 AM

You came into this thread with a major chip on your shoulder, all sarcastic and unhelpful. You get called out on it and now you're throwing a temper tantrum.

I started this thread to help people out, maybe try to foster some community growth. Not sure why you've got a problem with that you worthless piece of trash.

Can't help but agree with this. I've played all manner of MP games via Steam servers and never had an issue, though I admit I've not taken CloD online yet. I don't get the hatred for it, I really don't. Any issue is far more likely to lie within the netcode for CloD itself, rather than with Steam.

OP's idea was a good one. Let's make use of what we have. :)

Blackdog_kt
06-23-2011, 09:48 AM
Wow, this is getting out of hand pretty fast.

All due respect oddball, but you just came in blasting the guy. I'm no fan of Steam myself (i would have no issue if it wouldn't require me to run it every time and worked just as a distribution platform, but it doesn't work like this unfortunately) but that's not how i would argue the case.

Also, being no fan of steam doesn't mean i won't recognize and admit what works about it and what doesn't.

I think the main reason they went with Steam is how it handles mods and makes it easy to have servers running different legitimate mods while providing some sort of anti-cheat protection too.

The reason we get servers shutting down is surely steam related, but since it's only CoD that does this it must also be CoD related too. Someone mentioned to me a few days ago that quite possibly the steam network queries the servers at certain intervals in order to have a tally of which ones are active and maintain its bandwidth use. If the server doesn't respond then it gets booted because steam thinks it has crashed. So in all probability, the dedicated server code is missing a function that would reply to this call.

On a non-personal note now...

Let's all drop our agendas and make usability our one and only agenda, then maybe we'll be able to get a clear evaluation of things.

Also, read the manual, it's in your installation folder. It clearly states it's possible to use 3rd party server browsers if you want to. The fact that CoD is not on Hyperlobby is not 1c's fault, it's just that the HL developer didn't do it yet for his own reasons.

If people want HL support they will probably get better results by donating a few bucks to Jiri and asking him to add CoD to HL, rather than barking up 1c's tree who, guess what, have nothing to do with HL whatsoever. It's not their project, they are not responsible for it, all they can do is leave a door open so that CoD can be compatible with 3rd party multiplayer tools which they have already done and that's all there is to it.

There's too many people getting confused, being ill-informed and failing to make a distinction on why certain things don't work or work in a different manner, that pretty often it all ends in a counter-productive "it's all Luthier's fault" in a single-digit amount of posts.

Everyone has the right to complain and express opinions. However, if you want people to take you seriously exercise some common courtesy and do your homework first before running your mouth and that goes for everyone, myself included.

Go to steam\steamapps\common\IL-2 sturmovik cliffs of dover\manual and click on the PDF file.
For the love of god, read it people.

banned
06-23-2011, 09:59 AM
Bravo Blackdog, Bravo

Thee_oddball
06-23-2011, 12:50 PM
Wow, this is getting out of hand pretty fast.

All due respect oddball, but you just came in blasting the guy. I'm no fan of Steam myself (i would have no issue if it wouldn't require me to run it every time and worked just as a distribution platform, but it doesn't work like this unfortunately) but that's not how i would argue the case.

Also, being no fan of steam doesn't mean i won't recognize and admit what works about it and what doesn't.

I think the main reason they went with Steam is how it handles mods and makes it easy to have servers running different legitimate mods while providing some sort of anti-cheat protection too.

The reason we get servers shutting down is surely steam related, but since it's only CoD that does this it must also be CoD related too. Someone mentioned to me a few days ago that quite possibly the steam network queries the servers at certain intervals in order to have a tally of which ones are active and maintain its bandwidth use. If the server doesn't respond then it gets booted because steam thinks it has crashed. So in all probability, the dedicated server code is missing a function that would reply to this call.

BD he did not get "blasted" in the beginning he got a sarcastic response to naive/ignorant statement about HL and he chose to escalate it without having all the facts...he is pointing what a wonderful feature steam has without realizing Steam is a problem right now....
Someone?...i have a ;)name

On a non-personal note now...

