PDA

View Full Version : Custom ability icons, hero model change into a normal unit?

Burut
07-17-2020, 05:27 PM
Doesn't seem to me like it is possible to create custom ability icons because I found the png files that contain the icons, and it's just bunch of icons piled up in one place. Changed the color of the icons (Hue) and the change was visible in game, but I don't have an idea how to change it. Noticed they are marked with BA1 in unit data files. Also was wondering if changing the hero to another unit is possible (under hero I mean Amelie).

Space Knight
07-17-2020, 11:04 PM
ba1_[ability_name]_disabled.png
ba1_[ability_name]_normal.png
ba1_[ability_name]_onmouse.png
ba1_[ability_name]_onpress.png
ba1_[ability_name]_small.png

These are the files you need for an ability. I also linked the files for Ice Dragon's summon ability for you to work on.

Now, adding your ability icon to your unit. Let's take Knights, for example. They have all-around attack (krugom in the unit's .atom file). Its section should look like this:

krugom {
class=moveattack
hinthead=special_knight_head
hint=special_knight_hint
reload=3
base_attack=0
ad_factor=1
picture=ba1_circlestrike_
picture_small=ba1_circlestrike_small.png
options=disablerush,used_if_damaged,6in1
anim_attack=power
damage {
physical=15,20
}

As you can see, it also contains the name for the icon, both regular and small forms. You don't need to include all icons' names in picture field, but only ba1_[ability_name]_, in order for it to work. However, for the small icon you have to link the entire name.

Now onto changing the hero's model. I haven't done this in a long while, so tell me if it works as I say. In data\data.kfs you can find both hero_amelie.atom and hero_main.atom. Extract them. The first one determines the model of the hero in underground areas or buildings while the second one determines the surface model (basically the one with the horse). Now, I think the hero is a very special case compared to the units, regarding models. If you want to only use one unit model for the hero, I suggest cloning that unit model 6 times, and name it like this: [#1][name][#2].bma. [#1] is either 1 or 2. [#2] is either 1, 2 or 3. Now, go to hero_main.atom. Replace specialhero=hero_amelie with specialhero=hero_[name], and

model {
0=amelie2.bma
1=amelie3.bma
}

with

model {
0=[name]2.bma
1=[name]3.bma
}

Also, don't forget to change the animations' names with those of your unit's model. Save the file and open hero_amelie.atom now. Change

model {
0=amelie1.bma
}

into

model {
0=[name]1.bma
}

As well, don't forget the animations. Save and close the files. I'm not sure if this works, but the Amelie hero model is the hardest to understand in all four games.

Burut
07-18-2020, 05:38 PM
Regarding ability icons, where do I find the .png files with the icons (BA1 etc.)?

Space Knight
07-18-2020, 05:42 PM
I'm gonna link some for you now.

Space Knight
07-18-2020, 05:44 PM
Here they are (btw, I forgot to mention that they have borderlines which need to be preserved):

Burut
07-18-2020, 06:08 PM
Found an easier way to edit units textures, without any programs except the png files editor (Photoshop for me). You just transfer the dds file into png and when you are finished with editing the png you convert it back. Now you need to edit the BMA files so the unit that you made reads these new textures you made. It's all gibberish when you open a BMA files but there are 2 important things you need to find. You need to find the _diff of your unit you are trying to edit and the other mask_diff and there, you are set to go. I was really uncertain about downloading any of unknown software to me cause when I started reading their policies I got a bit... disturbed. Maybe didn't explain it that good, might repost it as an actual thread.

Space Knight
07-18-2020, 06:16 PM
Well, I actually did the same thing you described (but my Photoshop can't read .dds....). Btw, did you use a cloned unit model or an existing one?

Burut
07-18-2020, 06:19 PM
I only tried it with an existing file (changed the color of bowman robes) but now I will try with a cloned one.