PDA

View Full Version : The new (old) map

Orpheus
06-22-2011, 09:40 AM
I notice in the beta patch that the in-game map has been swapped to include the half-inch, useless, screen space eating border from IL2 1946.

I for one find this a real step backwards, the first major one for me since release. Quite apart from the fact the border is quite obviously lifted from IL2 1946, and as such looks very old and out of place compared to the rest of the interface, it takes up a far greater amount of screen space. Unless it's resized (which is hard enough to do on the ground, let alone mid flight as the 'edges' of the window don't quite correspond to the drag-sliders), it's now eats around 1/5th of my screen instead of the nice, clean, small window we had at release. It looks horrible when compared to the nice, clean, modern interfaces we've become used to and actually makes me feel like I'm flying 1946 again, not the latest, up to date, beautiful Cliffs of Dover.

Obviously I prefer the earlier version, though now it's been changed I doubt it'll change back at the hands of the Dev team. Which means it's up to us! First person to figure out a way to get rid of the hideous new map border gets a prize!*

* Prize, in this circumstance should be taken to mean sincere appreciation from the author and other like-minded members of the community. ;) To me, the best prize would be a video (lookin at you Freycinet ;) ) with all the major community contributors like Blackdog etc flying in formation, each with their own custom skin with their name somewhere on the wings/fuselage. Something that will be around for many years, so we can look back and smile, and newcomers can see just how much effort the community has put in. That would be a 'prize' worth contributing to imo :D

Phazon
06-22-2011, 09:51 AM
Agreed. Its a horrible low-res looking placeholder of a map border. Please make the bad texture go away.

Rattlehead
06-22-2011, 10:34 AM
I notice in the beta patch that the in-game map has been swapped to include the half-inch, useless, screen space eating border from IL2 1946.

I for one find this a real step backwards, the first major one for me since release.

I haven't downloaded the patch but if the old map is in place, then I most certainly agree. I never liked the old map even way back when and I very much liked the more modern one.
As you say, the old map would look totally out of place in Clod.

I can't fathom why the map would be changed.

Orpheus
06-22-2011, 10:41 AM
For those who've not seen it, here is a video (post-beta):

http://forum.1cpublishing.eu/showpost.php?p=300480&postcount=125

New map appears at 37 seconds in, first half of the vid shows the release map as it was before the beta. The map change is clearly visible on the video thumbnail if you don't want to watch the vid. I actually don't want to fly the sim until this is fixed/removed, it's that awful.

senseispcc
06-22-2011, 10:55 AM
For those who've not seen it, here is a video (post-beta):

http://forum.1cpublishing.eu/showpost.php?p=300480&postcount=125

New map appears at 37 seconds in, first half of the vid shows the release map as it was before the beta. The map change is clearly visible on the video thumbnail if you don't want to watch the vid. I actually don't want to fly the sim until this is fixed/removed, it's that awful.

It is true it is not a hit but a miss!
But is it so important?

I like the game in general and the details shall be corrected in due time.

Vengeanze
06-22-2011, 11:02 AM
Anyone realised how to zoom in/out on the new map?

All the options of setting waypoints, measuring distances. Sure, in bigger maps but in a map where it takes 10 minutes to cross the channel..nah.

Orpheus
06-22-2011, 11:23 AM
It is true it is not a hit but a miss!
But is it so important?

I like the game in general and the details shall be corrected in due time.

In the grand scheme of things, I agree - there are more important thing to worry about, like improving performance, FMs etc. I too really like this game and can't wait for it to really come to full potential. But chucking in a 10yr old map border for a reason I am utterly unable to fathom is just unnecessary; it is completely out of sync with every other aspect of the UI, like adding a 10 year old sprite to a modern game. It looks horrible, takes up far too much screen space and seems to have been 'thrown in' to the patch just for the sake of it - I've not seen may people complaining that the map needed a border! ;)

If we're really lucky they'll just remove it from the retail patch (please Luthier, I'm begging you!), but if they don't, I want a way to get shot of it before I take another flight.

All the options of setting waypoints, measuring distances. Sure, in bigger maps but in a map where it takes 10 minutes to cross the channel..nah.

For my (horrible) in flight map, zoom is on the mouse-wheel, just as it was before.

Phazon
06-22-2011, 11:50 AM
I think the "porting" of this map border just goes to show how despeartely Maddox Games needs a GUI artist. From the look of the GUI throughout the whole game, it just looks like a bunch of programmed boxes with no historical flair at all ... and then that "soundtrack" starts up and all sense of immersion is already gone before you even get into the cockpit. :(

Nepe_EAF51
06-22-2011, 11:50 AM

It happened to me too. There is a option (new?) in the map, called "User something", with 3 buttons. Try with all of them, as one of them, the one that lets you measure distances at least, does not allow for map zoom, or at least that was my experience.

