PDA

View Full Version : Please help Get HD6970 working in CLoD

gblair
06-07-2011, 05:40 PM
Hi all,

I cant believe that a high end card like the MSI R6970 lightning is not supported in CLod. :(

I get a black screen on the map page and in game play, but full sounds and contrOls.

I can only get it to work in DirectX9 mode by changing the "Render=" in the Conf.ini. I get the above black screen if I leave it on the default DirectX10 setting.

I'm running Windows 7 64bit with 6Gb Ram on a ASUS Rampage III Extreme

I tried setting the memory clocks back to standard as suggested by some, but no difference.

Using latest ATi 11.5 driver

All other Dx10 and DX11 games work well.

Is there a solution to this?

Many thanks

GORDON

Derinahon
06-07-2011, 10:22 PM
Leave the ini as it is and try switching pseudo/full screen in the game?

TonyD
06-08-2011, 10:30 AM
Leave the ini as it is and try switching pseudo/full screen in the game?

+1. Gordon, you didn't provide any system spec, but nevertheless should be able to run the game acceptably, albeit with those frigging blue lines on the horizon. I have everything set to default (CCC settings, cpu and gpu clock speeds, ini file) and use the ‘full screen’ setting. My game settings are as I included in this post (http://forum.1cpublishing.eu/showthread.php?t=23418). Hope this helps.

gblair
06-08-2011, 02:38 PM
Thanks Derinahon and TonyD, tried your suggestions but no luck.

Just some background, I had an ATI R5870 1GB which worked ok albeit slow in CLoD. I removed R5870 AND ATI ccc drivers, installed new R6970 installed latest ATI drivers (11.5b) and I have the problem with black screen. I can hear game running and throttle changes etc, but black screen???

Full system spec is:

CPU: Intel i7 960 3.2 GHz (stock)
memory: 6 GB (3 X 2GB) DDR3 1333 (running at stock)
gpu: 6970 2GB @ 940 / 1375
mb: ASUS Rampage III Extreme

gblair
06-08-2011, 08:07 PM
SOLVED!!!

Changed Render=D3D10_0 to Render=D3D10_1 :):):)

and all is working.

Whats more, NO blue lines on horizon as predicted and expected!!!!!!!

TonyD
06-09-2011, 04:48 PM
SOLVED!!!

and all is working.

I’ve tried that, but it goes from running at a (frame-limited) rate of 50fps to 25fps over Dover, the terrain tile texture edges (black lines) can be seen everywhere, and it appears what little AA there is no longer applied to the terrain (houses become aliased). But the blue lines are gone.

Do you not experience a similar performance hit?

Derinahon
06-09-2011, 05:59 PM
SOLVED!!!

and all is working.

I upgraded to the 6970 from a 5870, but didn't have this problem. Anyway, glad you fixed it and I'm gonna try your tweak and see if the blue lines disappear :)

I’ve tried that, but it goes from running at a (frame-limited) rate of 50fps to 25fps over Dover, the terrain tile texture edges (black lines) can be seen everywhere, and it appears what little AA there is no longer applied to the terrain (houses become aliased). But the blue lines are gone.

Do you not experience a similar performance hit?

Did you try setting AF in CCC to counter the black lines? Don't know about the missing AA though. I'll try it out.

TonyD
06-09-2011, 06:17 PM
Did you try setting AF in CCC to counter the black lines? Don't know about the missing AA though. I'll try it out.

Yes, I did - no effect. I'm not sure about the AA though, the low frame rate at tree-top height (<18fps) probably makes the buildings look worse. I've also noticed that the long narrow rectangles between the sea and shore have been replaced by (what appears to be) much wider and shorter ones, resulting in an angular fluctuating shore line.

The performance leaving the DX version at default (10.0) is very good, apart from the blue lines. The only other graphic error seen are those occasional rectangles. Nice find though Gordon, it may just provide the dev's with a further clue to the resolution :)

gblair
06-10-2011, 08:54 AM
I found some time to actually play the game last night and yes, found that fps was only around 20-25 over Dover.

I also have the lines in the sea (terrain tile texture edges ?)

Well at least I can play for now until we get another patch

Ataros
06-10-2011, 09:30 AM
If you read other threads here and in the performance section 6970 runs very smooth and with very high fps. The only issue is 3 blue lines at the horizon. Something is wrong with your system. Reinstall directx and al the software from redist subfolder.