Let's all drop our agendas and make usability our one and only agenda, then maybe we'll be able to get a clear evaluation of things.

Also, read the manual, it's in your installation folder. It clearly states it's possible to use 3rd party server browsers if you want to. The fact that CoD is not on Hyperlobby is not 1c's fault, it's just that the HL developer didn't do it yet for his own reasons.

If people want HL support they will probably get better results by donating a few bucks to Jiri and asking him to add CoD to HL, rather than barking up 1c's tree who, guess what, have nothing to do with HL whatsoever. It's not their project, they are not responsible for it, all they can do is leave a door open so that CoD can be compatible with 3rd party multiplayer tools which they have already done and that's all there is to it.

There's too many people getting confused, being ill-informed and failing to make a distinction on why certain things don't work or work in a different manner, that pretty often it all ends in a counter-productive "it's all Luthier's fault" in a single-digit amount of posts.

Everyone has the right to complain and express opinions. However, if you want people to take you seriously exercise some common courtesy and do your homework first before running your mouth and that goes for everyone, myself included.

Go to steam\steamapps\common\IL-2 sturmovik cliffs of dover\manual and click on the PDF file.
For the love of god, read it people.

You know i have no agenda and BD i am not "misinformed" I know what was promised in terms of 3rd party (HL) and how the MODS will be handled and how VAC will work to maintain continuity and so on...
I have been here since day 1 doing my part so i don't someone like Doggles telling me "what is" without having the knowledge or exp with the client the server or the game in general.

S!

Ze-Jamz
06-23-2011, 12:56 PM

Insane conversations?

It was and still is a 'Community' and being able to chat when your not flying was great, i learnt loads from reading what others talked about back in the days..

makes me laugh, you come up with that view yet you visit these forums. :confused:

Launching another program?... Oh noes!

Thee_oddball
06-23-2011, 01:06 PM

And for the record I use Visual Studio when I write my C# code. I like the intellisense better than mono's version of it.
thats the problem..you DON'T understand...reported me to the moderators..oh dear I imagine you clutching your mommy's leg right now crying into her apron...

why dont you do us both a favor and admit you don't know as much as you think you do when it comes this game.
you made a post "trying" to be helpful without realizing exactly what a PITA steam is right now for the MP set and then you make a naive comment about HL....how did you that was going to end?

S!

p.s as a side note since you use VS and know C# have you thought about making a GUI for the scripting language?

CaptainDoggles
06-23-2011, 03:55 PM
IMO, I think once this game takes off, either the devs will code a hosting feature that comes with the game where someone can set up a host or have a server that allows links to others, so everyone can get together and join games

I suspect that that's pretty far away. The devs are going to have a lot on their plate for the foreseeable future.

But the part that has links to others, so everyone can get together and join games? That was what I was trying to show in my original post.

KG26_Alpha
06-23-2011, 08:31 PM

Hyperlobby is over 10 years old and has been generously given to its users for free (donations are always welcome) when there was no other stable/supported portal for pilots to meet and fly many different flight sims including CFS1. (urgh the Zone)......

http://hyperfighter.sk/modules.php?name=Donations

Well for starters how about the fact that it can't count players who are ingame if they join via direct connect? I'd call that an underlying flaw in the design of the program.

How can it be a flaw ?
Hyperlobby can only connect and monitor pilots that join via the Hyperlobby, when the mission starts (coop) or you join a DF server it then closes the Hyperlobby until you (the client) has disconnected from the server, where upon it restarts its self resulting in no resources being used whilst you are in game, it cannot intrude on the servers network traffic to monitor all clients in session that are outside of Hyperlobby's network interface control and user handling system.

If people want HL support they will probably get better results by donating a few bucks to Jiri and asking him to add CoD to HL, rather than barking up 1c's tree who, guess what, have nothing to do with HL whatsoever.