In relation with the topic, I also have to agree. I don´t like the new map at all.

sigintwarrior
06-22-2011, 12:00 PM
Of all the things on the list to fix, I can't believe that this was one of the ones they chose.

Ze-Jamz
06-22-2011, 12:16 PM
Please dont moan about a map border...Its horrible agreed but there are alot..alot more things to worry about and fix before that gets 2 mins work from a Dev..that 2 mins can go on something...important:rolleyes:

Blackdog_kt
06-22-2011, 12:23 PM
It happened to me too. There is a option (new?) in the map, called "User something", with 3 buttons. Try with all of them, as one of them, the one that lets you measure distances at least, does not allow for map zoom, or at least that was my experience.

In relation with the topic, I also have to agree. I don´t like the new map at all.

Wow, i didn't know that. I saw the new map but i didn't try the menu so i missed the distance measuring tool.

Border or not, this is very useful and a sign of what's possible. I keep thinking about how cool it will be to eventually have a full set of navigation tools so we can plot waypoints in flight, useful for multiplayer and also for using your own alternate route in single player.

and then that "soundtrack" starts up and all sense of immersion is already gone before you even get into the cockpit. :(

If you mean the menu soundtrack it's actually historical: it's a German marching song from time of the battle of Britain that's called "bombing England" or something like that ;)

Orpheus
06-22-2011, 12:31 PM
Please dont moan about a map border...Its horrible agreed but there are alot..alot more things to worry about and fix before that gets 2 mins work from a Dev..that 2 mins can go on something...important:rolleyes:

I agree with the sentiment. I've stated this before: while I agree that there are 'more important things', I still think this should be removed. I can't imagine it was a particularly taxing thing to implement, and reverting it back to a pre-beta state would, I hope, be very easy for the devs.

I don't have high hopes that they'll change it back, frankly, which is why I posted up asking for a community fix. That won't happen overnight either, but it's a start. I can't for the life of me understand why they thought it would be a good idea; to please the 'old hands' from IL2 1946 remains my only guess, but it's eye-jarringly out of place. But, if enough people say 'remove the border' then maybe, just maybe we'll get lucky... if not, it's in the hands of the community.

FG28_Kodiak
06-22-2011, 12:37 PM

Have you ever tried the scroll weel of your mouse, works fine for me ;)

Ali Fish
06-22-2011, 12:54 PM
ive no doubt a simple dump (LOL) could probally have that border modded. but Clearly guys it might be a placeholder. by friday it may be different. i dont believe for 1 second they deliberatly designed it that way.

Nepe_EAF51
06-22-2011, 01:08 PM

Yup, you are right, I wrote too fast :) It's moving the map what doesn't work, because you are using the mouse for measuring.

The option in the map is not called "User something" as I said, but "Tools". 3 buttons will appear, labelled P, L, T

P seems to activate normal mode
L let you measure distances
T let you measure angles (find headings)

In all of them the mouse wheel acts as zoom.

Wolf_Rider
06-22-2011, 02:08 PM
there ain't nothing wrong with the newer map... move it or resize it by grabbing one of the corners, and treat it as a map with the tools included.

I would agree the edge binding could of a higher res and more leather like colouring, especially in consideration of resizing, or something to take account of resizing...

its fine and 40's

ATAG_Doc
06-22-2011, 02:24 PM
There's a distance measuring tool on the map now? Hmmm

Wolf_Rider
06-22-2011, 02:27 PM
ruler, pencil and angle indicator

Phazon
06-22-2011, 02:32 PM
If you mean the menu soundtrack it's actually historical: it's a German marching song from time of the battle of Britain that's called "bombing England" or something like that ;)

I know its a real song, but it doesn't have to sound like someone recording a midi song from a keyboard in their bedroom. How about a real historical soundtrack from the times be used, those recordings aren't copyrighted so nothing stopping them for inserting something in.

Edit: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4EktYo4JZbM

^^^
Sounds infinitely better!!

Vengeanze
06-22-2011, 02:45 PM

The what?? :confused: ;)
http://cdn.electricpig.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/10/magic-mouse-1.jpg

I need another option.

W32Blaster
06-22-2011, 05:09 PM

I need another option.

Just seems like your mouse is a little retarded?!
Like so many things from apple: nice looking yuppie stuff, mostly crappy ...