I have artifacts and low fps in dx10_1 but my card is different.

Also try reinstalling video drivers using drivercleaner to remove the old ones. Read manual/readme on how to do it properly. It could be a case that some records about your old card remain in the registry.

TonyD
06-10-2011, 08:29 PM

Also try reinstalling video drivers using drivercleaner to remove the old ones. Read manual/readme on how to do it properly. It could be a case that some records about your old card remain in the registry.

Gordon, I would second that. I found that AfterBurner turned my clocks down to the values used on my 5850 after installing the new card, until I used DriverSweeper to remove the driver before re-installing them. This fixed the issue as the clocks then idled at the correct values. Your system should run CloD at both high frame rates and settings without having to customise the config file (but you’ll have to put up with the blue stripes for now).

gblair
06-14-2011, 09:15 PM
Well, I have tried everybodys suggestions, and still no luck!!

I even did a repair install of Windows, just in case.

I am pretty sure that this is an issue with CLoD, as I can run other Dx10 and DX11 games such as Dirt 3 with no problems.

I can also run the Heaven benchmark in DX9, DX10 and Dx11 modes without any problems

Bobb4
06-15-2011, 08:09 AM
Suggestion 1)
Reinstall Clod. (if you do not want to go that route clear cache at least.
Install 11.6 driver 64bit (your current driver is a beta).
You have not once metioned your power supply, the 6970 is a hungry beast and if your's is a modded 6950 shader upgrade then it could be just not capable. Set it back to default if it is an overclocked 6950.
Suggestion 2)
Less likely but possible. Uninstall all boosting monitoring products. ATI Tools, MSI afterburner etc and then reinstall them. They could be affecting your card.

Go back to default config file

Hope this helps

gblair
06-16-2011, 10:40 AM
Ok all, some interesting findings after some extensive experimenting.

I am convinced that the problem lies with CLoD.

I used many different games, applications and benchmarks to see if the different D3D modes are switched/being used.

FSX with DX10 preview shows running in DX10 with default clock speeds
Dirt 3 running in DX11 with default clock speeds
Downloaded Civilization 5 Demo from Steam as you can select DX9 or DX10/11 at startup. Shows correctly DX9 when DX9 chosen and DX11 when that's chosen.

So obviously no problem with Graphics card or DirectX or drivers???

Now the interesting bit:

Run CLoD in DSD10.1 and game runs, BUT in DX9 mode!!!
Restarting and stopping CLoD to make changes, I actually got it to run in DX10 mode a couple of times, but the clock speed only at 800 in game instead of my cards default 940 (factory overclocked). I noticed that in the menus and loading screen the clock speed was correct at 940 but as soon as game starts, it drops to 800.

And of course, while running in DX10 mode I have the 3 blue lines on the horizon.

It's a bit hit and miss whether the game will start in DX10 mode, I have not yet found out what triggers it.
I do not change any settings at all and yet sometimes the game will start correctly in DX10 mode.

This must be a game/coding/fullscreen issue.

Ataros
06-17-2011, 10:22 AM
I noticed that in the menus and loading screen the clock speed was correct at 940 but as soon as game starts, it drops to 800.

Make a Game Profile in ATI Tray Tools with your default clocks to fix this.

Did you try reinstalling all the programs from the redist folder?

gblair
06-19-2011, 11:15 AM
i have reinstalled the game and everything in the redist folder, still does the same.

Any other ideas? it seems the game is not switching crredtly into DX10 mode for video.

Gordon

Vengeanze
06-19-2011, 12:30 PM
I overclocked my g-card and got the same behaviour that oc-speed in menues but when game loaded it went back to stock clocks.
That was with the MSI Afterburner.
I then tried a different oc tool - Sapphire Trixx and then the clocks stayed even in game.
I use ATI Tray Tool to see temps and clocks in game (with OSD).

Dunno if this helps any but seems you've tried most other stuff.

BigRon77
09-27-2011, 09:39 PM
I have the same problem still many months after release of game.

Black screen and sounds of game!

Would love my money back at this point.

From now on going to download all games and try before buy, that way don't buy a game that doesn't run or doesn't suit.

Good luck all.

Ron.

Solid-State
10-02-2011, 10:21 PM
Have you ever updated DirectX Enduser Runtimes?

http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?id=35

I find on most machines I run it on it installs missing DX dll from prior versions of DX. This is done for compatibility of older DX API programs in Win 7.