PDA

View Full Version : Bomb craters

Doc_uk
05-19-2011, 05:17 PM
Have we always had them, or have i not been paying attention to the detail of this game lol
http://img831.imageshack.us/img831/205/shot20110519181132.jpg (http://img831.imageshack.us/i/shot20110519181132.jpg/)

BigPickle
05-19-2011, 05:39 PM
Hmm looks like a new texture mate

Ali Fish
05-19-2011, 06:01 PM
its not too good either.
look to see the bug. this is a plane crash crater.

http://cloud.steampowered.com/ugc/558657320144125645/18676D3761F259DA5B2CD56BF246F7B6A3B732C9/

Plt Off JRB Meaker
05-19-2011, 06:03 PM
Yeah,must be a new thing,I only noticed this today,after I returned to where I had shot down a Stuka.

Flippi'n great hole in my airfield,if you please........bloody cheek!!,you'd think they'd go and die in some other place,other than in an operational airfield,lol.

White Owl
05-19-2011, 06:29 PM
They show up ingame but not in the recorded tracks, for whatever reason. Caught me by surprise when I landed and nearly taxied into one!

Ali Fish
05-19-2011, 07:05 PM
surely its not deforming the terrain ? just a texture isnt it.

Strike
05-19-2011, 08:17 PM
I do wish that they'd do with the airplane ground impact effect as they did with the water splash.. When a plane goes into the water, the effect will shoot in the direction the plane was travelling, and at the height equivalent to angle of impact. (I.E if a plane shallow dives the water will spray forwards, but if the plane impacts vertically it will splash straight upwards like in old IL-2)

Now I wish they'd do the same for the ground effect. If the plane explodes on a shallow angle, the fire from fuelspray should go in the direction the plane was traveling creating a "napalmstrike" effect. Right now the explosion and smoke goes up like a miniature nuke :p which is okay, if the plane went vertically into the ground. The crater texture would also in theory vary between a hole (like now) or a long skid-crater type thing in the direction of the crash. Makes it all the more authentic :)

Heinz Laube
05-19-2011, 09:02 PM
i think, its looks much better than before, 50kg and 500kg Bomber Crater. Plane Crater looks same, just with Plane wreck, fire and smoke in it...

http://img687.imageshack.us/img687/6397/unbenanntzsq.jpg

Baron
05-19-2011, 09:40 PM
I do wish that they'd do with the airplane ground impact effect as they did with the water splash.. When a plane goes into the water, the effect will shoot in the direction the plane was travelling, and at the height equivalent to angle of impact. (I.E if a plane shallow dives the water will spray forwards, but if the plane impacts vertically it will splash straight upwards like in old IL-2)

Now I wish they'd do the same for the ground effect. If the plane explodes on a shallow angle, the fire from fuelspray should go in the direction the plane was traveling creating a "napalmstrike" effect. Right now the explosion and smoke goes up like a miniature nuke :p which is okay, if the plane went vertically into the ground. The crater texture would also in theory vary between a hole (like now) or a long skid-crater type thing in the direction of the crash. Makes it all the more authentic :)

I hope this to. Guess it has something to do with rendering/fps etc.

Maby some day.

Baron
05-19-2011, 09:42 PM
surely its not deforming the terrain ? just a texture isnt it.

Just textures. Iirc they worked on 3D craters but they where very damanding on the system and caused all kind of problems like half a crater going under a building and so on.

Could be remembering it wrong though.

Doc_uk
05-23-2011, 02:43 PM
i think, its looks much better than before, 50kg and 500kg Bomber Crater. Plane Crater looks same, just with Plane wreck, fire and smoke in it...

http://img687.imageshack.us/img687/6397/unbenanntzsq.jpg

When you view the craters close up, like when you crash, you can clearly see a square outline around the crater

Plz remove the Bomb craters, it spoils the game:(

Strike
05-23-2011, 02:45 PM
When you view the craters close up, like when you crash, you can clearly see a square outline around the crater

Plz remove the Bomb craters, it spoils the game:(

Come on now?! It looks way better than without craters!?

Doc_uk
05-23-2011, 02:49 PM
Dont get me wrong from a distance they look ok, but close up they dont
I think they should of spent more time on them, or checked that they looked ok, befor they added them

Tiger27
06-01-2011, 05:42 AM
Dont get me wrong from a distance they look ok, but close up they dont
I think they should of spent more time on them, or checked that they looked ok, befor they added them

But Doc, if you are playing the game you wont be near them unless you crash, so surely it's better with them in than without as in most scenarios they will look quite good.

JG52Krupi
06-01-2011, 07:29 AM
But Doc, if you are playing the game you wont be near them unless you crash, so surely it's better with them in than without as in most scenarios they will look quite good.

Very true and they don't look that bad...

335th_GRAthos
06-02-2011, 11:36 AM
Very true and they don't look that bad...

+1

Really, it is much nicer with than without craters.
Do I understand correctly that a crater on the runway will make landing/take-off impossible?
Wow! This adds a new dimension...

~S~