Not a good subject at the moment, I wont speak for Jiri but discussion was instigated (Luthier Oleg 1C team) and all I'll say is lets wait till things have become more stable and CoD is as click n fly friendly as IL2 1946 is before getting Hyperlobby set up :)

Although I personally think that if Hyperlobby was able to carry CoD into the community there would be faster tracks made to help debug and get things moving along quicker.

More direct help and support comes from Hyperlobby than any forum provides, there are many veteran users with a wealth of information and advice for new and old IL2 users
who might be having problems with the sim/game.
CoD would benefit from this user network across Hyperlobby, but we will have to see.

ElAurens
06-23-2011, 08:48 PM
I know plenty of folks that simply will not fly CloD until Hyperlobby support is available.

KG26_Alpha
06-23-2011, 08:54 PM
I know plenty of folks that simply will not fly CloD until Hyperlobby support is available.

They may never get to fly Cliffs of Dover then unfortunately.

ElAurens
06-23-2011, 09:02 PM
Well, most of them have given up on this sim already to be honest.

I don't agree with them, but there is no bringing them back to the fold.

Sad but true.

KG26_Alpha
06-23-2011, 09:18 PM
Well not to be blamed really.

I don't fly dogfights servers, not my cup of tea :)

I have built and hosted thousands of coops and hosted campaigns for 6-8 months online, it seems I have a long wait ahead as CoD simply isn't ready for anything other than a quick fly around in a dogfight server.

Don't forget the spirit of HL was to break away from "big brother" and fly independently.

SlipBall
06-23-2011, 09:30 PM
Until most potential sales are realized, I don't see Hyperlobby being added to the equation...maybe never, for game check integrity reasons:grin:

Thee_oddball
06-23-2011, 09:34 PM
Hyperlobby is over 10 years old and has been generously given to its users for free (donations are always welcome) when there was no other stable/supported portal for pilots to meet and fly many different flight sims including CFS1. (urgh the Zone)......

http://hyperfighter.sk/modules.php?name=Donations

How can it be a flaw ?
Hyperlobby can only connect and monitor pilots that join via the Hyperlobby, when the mission starts (coop) or you join a DF server it then closes the Hyperlobby until you (the client) has disconnected from the server, where upon it restarts its self resulting in no resources being used whilst you are in game, it cannot intrude on the servers network traffic to monitor all clients in session that are outside of Hyperlobby's network interface control and user handling system.

Not a good subject at the moment, I wont speak for Jiri but discussion was instigated (Luthier Oleg 1C team) and all I'll say is lets wait till things have become more stable and CoD is as click n fly friendly as IL2 1946 is before getting Hyperlobby set up :)

Although I personally think that if Hyperlobby was able to carry CoD into the community there would be faster tracks made to help debug and get things moving along quicker.

More direct help and support comes from Hyperlobby than any forum provides, there are many veteran users with a wealth of information and advice for new and old IL2 users
who might be having problems with the sim/game.
CoD would benefit from this user network across Hyperlobby, but we will have to see.

+1 very well said

Thee_oddball
06-23-2011, 09:37 PM
I suspect that that's pretty far away. The devs are going to have a lot on their plate for the foreseeable future.

But the part that has links to others, so everyone can get together and join games? That was what I was trying to show in my original post.

Dooggles i owe you an apology you were the wrong post at the wrong time...you bore the brunt of my frustration and anger about how things are being handled...i could have chose a more diplomatic approach.

S!

KG26_Alpha
06-23-2011, 09:53 PM
Until most potential sales are realized, I don't see Hyperlobby being added to the equation...maybe never, for game check integrity reasons:grin:

That's not a problem, the problem lies somewhere else, I'm not at liberty to discus this though as I am 3rd party to the conversation.

Thee_oddball
06-23-2011, 10:05 PM
That's not a problem, the problem lies somewhere else, I'm not at liberty to discus this though as I am 3rd party to the conversation.

hmm i like a mystery.. lets see there is 1C, UBI,MG,STEAM....
I dont think MG would care..they just want to sell the game.
why would UBI care ..they also want to sell the game...and they have no in game browser to compete with.
I don't see a reason 1C would care either as long as they get there cut.
who is left that might have a problem with a 3rd party game browser?...hmmm

S!

