PDA

View Full Version : Whats the world coming too?

Codex
06-22-2011, 10:59 PM
All gaming will be done through a browser? ... Steam and Apple will be the new gaming king? ... No more physical media ... ? The current business model of consoles is obsolete ... ?

What's the world coming too? ;)

http://www.next-gen.biz/features/phil-harrison-future

Ali Fish
06-22-2011, 11:10 PM
The world is coming to whatever you allow it to come too. I will not be told how iam going to game in the future.

CaptainDoggles
06-22-2011, 11:35 PM
Steam's not perfect, but it's not anywhere near as bad as some posters here would have you believe.

Give it a chance and you'll find it's actually a pretty good platform.

MadBlaster
06-22-2011, 11:54 PM
It's called the the New World Order. Keep your head down.

speculum jockey
06-23-2011, 12:47 AM
It's called the the New World Order. Keep your head down.

Have you managed to find a way to keep that tinfoil from chafing around your ears? ;)

Thee_oddball
06-23-2011, 12:50 AM
Steam's not perfect, but it's not anywhere near as bad as some posters here would have you believe.

Give it a chance and you'll find it's actually a pretty good platform.

when i am done with my cars,books,TV's,computers,Wife:shock:...etc I can give them away or sell them...you should try doing that with Steam.

This "renting" under the guise of purchase is BS.

S!

CaptainDoggles
06-23-2011, 12:56 AM
when i am done with my cars,books,TV's,computers,Wife:shock:...etc I can give them away or sell them...you should try doing that with Steam.

This "renting" under the guise of purchase is BS.

S!

It's a stretch of the truth to call it renting. Like I said steam isn't ideal in that they lock your games to your account. But it's not like they charge you a monthly fee.

Let's call a spade a spade and skip the rhetoric and hyperbole.

MadBlaster
06-23-2011, 01:09 AM
Have you managed to find a way to keep that tinfoil from chafing around your ears? ;)

Fair warning my friend. I'd rather have tan ear lobes than wear VR glasses all day long making love to the Steam Cloud.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9QpD64GUoXw

Troll2k
06-23-2011, 02:51 AM
Disconnect your computer from the internet(pull cable or turn off Wi-Fi) and see if you can play Clod offline.

ATAG_Doc
06-23-2011, 03:00 AM
All gaming will be done through a browser? ... Steam and Apple will be the new gaming king? ... No more physical media ... ? The current business model of consoles is obsolete ... ?

What's the world coming too? ;)

http://www.next-gen.biz/features/phil-harrison-future

No one has any clue. As soon as they get to a point that something like this is perfected enough for mass consumer consumption right behind it is something that is going to replace it that is only theorized about today.

What will sims be like 20 years from now? It's anyone's guess.

CaptainDoggles
06-23-2011, 03:17 AM
Disconnect your computer from the internet(pull cable or turn off Wi-Fi) and see if you can play Clod offline.

Steam menu > "Go Offline"

Troll2k
06-23-2011, 04:21 AM
I stand corrected.

Codex
06-23-2011, 06:15 AM
I think the article raised some good points though.

As I'm now almost soley buying all my games on Steam, I can now clear out my book shelf to make way for the scale models ;)

Seriously though, think about BluRay discs. They're what ... 5 years now in the mainstream consumer market and they're already useless. Many pay TV companies now allow you to download and store your movies ... TVO anyone?.

With 2TB drives dropping in price by the minute, who needs to use BluRay or DVDs anymore, just back them up to your HDDs.

Same idea applies to cloud computing / storage, why would I want to waste my book shelf space with DVD boxes that just sit there? I don't turn around and look at my boo kshelf and go "Awwww". Honestly, in terms of playing experience, what does a game distubted on DVD provide over a game from Steam?

MadBlaster
06-23-2011, 06:34 AM
The matrix...it wasn't just a movie.

hiro
06-23-2011, 07:42 AM
this cloud thing is becoming pretty popular . . .

in IT industry, this is getting pretty common place. But it requires lots of implementation and once properly done, it's close to set it and forget it (in the realm of IT support both client / server).

Heck its even chic to bring your personal laptop or work from home, log into the website and there's your workspace.

THey even know how to connect the cloud so it recognizes local pc hardware configured on it (like your printer) and keep it it safe (not hackproof but safe enough to keep 90% of them out)

As for the future no one knows.

In the next 10 years we could have a big fat war that tosses us back into the dark ages for a bit and kills globalization where everyone attached to a global cloud.

Or someone hits up mars and suddenly its vogue to be in space and so a virtualization is necessary to link family and friends cross planets (too early for cross the stars)

There could be a string of natural disasters. back to lugging your desktop because its easier protecting a box in your hands than a server on pinnacle in the middle of nowhere.

Everyone thought the tablet thing was out the door because a smart phone does exactly what a tablet does.
But tablets are gaining in popularity.

As for his notions on people fearing the unknown I can see that.

But as soon as someone shows the clear advantage of the shades / retina thing, like cyber-ization, everyone will jump to it. 8 out of 10 myopic friends jumped at LASIK even though there's a % you'll end up with permanent dry eyes, the 2K-3K procedure will last maybe 5 years before you need glasses, or it fug with your night vision etc . . .

People care about their health but they're willing to let it slip for certain factors like uber convenience, look at the modern food industry . .

But one thing I know is 10 years this game will be around.

Rattlehead
06-23-2011, 08:12 AM
I don't know how it wil all play out, but I do think the days of dedicated graphics cards are numbered though.

Screamadelica
06-23-2011, 12:30 PM
Where's Raaaid when you need him!:)

Ze-Jamz
06-23-2011, 12:42 PM
''Lawnmower man'' anyone :-)

the Dutchman
06-23-2011, 12:56 PM
Future pc's!

http://www.rense.com/general69/future.htm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=b3txQs7jEJ4