PDA

View Full Version : Hurricane Auxiliary Fuel Tank

l3uLLDoZeR
06-04-2011, 05:44 PM
Can anyone tell me how much fuel the Auxiliary tank holds in the Hurri? It's gotten me back a couple times already and always seems to last longer than I would expect.
My guess is 10-12 gallons.

Danelov
06-04-2011, 08:42 PM
28 Imp gal (127 l)in the auxiliar. Total fuel capacity was 97 Imperial gal(441 liters).

Vengeanze
06-04-2011, 10:29 PM
Gonna borrow this thread for a short question. Anyone know where I can find info on the different fuel tanks? I noticed a switch where I can choose port/starboard and aux I think it was (Hurri).
What does that do for me? When should/need I use it?

Moggy
06-05-2011, 10:52 AM
Gonna borrow this thread for a short question. Anyone know where I can find info on the different fuel tanks? I noticed a switch where I can choose port/starboard and aux I think it was (Hurri).
What does that do for me? When should/need I use it?

If you want to fly the Hurri accurately. Before start up, you should switch to the reserve tank.....although in game you can start on the main tanks if you wish but in real life this wasn't achievable until the Hurricane Mk.II came into service. The Hurricane Mk.I cannot start up on the main tank as the fuel tanks are located below the engine and the pump does not turn on until after start up. The reserve (or gravity) tank is located above the engine and is used for starting up. Once you've started the engine, you then switch back to the main tanks. Early on in the Hurricane's career, you didn't switch to main tanks until after take off. Unfortunately, many student pilots forgot to switch back and this caused many problems. Failure to switch back was called a "Gravity Charlie" and ended many a pilots' career. So you can see why they had the need to switch over to main tanks just after start up.
The switch you seem to be referring to, is simply the fuel gauge selector switch and will display the fuel contents for the current tank selected on the gauge.
Hope this helps.

Vengeanze
06-05-2011, 11:44 AM
If you want to fly the Hurri accurately. Before start up, you should switch to the reserve tank.....although in game you can start on the main tanks if you wish but in real life this wasn't achievable until the Hurricane Mk.II came into service. The Hurricane Mk.I cannot start up on the main tank as the fuel tanks are located below the engine and the pump does not turn on until after start up. The reserve (or gravity) tank is located above the engine and is used for starting up. Once you've started the engine, you then switch back to the main tanks. Early on in the Hurricane's career, you didn't switch to main tanks until after take off. Unfortunately, many student pilots forgot to switch back and this caused many problems. Failure to switch back was called a "Gravity Charlie" and ended many a pilots' career. So you can see why they had the need to switch over to main tanks just after start up.
The switch you seem to be referring to, is simply the fuel gauge selector switch and will display the fuel contents for the current tank selected on the gauge.
Hope this helps.
Great info. Much appreciated. Thanks