PDA

View Full Version : Use Gamebooster or similar software to boost performance

Ataros
05-22-2011, 04:19 PM
Just tried to really fly online for the first time after the recent patches. Earlier this week I was joining servers just to finetune some online missions watching others playing with external views.

To my surprise today inside a cockpit my fps was only about 25-30 compared to 35-50 before recent patches and I started to think I messed up either .net or recent video drivers installation as I reinstalled them after the patches.

As I decided to disconnect and go through all installation procedure once again with quite enough disappointment I alt-tabed to desktop to doublecheck if I forgot to close Firefox browser. The browser was closed but I noticed that I forgot another usual procedure which is launching Gamebooster before playing ArmA2 or CoD. I did not think it would save me from reinstalling all the .net, directx and videodrivers but launched it just as a habit to have everything in order. I alt-tabed back to game and to my huge surprise I saw my usual 35-50 fps and a Bf-109 on my 6.

I new Gamebooster helps to prevent occasional stutters or can give you 2-3 fps unloading some small utilities from memory but I never thought it can make such a difference. Probably it stopped some windows process or an utility conflicting with CoD somehow or eating too much resources.

Just proved to myself that Gamebooster or similar software is a must especially for those who is not happy with CoD performance. Please do not say the game is not optimized before you optimize your PC.

http://www.iobit.com/gamebooster.html

Troll2k
05-22-2011, 05:43 PM
I tried Alacrity(formerly FSautostart) awhile back.I never could figure out how to use it properly.

Doc_uk
05-22-2011, 06:55 PM
Game booster is good, befor my new build, i use to use it all the time:grin:

Tvrdi
05-22-2011, 07:30 PM
Just tried to really fly online for the first time after the recent patches. Earlier this week I was joining servers just to finetune some online missions watching others playing with external views.

To my surprise today inside a cockpit my fps was only about 25-30 compared to 35-50 before recent patches and I started to think I messed up either .net or recent video drivers installation as I reinstalled them after the patches.

As I decided to disconnect and go through all installation procedure once again with quite enough disappointment I alt-tabed to desktop to doublecheck if I forgot to close Firefox browser. The browser was closed but I noticed that I forgot another usual procedure which is launching Gamebooster before playing ArmA2 or CoD. I did not think it would save me from reinstalling all the .net, directx and videodrivers but launched it just as a habit to have everything in order. I alt-tabed back to game and to my huge surprise I saw my usual 35-50 fps and a Bf-109 on my 6.

I new Gamebooster helps to prevent occasional stutters or can give you 2-3 fps unloading some small utilities from memory but I never thought it can make such a difference. Probably it stopped some windows process or an utility conflicting with CoD somehow or eating too much resources.

Just proved to myself that Gamebooster or similar software is a must especially for those who is not happy with CoD performance. Please do not say the game is not optimized before you optimize your PC.

http://www.iobit.com/gamebooster.html

mate, some of us are years in computers and we did optimized our systems....Im using Yamicsoft win7 manager....yes I tried gamebooster too and also manual tweaks including services and registry tweaks...CLOD runs fine on my rig but still there is room for more INGAME optimisations which I hope will be done by 1C. If the "car" is too heavy for current "roads", we must make them lighter without compromising quality. Untill we get better "roads".

JG5_emil
05-22-2011, 08:33 PM
do you use the free version or the paid one?

Ataros
05-22-2011, 08:40 PM
do you use the free version or the paid one?

I am using a free version.

ATAG_Doc
05-22-2011, 11:39 PM
I love it. People will buy anything. I am thinking about getting in on this action. There is a lot of money to be made.

Purg
05-24-2011, 03:52 AM
Unless you have a very marginal PC where you're hitting swap while playing, gamebooster and their ilk are placebos.

My machine is getting close to replacement - i7-920 and GTX295 with 12GB RAM. I run 3 virtual operating systems ontop of my Windows 7 which are largely idle if I'm not focused on them. Regardless of whether I shut down those OS's or not, there's no noticeable difference in performance. Stopping a couple of services (which are likely sleeping anyway) to free up a few MB of RAM doesn't even come close to the resources required to run an XP and 2 Linux VM's as I do.

Timberwolf
05-24-2011, 07:21 AM
one more program to download one more process on my computer I rather have less process on my computer then "boosting my game" I have no problems running the game on high settings with a duel core, stream, freeheadtrack<< have to say it that way infrengment law lol at any rate .. gameboost seemed like a waste of time to me when i bench marked it

Ataros
05-24-2011, 07:24 AM
Unless you have a very marginal PC where you're hitting swap while playing, gamebooster and their ilk are placebos..

That's what I was thinking before starting this thread.

Anyone is free to try it or not. The key here is not freeing memory as it does not help unless you have 2GB RAM or less )) but killing processes that may access your hdd, network, etc. (like 'smart' defrags, torrents, auto-updates, auto-syncs).

Many people just do not have a clue what is running in background while they are playing. I pay a lot of attention to keeping my system clean but still not having computer background I do not know what all these processes that Gamebooster stops do and how much resources they take.

10 fps increase is nice for a placebo effect. I like it. If someone does not, it's their personal preference, I do not mind at all.

bando
05-24-2011, 08:46 AM
Well, I'm using it, never heard of it before. Thanks for the link.

dougandtoni
05-24-2011, 09:41 AM
I gave a friend a hand the other day setting up his computer as he was having trouble running Cliffs of Dover and other games. When i started he had 89 processes running and i have so far got him down to 42 processes with no adverse effects to his normal computing needs and is now able to play COD as he says "very well". But i gotta tell you there was some crap running on his pc:confused:

icetbag
05-25-2011, 12:17 AM
I recently installed GameBooster v2.3 and it has made a noticeable difference in my FPS (for the better). Im averaging around 50-60fps on my Ati 5850 with a mix or High/Medium settings.

Oh, if any of you find you cant drag your game shortcuts into the GameBox, you have to create a desktop shortcut first, then drag that into the box.

Vengeanze
05-25-2011, 05:21 AM
Gae Booster gave me one frame so I'll keep it. :-D

BigPickle
05-25-2011, 11:12 AM
I love it. People will buy anything. I am thinking about getting in on this action. There is a lot of money to be made.

agree'd these programs are rubbish and nothing that you cant do just by going to control panel. Also the funny thing is running an extra program uses and takes away resources from you game.

The people who gain extra frames, uninstall game booster and refine your startup and turn off all the things that are not essential, and turn off windows swanky stuff, and you will get the better fps and have one less process jockying for CPU & RAM and going into your game.

icetbag
05-25-2011, 11:57 AM
agree'd these programs are rubbish and nothing that you cant do just by going to control panel. Also the funny thing is running an extra program uses and takes away resources from you game.

Agreed you can do it yourself assuming you know what each service does and which are safe to terminate. I've heard of people who have stopped/disabled the Remote Procedure Call (RPC) service thinking it wasnt important...couldnt boot their PCs after they rebooted. :rolleyes:

However, the benefit of using such programs is the convenience of disabling several services with one click that you may have need of when not gaming, certainly quicker than going back and forth to the control panel and starting/stopping services.

bolox
08-02-2011, 09:39 PM
try here?
http://www.blackviper.com/2010/12/17/black-vipers-windows-7-service-pack-1-service-configurations/

look for other OS configurations if necessary- and BE CAREFUL- YOU CAN SERIOUSLY STUFF UP YOUR COMPUTER- if you don't know what you are doing