PDA

View Full Version : What will we see in July?

Adlerhorst
06-08-2011, 08:30 PM
After reading Luthier's latest I have a question for those of you who understand the developmental process. Will the US release version incorporate the state of the art or will there be a massive patch released simultaneously? Will the train continue to move while they paint it or will there be a focus on getting the best US version right out of the box to attract the new larger customer base?

JG14_Jagr
06-08-2011, 09:15 PM
The Box version and the online version will be current with each other. Whatever the latest greatest build they have will go gold.. then they will continue to ddevelop and tune it. Steam will keep ALL versions the same.

speculum jockey
06-09-2011, 03:59 AM
or will there be a focus on getting the best US version right out of the box to attract the new larger customer base?

Actually North America is a smaller customer base (simmers) than Europe is. With first person shooters it's still the #1 market, but with something like CloD, Europe is the money-maker.

Lololopoulos
06-09-2011, 04:50 AM
Actually North America is a smaller customer base (simmers) than Europe is. With first person shooters it's still the #1 market, but with something like CloD, Europe is the money-maker.

I really wonder why that's the case for north america. The only people around me that actually r interested in aviation/flight sim is a guy from Turkey. And I am from China. I don't know any Americans that play or have heard of the IL-2 series.

All people here do is call of duty, halo etc, and games like starcraft has a pretty big fan base too.

csThor
06-09-2011, 04:55 AM
That's nothing "North American" about it. Most casual gamers in "western countries" do not have an interest in flight sims. In fact most of them just want to be entertained, short term, without a steep learning curve to master the game. That and the steady descent of the attention span to the levels of the carpet's height, that is. :rolleyes:

machoo
06-09-2011, 06:31 AM
Whatever happens in July , lets hope it's not like Steams disaster release of Witcher 2 - I brought this on Steam and the last 2 patch have been 9GB each in size. This is all due to steams shitty way of doing things.

Bobb4
06-09-2011, 06:41 AM
Lol Verify files first before patching...
Steam always forgets what you have on your system. If you verify the downloads are smaller.

We have a lot of fliers in our squadron from the USA.
I think the delay for the USA launch has nothing to do with getting the game up to scratch, but more likely USA customers are more likely to demand their money back from the retailer. Something Ubisoft is well aware of :(

machoo
06-09-2011, 07:22 AM
Lol Verify files first before patching...
Steam always forgets what you have on your system. If you verify the downloads are smaller.

(

No this is different. There is no fix for it yet , Steam have admitted it. Witcher 2 = 9GB patch is on steam. You can't play until you update.
the Steam version is one archive that updates the entire game, pure idiocy

Rattlehead
06-09-2011, 08:46 AM
Well, first we have to assume that the release date will stand.
It's been pushed back twice now, I think, and it's really up to 1c to decide if the game is fit to fly for North America or still needs some work. I would not completely rule out another postponement.

If the June patch fixes what it promises to fix, then that is a major step forward. Then there should be another big patch (just assuming but I have a hunch) just before the release in NA, which might have to correct some stuff from the June patch, as well as adding new fixes and maybe new content.

So by launch date a significant amount of progress should have been made.
But I don't know if we'll see any new campaigns, and the sounds will probably still be the same for a while longer after the NA launch.

Zappatime
06-09-2011, 05:30 PM
I don't know any Americans that play or have heard of the IL-2 series.

I'm from the UK but I made a very close good friend in the USA from our mutual love of il2 (and Frank Zappa, as it happens:grin:). I dont think Battle of Britain is as high on americans' list as say europeans', simply because its not, for the most part, part of their history. I'm sure if it were Korea or even a re-run of the Pacific theatre, or mediteranean theatre then interest would be far higher.

41Sqn_Stormcrow
06-09-2011, 11:08 PM
I hope that shortly after the Battle of Moscow we will get the Pacific Theatre back.

I have no particular historic connection to this TOW due to my geographic location, but wow, HOW MUCH fun did I have playing online on the Zeke vs Wildcat server. It was so great, the best online experience on a constant basis that I ever had. I just loved to play the Midway mission (always on allied side of course as the F4 is such a great plane).

ktodack
06-10-2011, 01:45 AM
I'm from the UK but I made a very close good friend in the USA from our mutual love of il2 (and Frank Zappa, as it happens:grin:). I dont think Battle of Britain is as high on americans' list as say europeans', simply because its not, for the most part, part of their history. I'm sure if it were Korea or even a re-run of the Pacific theatre, or mediteranean theatre then interest would be far higher.
Your probably right about BOB having a higher interest among Europeans then US since its a direct part of European history. But I do think that the Sim could do well in the US if it was properly marketed. First I think that the whole WW2 combat flight Sim gaming has to be better intoduced to US gamers and they need to see the incredible immersion that's possible with IL-2:COD. It's an incredible story and it was all true-- Britain fighting for her existance, Luftwaffe going for the knockout punch, young warrier pilots jousting in the sky to the death, great fighter aircraft, hundreds of bombers-- everything done with the latest attention to detail, accuracy and atmospherics. Gamers just need to see some trailers. Part of the solution would be an easier out of the box setup for the SIM controllers- it shouldn't take hours to set up. Also needed is less then $100 HOTAS that is reliable and just works. This keeps a lot of people away from serious flight sims.

Vrait
06-10-2011, 04:34 AM

Korea is kinda not the big at all here haha. Pacific theater for sure would be bigger. The BoB was before Americas involvement so we have no history there. But the Mediterranean and Pacific we do. I would be interested in a Korean sim though.

jayrc
06-10-2011, 05:32 AM
1+ for korean era

Tvrdi
06-10-2011, 07:20 AM
we will see a new shiny sim from 1C settled in Korea...are you ready to trash more money?