JG52Uther
06-23-2011, 10:08 PM
hmm i like a mystery.. lets see there is 1C, UBI,MG,STEAM....
I dont think MG would care..they just want to sell the game.
why would UBI care ..they also want to sell the game...and they have no in game browser to compete with.
I don't see a reason 1C would care either as long as they get there cut.
who is left that might have a problem with a 3rd party game browser?...hmmm

S!

Yep, we're screwed...
A lot of people said how great steam would be for CoD, most of them have gone very quiet now. Personally I think CoD online is dead in the water without HL.

seaeye
06-23-2011, 10:20 PM
Why is it every thread ends up with two people going at eachother with no respect for anyones opinion? Is that how you deal with disagreements in RL? Didn't think so, so quit doing it here.

I haven't played the game for a couple of weeks now, and I check in to see what's new and all I read is the same old nonsense. Get a grip, can't everyone just make the best of what we've got?

Ze-Jamz
06-23-2011, 10:26 PM
You know i think its good to have chat rooms as ive said before...

as already stated you get more info and help from a chat room than any forum, hyperlobby was great for that and considering how complex flight sims are something like Hyperlobby makes all the difference...

everything i learnt about flying came from Il2 and HL and to be honest it helps build a community..thing will get boring very quickly without something like HL where you can host games quickly, arrange matches, have modded rooms, and just generaly chat if your done with flying for the night..

I hope it gets implemented

CaptainDoggles
06-23-2011, 10:54 PM
How can it be a flaw ?
Hyperlobby can only connect and monitor pilots that join via the Hyperlobby, when the mission starts (coop) or you join a DF server it then closes the Hyperlobby until you (the client) has disconnected from the server, where upon it restarts its self resulting in no resources being used whilst you are in game, it cannot intrude on the servers network traffic to monitor all clients in session that are outside of Hyperlobby's network interface control and user handling system. Well that's just not true. Any application can connect to the il2fb dedicated server and ask the server directly how many clients it has. We know this is true because that's how the server controllers (fbd, etc) work.

Example: I want to start my dedicated server, so I launch it through HL and then HL begins polling the server for a user list, and displays that whenever a prospective pilot clicks the info screen on their HL client.

CaptainDoggles
06-23-2011, 10:56 PM
Don't forget the spirit of HL was to break away from "big brother" and fly independently.

I like that attitude, especially in light of how awful ubi's lobby application was. But the simple fact is we don't have HL here and likely won't for a long time.

KG26_Alpha
06-23-2011, 11:10 PM
Well that's just not true. Any application can connect to the il2fb dedicated server and ask the server directly how many clients it has. We know this is true because that's how the server controllers (fbd, etc) work.

Example: I want to start my dedicated server, so I launch it through HL and then HL begins polling the server for a user list, and displays that whenever a prospective pilot clicks the info screen on their HL client.

And the flaw is ?

CaptainDoggles
06-23-2011, 11:55 PM
And the flaw is ?

Ok I'll start over.

Currently Hyperlobby doesn't track people who join directly, only those who join through HL itself. This is a flaw, since it doesn't give accurate population numbers.

You said earlier that that is not a flaw. If you don't see it that way then we're going to have to agree to disagree. When I see it reporting inaccurate numbers I don't know what else to call it other than a flaw.

But it's possible to get accurate player counts, because the server controllers like FBDj do it.

So if Hyperlobby connected to the dedicated server the same way FBDj does, then it would have accurate player numbers.

Does that clear it up?

Warhound
06-24-2011, 12:16 AM
The flaw is here, "Hyperlobby can only connect and monitor pilots that join via the Hyperlobby".
All Seeing Eye (RIP) and Xfire have no problem showing every server and their connected # of clients, letting you connect to them irrespective if the server is hosted on HL, through them or in any other way.

