PDA

View Full Version : And now for a change.. let's complain about rivers' colour.

Babi
05-21-2011, 11:05 AM
Serioulsly. i've never seen those dark blue rivers we have in Clod. They are the same colour of the sea; they should be more green/brown.

Strike
05-21-2011, 11:22 AM
Rivers, and water in general usually reflects the ambient light/sky conditions which makes water appear in all different clarities and colours. But that is only one of the factors.

Color changes together with how much soil/sand is being stirred up, what kind of algae lives in the water, what kind of bed the river/ocean is flowing over, how deep it is etc etc et, the list goes on...

Feel free to take the time to change the colour of every single river and how it acts during very many different conditions to suit your liking.

May I point out, so you don't misunderstand me, that I do not think the river and ocean looks realistic in the colour aspect as it doesn't represent the ambient conditions. But even though there are SO many other things to fix that are actually important or dare I say urgent that this is the wrong time to complain about it.

Wait until other stuff is fixed and the devs are actually trying to create new stuff and content, rather than mending and patching up old content, before you bring up negligible stuff like this. Just my two cents ;)

I just seriously don't need another thread full of pics and screenshots of real rivers and game rivers arguing over the colours.

It's also perfect timing since they already fixed/upgraded the colours in the latest patch

Babi
05-21-2011, 12:14 PM
I know that there are many factors that influence rivers colour. Still that's not really an excuse to have them dark blue as the open ocean. You don't need to simulate erosion, soil stirring or algae life cycle to have better looking rivers. Any reasonable attempt to reproduce a more likely colour would be better than what we have now.

Having said that, you're probably right and there are more important things to fix right now. It's just that with the changed scenery colour in the last update (which i really like) the ugly rivers are more noticeable. We have a saying in Italy when something sticks out for being ugly amongst other things, we say "รจ un pugno nell'occhio" wich translates litterally in "it's a punch in the eye" hope i conveyed the idea ;)

Now i'll go and open a thread about the fact that we need darker trees :-P

Vengeanze
05-21-2011, 01:48 PM
Read somewhere that when CloD was released 1C had about 50% of the planned features not implemented.
One was a total remake of water making it more see-through and such.
Maybe next patch. :-D

Strike
05-21-2011, 02:06 PM
that would be highly relevant for sub hunting!