Mattius
06-22-2011, 05:20 PM
OLD map MUCH better.:!:

Ze-Jamz
06-22-2011, 05:40 PM

I need another option.

LOL.. yea your XXXXXX then mate

pupo162
06-22-2011, 05:43 PM
well i liek the border. make it optional = solved

Vengeanze
06-22-2011, 06:57 PM
LOL.. yea your f#cked then mate
Well, can u do this...?
http://www.itechnews.net/wp-content/uploads/2009/10/Apple-Magic-Mouse-Multitouch-mouse-use.jpg:-P

W32Blaster
06-22-2011, 07:17 PM
no, but I dont have a problem with my scrolling ...

senseispcc
06-23-2011, 08:30 AM
The map is now not beautiful put practical! The possition stick on the screen but I cannot resize it?

Vengeanze
06-23-2011, 08:41 AM
The map is now not beautiful put practical! The possition stick on the screen but I cannot resize it?
All info u need is in this thread.
To resize the hole map drag in the corners.
To zoom in and out then use the scroll wheel on your mouse.

Orpheus
06-23-2011, 08:45 AM

Yeah, the problem is that the 'edges' of the border don't quite correspond to the window dimensions. Try hovering your mouse over the bottom of the border in different places until you see the resize tool.

Back on topic! :D

Gourmand
06-23-2011, 10:52 AM
the border take 1/10 of the map ! hide the visibility and not beautiful
why so large??? it's look like a wall table

actual
http://img641.imageshack.us/img641/2932/test0.png

should be

http://img16.imageshack.us/img16/3166/test3wx.png
or like collector edition ;)
http://img64.imageshack.us/img64/9397/test2k.png

flyingblind
06-23-2011, 08:48 PM
To move map put curser on border, hold down left and right mouse buttons together and drag - simples.

TUSA/TX-Gunslinger
06-24-2011, 02:02 AM
I like the borderless, non-beta map. I don't like this new one.

It would be nice to be able to control the maps transparancy.

S!

Gunny

Kozi
06-24-2011, 09:16 AM
The option in the map is not called "User something" as I said, but "Tools". 3 buttons will appear, labelled P, L, T

P seems to activate normal mode
L let you measure distances
T let you measure angles (find headings)

Actually the "P" button enables you to mark a waypoint on the map at your point of interest by left clicking the mouse. You have the choice of eight different icons to use and you can also add a label. The time is marked with the waypoint automatically.
A handy little feature.

Nepe_EAF51
06-24-2011, 09:40 AM
Nice one Kozi, thanks :)

flyingblind
06-24-2011, 02:19 PM
My tools show half of a fourth button marked B but I haven't worked out how to expand the tools box to see if there are any more.

ATAG_Doc
06-24-2011, 02:23 PM
I liked the old map. The border does take up a lot of room.

Orpheus
06-24-2011, 04:53 PM
Thanks for the replies gents, lets hope we get the opportunity to change it!

Wolf_Rider
06-24-2011, 05:24 PM
Why? its fine

Orpheus
06-24-2011, 05:30 PM
Why? its fine

The map's fine. The border is horrible, it looks incredibly out of place (probably because it's a decade old texture) compared to the rest of the UI and takes up loads more screen space.

Of all the things to port over from Il2 1946, the map border wasn't one of them. Of course, this is just my opinion, but I put this here to encourage a community fix as one is unlikely to be forthcoming from 1C.

Orpheus
06-24-2011, 05:58 PM
Oh, thanks awfully for moving here so no-one will see it. At the very least, if you must move it, move it to the Modding forum as it is a mod-related request.

Cheers a bunch KG, guess we know which way the wind blows now. Are you actively trying to alienate the game's fanbase, or are you just miffed I picked you up on being snarky?*

*if it wasn't KG26, then I apologise - but would still like it moved to the mod forum, not here.

Wolf_Rider
06-25-2011, 02:42 AM
The map's fine. The border is horrible, it looks incredibly out of place (probably because it's a decade old texture) compared to the rest of the UI and takes up loads more screen space.

Of all the things to port over from Il2 1946, the map border wasn't one of them. Of course, this is just my opinion, but I put this here to encourage a community fix as one is unlikely to be forthcoming from 1C.

I could agree the border could be a bit (not much though) thinner and the colour made more leatherlike, and allowance made resolutioin wise when the map is resized, but it doesn't really take up any more screen than a borderless map does... plus the whole thing can be folded up and pushed off to oneside.

oh, and take it easy on the admin... they cut us a fair amount of slack

Orpheus
06-25-2011, 05:16 PM
This thread STILL needs to be moved to the modding section!