PDA

View Full Version : its still slow over trees...

Tvrdi
06-02-2011, 11:51 AM
trees at medium, grass is OFF...when flyin down low (online and offline)....i7920@3.5Ghz, GTX470@750Mhz, 6GB RAM, 1680x1050, TIR5....

335th_GRAthos
06-02-2011, 12:20 PM
...grab an axe

sorry, couldn't resist after I read it in somebody's signature... :D

sorry, no solution but if you upload a track, I can run it on my SLI setup and tell you whether there is difference...
I have set the trees to "very low", land details=high and grass=on and like it, I think the game has too many trees, probably they were thinking about the CO2 offset to the electricity our new GPUs will consume running the game...

~S~

Tvrdi
06-02-2011, 01:13 PM
...grab an axe

sorry, couldn't resist after I read it in somebody's signature... :D

sorry, no solution but if you upload a track, I can run it on my SLI setup and tell you whether there is difference...
I have set the trees to "very low", land details=high and grass=on and like it, I think the game has too many trees, probably they were thinking about the CO2 offset to the electricity our new GPUs will consume running the game...

~S~

well its playable but FPS drop is very noticable...Will try with trees set to low (although its ugly), land details I have maxed.....

ευχαριστώ

Ivan Fooker
06-02-2011, 06:32 PM
You are correct, the trees are still a performance killer.
I guess it is the only model without a geolod on the map, that causes most performance troubles.
I am running my I7.920@3.99 ghz with 5870HD and flying with Vsync on 60fps...well off course not more.
However, when i fly over London or the sea etc i got no stutters, but flying low above trees or watching into a forest makes the game stutter.
It doesnt impact the fps but stutter comes up.Means the fps keep staying at 60fps.

Tvrdi
06-02-2011, 08:25 PM
You are correct, the trees are still a performance killer.
I guess it is the only model without a geolod on the map, that causes most performance troubles.
I am running my I7.920@3.99 ghz with 5870HD and flying with Vsync on 60fps...well off course not more.
However, when i fly over London or the sea etc i got no stutters, but flying low above trees or watching into a forest makes the game stutter.
It doesnt impact the fps but stutter comes up.Means the fps keep staying at 60fps.

tbh I didnt measure FPS but it is choppy over trees

BigPickle
06-03-2011, 08:48 AM
I really think the main problem is probably because of LOD's, Arma2 suffered in the same way with the same tell tail signs.
I've noticed buildings res'n in and out of focus a lot too.

Tvrdi
06-12-2011, 02:57 PM
just tried again, online, its still slow everytime im over trees....that is with gtx470 Oc to 750mhz on core, i7920 Oc to 3.5ghz and 6 gigs of RAM...

Wolf_Rider
06-13-2011, 12:40 AM
The trees themselves aren't so much the problem, or buildings... it is the shadows which appear to be causing the hit.
Sadly, cockpit and ground shadows are linked.

Tvrdi
06-13-2011, 08:01 AM
The trees themselves aren't so much the problem, or buildings... it is the shadows which appear to be causing the hit.
Sadly, cockpit and ground shadows are linked.

I turned off shadows...

Ataros
06-13-2011, 08:08 AM
I keep shadows on to have them in cockpit, but reduce landscape shading by 1 or 2 levels and texture quality by 1 level.

Low landscape shading gives big increase in fps and smoothness with shadows on. Forest, grass, roads do not hit performance with these settings that much on my PC.

Tvrdi
06-13-2011, 09:22 AM
I keep shadows on to have them in cockpit, but reduce landscape shading by 1 or 2 levels and texture quality by 1 level.

Low landscape shading gives big increase in fps and smoothness with shadows on. Forest, grass, roads do not hit performance with these settings that much on my PC.

will try that thanks...altough, CLODs neon landscape is ugly enough even on high settings...ehhh

Wolf_Rider
06-13-2011, 11:27 AM
I guess it comes down to hardware settings per sim settings and what people define as none/ not much/ a bit or a lot, eh?

335th_GRAthos
06-13-2011, 11:55 AM
[QUOTE=Ataros;296620]I keep shadows on to have them in cockpit, but reduce landscape shading by 1 or 2 levels and texture quality by 1 level.QUOTE]

From the menu or directly in the conf.ini?

Vengeanze
06-13-2011, 12:15 PM
[QUOTE=Ataros;296620]I keep shadows on to have them in cockpit, but reduce landscape shading by 1 or 2 levels and texture quality by 1 level.QUOTE]

Why? Does it make any difference?

Wolf_Rider
06-13-2011, 02:37 PM
Best thing to do is to try some of the different settings (on/ off/ reduced) and find what works for you, that which gives you the result you're happiest with

ATAG_Doc
06-13-2011, 02:55 PM
Why not upload the track. I will attempt on my machine and so can others. Just list your settings so we can setup the same settings and see what we get. In their signature (hopefully) you can find their specs and perhaps you can see a pattern.

I would be interested in playing your exact track and post a vid for your review.

Ataros
06-13-2011, 06:05 PM

From menu.

Wolf_Rider
06-14-2011, 01:04 PM
Why not upload the track. I will attempt on my machine and so can others. Just list your settings so we can setup the same settings and see what we get. In their signature (hopefully) you can find their specs and perhaps you can see a pattern.

I would be interested in playing your exact track and post a vid for your review.

QMB... Free Flight - England and fly around the town just near the Radar/ radio towers there.

keep in mind that some stuttering is with hardware (over resourced VGA cards for one, which when present causes stuttering no matter what the setting and some is just low fps judder from lcd monitors... neither of which have anything to do with shadows). There is one building or something which causes stutter (just seaside of the fuel tanks, which causes a bit of stutter no matter what, when flying over but not to one side of)

Model Detail: High
Buildings Detail: Very Low
Land Detail: Low
Forest: Low
Visual Effects: Medium
Texture Quality: Original
AA: 4x
AEF: no
SSAO: no
Vsync: yes
Damage deacals: Medium
Buildings Amount: Low
Land Shading: High
Grass: no
Shadows: no
Roads: yes

Mirror - off

fly over areas with shadows and see stutter and see smooth flight when no shadows in those same areas, except for conditions listed above

335th_GRAthos
06-14-2011, 05:13 PM
[QUOTE=335th_GRAthos;296668]

Why? Does it make any difference?

Becuase had he answered conf.ini we could start a real thread going through the ntty-gridy of the conf.ini ;)

Have you noticed that there is hardly anything on conf.ini manipulation after all these months? Except for the thread adding humans on the ground, I do not remember reading anything...

:)

Vengeanze
06-14-2011, 06:58 PM
[QUOTE=Vengeanze;296672]

Becuase had he answered conf.ini we could start a real thread going through the ntty-gridy of the conf.ini ;)

Have you noticed that there is hardly anything on conf.ini manipulation after all these months? Except for the thread adding humans on the ground, I do not remember reading anything...

:)
Haven't seen any either. Except someone mentioned VisibilityDistance or something. Tried it but didn't make any difference.

Wish someone without wife and kids could make a short manual on every row in the ini-files.
That would be sweet. U married Grathos? ;-)