PDA

View Full Version : Exhaust flame effects, Player vs. AI

Strike
06-16-2011, 07:39 PM
Hi guys!

I just have a question about the exhaust stack flames and smoke.

When I play IL-2 CloD I can only see my own :

-Exhaust flames
-Engine misfires
-Negative G cutout smoke
-Throttle cut smoke

I cannot see other players' smoke (online) or AI planes' smoke.

The damage smokes and fires work fine, it's just the engine specific effects..

If I pilot my own plane, then click "A" for engage autopilot, then the exhaust stack flames disappear and looks just like all the other AI.

Is it only me or are you guys also experiencing the same?

I can't tell when the enemy is doing neg-G cutouts online nor see their engine damage... Kindof annoying, knowing that they're disabled for all other planes..

335th_GRAthos
06-17-2011, 08:21 AM
Well, if you really insist to have them, use the original release of CoD (before any patch), it had that.

The only problem associated with it was that, as soon you were approaching a group of enemy bombers (the JU88 bomber intercept mission over the channel) your frame rate wuld drop frm 30fps to 8fps!

For obvious reasons the first patch had them removed. Which was a good idea.

Summarizing, yes, nice to have but fps killer for the current generation of graphic cards thus, out.

~S~

Sternjaeger
06-17-2011, 08:32 AM
Well, if you really insist to have them, use the original release of CoD (before any patch), it had that.

The only problem associated with it was that, as soon you were approaching a group of enemy bombers (the JU88 bomber intercept mission over the channel) your frame rate wuld drop frm 30fps to 8fps!

For obvious reasons the first patch had them removed. Which was a good idea.

Summarizing, yes, nice to have but fps killer for the current generation of graphic cards thus, out.

~S~

I really do hope they're gonna fix it and put em back! Added so much realism to the game, esp at night!

Strike
06-22-2011, 03:27 PM
I was thinking about a compromise, where they don't use the "animated" flames we have now for other aircraft and AI, but just brief 2D sprites/images that are similar to first person shooter muzzle flashes. That would save a lot of resources compared to the animated smooth flashes we see now.

Then again, perhaps remove the normal operation flames completely, and add the effect ONLY when the engine is either suffering from fuel starvation (neg G dive) or when misfiring (after damage).

I honestly believe that is doable without a significant performance drop!