On the CLOD subject..going by your words my guess is 1C softclub want money from hyperlobby as a 3rd party who makes profit (donations) from piggybacking on CLOD?
Sad evolution but it's all too common these days and in a way understandable even if I wish it wasn't so.
IF so (for all I know they just have to wait for the SDK or there's some other obstacle) and there are really alot of people who love HL and want it to support CLOD. Jiri/HL should set up a webpage with a counter towards the goal (price of the licensingfee) and see how much support they can muster, with the withdrawals done once the goal is reached.

A word from the devs about how they see CLOD interacting with 3rd party apps and mods wouldn't go amiss in a future update. But isn't to be expected soon considering everything still seems to be very hectic right now... we'll have to wait for CLOD to succeed and things to calm down at the office.

Chivas
06-24-2011, 01:38 AM
Not sure why not seeing all the people in the server thru HL rates as a fundamental flaw. Hyperlobby should get alot of credit from the IL-2 community for years of basicly free service. I've found Steam very good for updating final downloads and rectifiying beta problems, but there seems to be very few people online. Not sure if Steam is showing all the available servers, or if COD is still too flacky to be enjoyed online.

Thee_oddball
06-24-2011, 02:12 AM
Gentlemen i think we need a little clarification here, not having a real time count of people on a HL lobby server because of people who do a direct connect is an inconvenience logging off ALL servers for no apparent reason is a fundamental flaw.

S!

Blackdog_kt
06-24-2011, 02:12 AM
You know i have no agenda and BD i am not "misinformed" I know what was promised in terms of 3rd party (HL) and how the MODS will be handled and how VAC will work to maintain continuity and so on...
I have been here since day 1 doing my part so i don't someone like Doggles telling me "what is" without having the knowledge or exp with the client the server or the game in general.

S!

That's why i prefaced the second part of my post with "on a non-personal note", it wasn't referring to you directly but to a recent forum trend in general. Cheers ;)

Thee_oddball
06-24-2011, 02:16 AM
That's why i prefaced the second part of my post with "on a non-personal note", it wasn't referring to you directly but to a recent forum trend in general. Cheers ;)

no worries m8, i was cross eyed and in a bad mood :)

CaptainDoggles
06-24-2011, 04:03 AM
Not sure why not seeing all the people in the server thru HL rates as a fundamental flaw. Hyperlobby should get alot of credit from the IL-2 community for years of basicly free service. I've found Steam very good for updating final downloads and rectifiying beta problems, but there seems to be very few people online. Not sure if Steam is showing all the available servers, or if COD is still too flacky to be enjoyed online.

It's a flaw in that it's something that doesn't work the way it ought to (in my opinion). It's fundamental in that it's rooted in the design of the software.

I was asked to provide an example of a flaw in HL and that was what I chose.

CaptainDoggles
06-24-2011, 04:05 AM
Gentlemen i think we need a little clarification here, not having a real time count of people on a HL lobby server because of people who do a direct connect is an inconvenience logging off ALL servers for no apparent reason is a fundamental flaw.

S!

Call it what you will.

I suspect in time we will all learn that the clod servers logging off was a bug in the clod dedicated server code.

Thee_oddball
06-24-2011, 05:25 AM
Call it what you will.

I suspect in time we will all learn that the clod servers logging off was a bug in the clod dedicated server code.

ok..then explain how they all (the servers) managed to talk to each other and decide to log off at the same time.

S!

CaptainDoggles
06-24-2011, 05:37 AM
No, I don't think I will.

Since I am not a developer I don't have access to the source code. Anything beyond "it's a bug" is merely conjecture on my part.

You don't know they "talked to each other"

You don't know they "decided to log off"

But you can infer from the fact that literally hundreds of games have working dedicated servers that it's not a problem with steam. It's a problem with this particular dedicated server. Use logic.

KG26_Alpha
06-24-2011, 10:42 AM
Call it what you will.

You really don't know what you are talking about .

This isn't Twitter or some other social networking site, stop posting your random thoughts, someone might take you seriously.

CaptainDoggles
06-24-2011, 02:49 PM
Show me logical explanations as to why I'm wrong then.

