PDA

View Full Version : Crazy AI?

Biggs
06-01-2011, 04:18 AM
just started playing again after the official patch came out... love a lot of the new fixes...

but i cant help but notice that the AI flies way more 'crazily' than before...

109s will start really fast rolls (FW190 fast) and change roll direction on a dime... it seems that the roll is the new defense maneuver but it seems a bit too optimistic.

Im not saying that the roll rate is wrong but the way they snap from left-hander to right-hander is ridiculous.

and has anyone been able to actually sneak up on any enemy planes. they always notice me just outta range and begin their evasive maneuvers just as I fire even when Im not using tracers. I thought the AI was suppose to be revamped?

drewpee
06-01-2011, 11:46 AM
Yes AI is a pain at the moment. You can critically damage a AI and it will still keep flying and pull incredible evasive maneuvers. That said COD is in its infancy. I'm sure it will all get fixed eventually and as it develops it'll be like xmas every time they over come a problem. So I can say I'm very satisfied with the progress of COD.:)

Rattlehead
06-03-2011, 07:47 AM
The AI is the single biggest thing I have an issue with.

*Insane roll rates
*Strange wing 'waggle' from AI planes from time to time.
*AI barely, if at all, defends itself once it's flying back to base.
*Wingmen are useless, and this includes wingmen of AI leaders.
*AI often ignores enemy planes that are in plain sight. (Even aces)
*AI crashes into other planes, even planes in it's own formation
*Planes that have no business fighting in the vertical do it all the time
...etc.

There are other issues with the AI, but these for me are the main ones.

Rattlehead
06-03-2011, 07:56 AM
Im not saying that the roll rate is wrong but the way they snap from left-hander to right-hander is ridiculous.

and has anyone been able to actually sneak up on any enemy planes. they always notice me just outta range and begin their evasive maneuvers just as I fire even when Im not using tracers. I thought the AI was suppose to be revamped?

The roll rate is definitely wrong. I followed a 109 in a steep dive at nearly 600 km/h and the bugger pulled three snap rolls to the right and instantly two more to the left, whilst my poor plane was trying not to break apart.
I felt insulted at this display of 'superiority' from the AI. :-P

Speaking of sneaking up on enemy planes, I do it all the time. This is feel is fair enough since it is almost impossible to notice a plane coming up from behind and below. This is realistic.
The problem for me is that often when getting shot at and hit, the AI often does not respond at all, especially once it has disengaged from combat.

I've tested this on all AI difficulty levels, and about half the time the AI fails to respond when getting shot at, when flying home.

Biggs
06-03-2011, 07:07 PM
yes I have noticed this too.. once they 'disengage' from a fight and fly back to france its is very hard to get them to mix it up again... the best I could manage was to make them take a single evasive maneouver and then immediately continue on an 'RTB' course.

but this roll rate thing is really getting on my nerves, now i feel it has to be wrong!
It was hard enough to hit them as it was... now with the insane rolling theres almost no point in pursuing them... best to brake off, climb and hope to line them up for a quick deflection shot.

Bloblast
06-03-2011, 08:19 PM
Yes,

I hope the AI will be improved as promised in the June 17th patch.
These are my findings after 130 hours against AI:

I flew around 500 KpH defending bombers and got passed by Hurricanes who flew
40-50 KpH faster. No way I can defend bombers at the moment. Topspeed of AI is clearly too high.

In the climb AI have far more energy than human flown AC.

I shot up AI pretty bad, holes in the wings. But it easily flew away from me with fresh AC.

Wingman is not defending me always when I'm attacked, also no warning from AI.

Some AI going for home base or landing seem to be asleep when being shot, easy prey.

Biggs
06-03-2011, 09:07 PM
oh yeah that reminds me.. about the wingman issues.. when i try to give them an order from the 'tab' options... like group, attack all fighters... i never get any response.. the other three wingmen just follow me around the sky.

can you actually give orders in this game as of right now?

Bloblast
06-03-2011, 09:14 PM
oh yeah that reminds me.. about the wingman issues.. when i try to give them an order from the 'tab' options... like group, attack all fighters... i never get any response.. the other three wingmen just follow me around the sky.

can you actually give orders in this game as of right now?

No not at the moment. Luthier said this will come in the June 17th patch:
"* AI improvements, including at least the majority, if not all, of the order system working."

Halfen
06-12-2011, 06:33 PM
No not at the moment. Luthier said this will come in the June 17th patch:
"* AI improvements, including at least the majority, if not all, of the order system working."

Whole A.I squad of 5 Hurris flew right into the drink with me as I missed the beach . One of them shot my cooler so i was dead-sticking it.

Reminds me of a time when a wingman in an I-16 flew circles around my dead-stick landed I-16. It continued flying these circles until it ran out of fuel and then proceeded to crash, with the A.I. pilot inside.

Don't hold your breath.
On a happier note, saw an Eastern Bluebird today at the birdfeeder. First one I've seen in over twenty-five years.

xnomad
06-16-2011, 12:44 AM
The best AI maneuver is the hand brake in the vertical climb.

You are in a vertical climb behind an AI aircraft. The AI then slows down and forces an overshoot whilst remaining perfectly vertical and still climbing. :rolleyes:

In reality he would stall out.

The kamikaze AI is also too prevalent, many times the guy is on fire and he is still chasing my team mates.

David198502
06-16-2011, 11:23 AM
the hand brake thing is one of the most anoying things.its impossible to lose speed that quick.i just can agree with all your comments.
-roll rate
-speed
-not responding when beeing shot at
-cruising home after combat ignoring totally that they are about to die, a total immersion killer
-crashing into each other(happens ridiculously often when their skill level is set to rookie)
-spits and hurries doing negative g manouvers,and that rapidly that one cant follow with a bf
-no communication with ai possible

ai definitely needs an improvement.but not only the ai but also the whole FM, as mentioned everywhere in this forum, needs to be looked over again and corrected.i hope they do that quick.

Biggs
06-26-2011, 04:00 PM
just an update... from what i can tell with this latest patch, the AI (109s and 110s) still go into crazy roll maneuvers when attacked... the 110 doesnt roll as fast though but the 109 is still ridiculous.

there's no way that its ability to roll that fast is accurate.