PDA

View Full Version : Regarding the Bf109 gunsight

335th_GRAthos
06-22-2011, 06:46 PM
I put your post here because I wanted to avoid misusing the bug thread for unrelated discussions:

Originally Posted by Stefem

Originally Posted by 335th_GRAthos
I would not call it a "bug", rather a "big mistake":

Luthier, give us on the Bf109 a view centered at the gunsight like in the original IL2FB!
(or, remove the head restriction from the "gunsight view").

I may sound stuborn, I think it is appalling to have to go and buy a TrackIR5 in order to be able to see through the center of the Bf-109 gunsight because on this game version a programmer decided not to implement what we had before (in IL2FB).

~S~

PS. Before anybody jumps on me regarding "historical correctness" it is as correct as the tracers which appeared suddently after a patch on the Spitfires.

You can change head position by keeping pressed the right mouse button (on mouse look mode, F10) and move the mouse to center the view (and eventually zoom pressing del), there's a valid reason if developers has chosen to do this, the misaligned gunsight is what real pilots had in his 109, so this is a natural disadvantage of the 109.

So, using the right mouse button (on mouse look mode, F10) or by buying TRACKIR5 you solve the problem! :)
But your comment proves the point....So why do they not fix it properly???? ;)

Because I have TrackIR3 without 6DOF and I can not center TRACKIR if I am on F10 mode (it will center the wrong way).

So if I go to spend more money than what this game cost (buy a new TrackIR5), I can solve my problem!

This is called I N S A N I T Y

I would not have been so blunt about it had it not been for four factors:
#1 IL2FB had it for 10years (I think it is 10 by now)!

#2 The historicaly correct Spitfire had no tracers during that period. After one patch (and some moaning) suddently all Spits have tracers.
Ha, Ha, I have seen less bending near black holes ;)

#3 There is no logic behind it: If you "loosen your straps" you have more freedom to turn your head, not less. But here, you loosen the straps and your head becomes unbendable!

#4 Since it is possible to do it (via mouse re-positioning or TrackIR5) there is no logical reason why it should not be fixed.

~S~

Blackdog_kt
06-23-2011, 03:57 AM
I think you can use older trackIR cameras with freetrack and have full 6 DoF as a temporary solution ;)

I actually like the feature, it's like having to tighten the straps to get a steady sight picture (it also reduces head-shake during high-G maneuvers) at the cost of not being able to turn around in your seat that much.

That being said, it needs some fine tuning but i wouldn't want a complete return to how things were in IL2:1946.

My idea for a solution:

1) Let the player save his default view position, like it happens in RoF: move around the cockpit, press a key combination and now your center defaults to that position.

2) Use the above method for centering the gunsight and make the straps command independent of gunsight view. They would just be about reducing how much headshake we get in violent maneuvers while maintaining their viewing angle limitations that they have now.

3) Use 1 and 2 when in the pilot's seat, but don't change it and use the current system for when we are in the gunner's seat (you can press the same command and you get a view down the sights of the gun, much easier to aim this way).

335th_GRAthos
06-23-2011, 10:18 AM
I think the moment of "shame" has come: Yes, I have the TRACKIR3 with 6DOF but I never used that frigging thing (that I have to put on the hat) for the past 4years and it is packed among the carton boxes stored at the warehouse. We have 40°C + outside so going to find it is like a visit to the sauna with workout...

But solution #1 is magnificent and sufficient for the job! I had no idea that ROF already had such a solution implemented!!! :)

Good to know!

~S~

skouras
06-23-2011, 01:15 PM
personally i don't have a problem with the gunshight of the 109 if it was like that in reality
i agree with Blackdog_kt with the solutions 1 and 2

Ze-Jamz
06-23-2011, 01:21 PM
personally i don't have a problem with the gunshight of the 109 if it was like that in reality
i agree with Blackdog_kt with the solutions 1 and 2

same

fiendlittlewing
06-24-2011, 11:04 PM
There is another solution.

Don't use the gunsight. Seriously.

At the effective range the sight isn't necessary. (enemy fills the windscreen)

If your maneuvering or if the merge is at a crazy angle, you can't effectively use the sight anyway.

Imagine an arc drawn from the top of your vertical stabilizer forward to the propeller hub through your lift vector. As you merge, line this up w/ the enemy's flight path and give him the snap shot as he comes around. Even the spitfire's sight is useless here.

Remember that the gunsight is just an estimate. It's balls on when the enemy is parked at convergence, but when dose that happen?

335th_GRAthos
07-01-2011, 08:36 AM
Luthier, if I do not see soon a patch fixing this, I will kill the cat!!!! :-D

~S~

carguy_
07-01-2011, 09:06 AM
I use the "tighten straps" switch or something like that. Works well enough, and I think the restriction with not being eble to turn your head around in this particular view is well modelled since you`re bent over the gunsight.

One of the features I miss is the toggle cockpit view button. One button was enough to get 3 kinds of POVs, now I have to put all three POVs on the joystick.