Warhound
06-24-2011, 04:10 PM
I'm in Doggles camp to be honest.
Are you guys really convinced the error is in the Steamworks platform which is used by about 150! games since it's release in 2008 and only CLOD magically suffers from it?
To my understanding is just a protocol which needs to be coded into the game..if it's done right everything works, if there is an error somewhere in the gamecode you get bugs like this server problem.
Could compare it to your gmail timing out or being inacessible due to a faulty switch on your ISP's side. You can blame Google all you want and demand they fix it but until your ISP get's their stuff sorted nothing will change no matter how hard you shout.

http://steampowered.com/steamworks/gameservices.php

Orpheus
06-24-2011, 04:15 PM
You really don't know what you are talking about .

This isn't Twitter or some other social networking site, stop posting your random thoughts, someone might take you seriously.

Same could be applied equally to you, I suspect, unless you've been involved in the writing of the multiplayer code? No? Thought not. I expect less rudeness from a site moderator, to be quite honest - and where do you suggest we post our thoughts on the game, if not in the game's forums? Sort your attitude out before resorting to snide comments; most of us here are capable of remaining decent in discussions and we expect the same from you.

I'm in Doggles camp to be honest.
Are you guys really convinced the error is in the Steamworks platform which is used by about 150! games since it's release in 2008 and only CLOD magically suffers from it.
To my understanding is just a protocol which needs to be coded into the game..if it's done right everything works, if there is an error somewhere in the gamecode you get bugs like this server problem.
Could compare it to your gmail timing out or being inacessible due to a faulty switch on your ISP's side. You can blame Google all you want and demand they fix it but until your ISP get's their stuff sorted nothing will change no matter how hard you shout.

Absolutely. It's far more likely, given the sheer number of multiplayer games using steam with no problems whatsoever, that the issue is in fact with CloD, not Steam. It's called common sense. We could do with a bit more of it around here, especially regards this particular topic.

CaptainDoggles
06-24-2011, 04:17 PM
Someone who gets it!

KG26_Alpha
06-24-2011, 05:10 PM
Equally a lot that don't and never will, so any further discussion explanation is as usual pointless to continue with them.

I will leave you to the usual blind stab in the dark critique of everything and anything.

CaptainDoggles
06-24-2011, 05:15 PM
Your condescension is noted. Thanks for stopping by.

Thee_oddball
06-24-2011, 11:05 PM
doggles,Warhound and Orpheus you guys really are missing the point.
this game has many! problems and one of them is a communication issue with the OberServer on the steam mother ship.

Pointing fingers after a while becomes a mute point...because everyone is already gone and this also just reinforces the position of aot of people who did not want steam in the first place as it is just another cog to break.

We are at the mercey of steam right now which is doing as much damage to this game as the bugs are.
when ths game first came out it was pretty much unplayable except for the MP where the FPS and stutters were alot less..but it still had issues like the memory leak but successive patches improved this and then came the scripts and things really started looking up...but then the frequency of log-offs became daily and more.

Steam has TO MUCH control over our servers..if there is a communication issue with one/all of our servers than perhaps an automated e-mail should get fire off to the account holder instead of nuking the entire server set.

Since you guys are quick to point point out that there is a problem with our code and in the same breath tell us how wonderful and stable steam is for all the other games on there and that it has all these great features there is is however on fundamental fault with steam....communication! ...all we get is a little Grey box telling us we are being logged off...no error number no "please contact steam support about event at 17:53"...nothing!.

When HL goes down we can still do a direct connect but when steam TAKES us down we have to restart it...provided we even know it is down.

HL maybe old and dated but it works! and there being a problem with our code does not change the fact that the servers are running and people are playing UNTIL the great logoff happens and i don't care if the bug lies with us steam cannot and should not have the power to take our servers down! if they are functioning correctly.

S!

CaptainDoggles
06-25-2011, 06:13 AM
No YOU'RE missing the point. I started this thread, I think I know what it's about.

Do you have a solution or do you just enjoy running your mouth and telling people they're wrong? Go rant on the steam forums or something, good god.