Pluto
06-10-2011, 07:41 AM
That's nothing "North American" about it. Most casual gamers in "western countries" do not have an interest in flight sims. In fact most of them just want to be entertained, short term, without a steep learning curve to master the game. That and the steady descent of the attention span to the levels of the carpet's height, that is. :rolleyes:

... you are right, they want to be entertained, that is why so many crap games are on the market. The quality of the games in the last years also reflect the mentality of many gamers.

:twisted:

Tree_UK
06-10-2011, 08:10 AM
Im hoping that we will see CLOD all fixed and then Luthier announcing that he's going back to his original priority (his words) of getting DX11 to work.

David198502
06-10-2011, 08:33 AM
Im hoping that we will see CLOD all fixed and then Luthier announcing that he's going back to his original priority (his words) of getting DX11 to work.

stupid question,...but what can we expect once dx11 is working?will only the graphics look better, or will we also see an increase in performance?

Blackdog_kt
06-11-2011, 03:45 AM
Generally speaking, DX11 allows you to do some processor-intensive stuff with less effort and introduce some new features as well. However, it's still perfectly possible to bog things down if you go overboard with it, so i guess it will be a matter of maintaining the proper balance.

If it was my choice, i'd use it to number crunch things that have an importance in flight sims on the graphics card (like FM/DM parameters) and maybe upgrade a couple of graphical features that have a gameplay relevance (eg, transparent water for U-boat hunting).

What i certainly wouldn't do is waste DX11's capabilities on graphic upgrades of a smaller importance to the overall gameplay experience, like for example using tessellation for railway embankments so that the stones making them up have a more 3D feel to them: who cares, i'm zipping by at a speed of at least 150mph.

To sum up:
Yes, it can do processor-intensive things easier (some of them can also be done with DX10.1 but not all of them).

Yes, it will still bog the system down if you use all the bells and whistles on every single item in the game world, so better use it on things that will enhance the gameplay experience (which translates to very specific features on a flight sim).

Qpassa
06-11-2011, 08:20 AM
I dont like Korea war. I prefer Europe Theatre or Spanish Civil War

kimosabi
06-11-2011, 08:51 AM

Vast majority of "western" people I have explained to that I'm flying sims have one common question: "Why don't you get a pilots license?" Most people see a game as a game, not a 50hour a week learning experience.

Rattlehead
06-11-2011, 09:29 AM
Most people see a game as a game, not a 50hour a week learning experience.

Very true, and a major reason why simulators of all types can never compete with arcade games in terms of sales.

But having said that, no game I've played has immersed me like Il-2, GTR etc.
Very few games last more than a week or maybe two on my drive; a sim can last years.

In short, I'm glad there are developers who still make simulators.

Theshark888
06-11-2011, 08:32 PM
Americans want the daylight bombing campaign over europe 1943-45. Pacific is a more distant second. Make this with a good single-player campaign and they will come; B-17's, B-24's, etc. I don't believe 1C would be willing to pay the fees in order to get all the Ami aircraft:grin:

Korea is a no go along with NA (but it's my personal favorite).

Al Schlageter
06-11-2011, 09:32 PM
North America is not just the USA. There is a country north of the USA called Canada which is very interested in the BoB.

By far the largest number of defenders were British, but fighter pilots of many other nations flew with them, including some 80 Canadians. Of these, 26 were in the RCAF's No. 1 Squadron, which arrived soon after Dunkirk; 16 flew as a team in the RAF's 242 "Canadian" Squadron; the rest were scattered among a dozen other RAF squadrons. These last included men such as PO. Johnnie Bryson, an ex-Mountie; Flt. Lt. Johnnie Kent of Winnipeg, who flew with the Poles in 303 Squadron; and FO. W. H. Nelson, who served in 74 Squadron with the South African ace Adolph "Sailor" Malan. Another 200 Canadian airmen fought in RAF Bomber and Coastal commands, which throughout the battle pounded at German invasion ports and other targets; 27 of them gave their lives.

Timberwolf
06-11-2011, 10:00 PM

If you put this country and that country sure Europe has a market However if you put the pop of USA ( 311,529,000 ) people. Mexico (112,336,538) and Canada ( 34,480,000 ) close to 1/2 a billion people Compare that to England.Scotland,wales, Northern Ireland and ( 62,008,048 )

I use to player Fighter Ace online for 5 years ( 90%) of flyers spoke/typed english In my sqaudron we had 50 members New york, New orlens, Arizona Michigan, Canada: Me in Toronto and 1 in Vancouver, England scotland ausseland, and other squads were moslty the same with the odd russian or german or dutch player
Sadly the reason Fighter ace shut down in my own opinion was rather then listenning to paying customers on what over 50% wanted they added Korean war sever with jets ..Rather then adding a newer maps and better ideas
If your a true ww2 dogfight simmer picture 60 player flight of B-17's and 50 fighter planes and your squad in Lancasters spitfires and tempest and a few c-47's flying against 200 other online players in zeros, yaks, il-10's, 109's 190's ta 151, etc etc ...I'm telling you your knuckles are white and your right into the game .. you look at the clock and 3 hrs feel like 20 mins gone by...Thats what makes a great sim Keep whatever country you want happy and work on what makes it good even better others will join. Word will get out. Promise something and don't do it or change it into something diffrent from what you started a basis with and its doomed ..Fight ace and its jets was looked at as something diffrent and new.."NEW" wore off in weeks to come and was dead with in 6 months

What i would like to see in the future small maps ( we only used some of the map in single player and 90% is the same areas ) less loading and useage maybe Fps will be better and you could add more eye/ear candy with what you have

More online players per sever 200- 250
Its hard to think of adding planes or battles when all you have is 1 area and 1 year of the war time frame ..I would love to say north africa or Germany defence