PDA

View Full Version : A couple of Questions/Points

frozen
05-17-2011, 08:03 PM
Hello All

I've sat on the sidelines for a while and tried to find answers to the following points, but haven't see anything to help. Here goes:

- Despite several threads mentioning patches in this forum, my version number hasn't changed from 1.00.14101 - how do I know this is the latest version? Could I suggest 1C put a sticky somewhere telling all what it is and how to get it.

- I tried to install a beta version of a patch but just downloaded a list of files - please could 1C include some sort of installer or text file explaining what to do with it.

- Has anyone produced a sensible key list (file) that can be used as a 'standard installation' - the 'allocate your own' key set-up seems clumsy. Moreover the flowery manual doesn't seem to give any tips on the practical issues of the game.

- As above but for multiplayer games - am I just supposed to know what to do?

- How about a simple 'random enemy' quick mission? Or even less restrictive groups of enemy - I'd like a couple of 110s, 3 or 4 109s, 8 He111s, half a dozen Ju88s - lots and varied.

Appreciate the Qs/points above are varied; wasn't sure where to put this thread, but any help appreciated.

ATAG_Bliss
05-18-2011, 09:10 AM
Hello All

- Despite several threads mentioning patches in this forum, my version number hasn't changed from 1.00.14101 - how do I know this is the latest version? Could I suggest 1C put a sticky somewhere telling all what it is and how to get it.

Hi Frozen,

Steam will automatically download the latest official version. So there's no need to worry about if you have the actual latest official version. It's done for you (assuming you have the option set for IL2 to keep it up to date in Steam)

- I tried to install a beta version of a patch but just downloaded a list of files - please could 1C include some sort of installer or text file explaining what to do with it.

The files you downloaded have to be manually inserted. For instance, you have the bob and core folders that is listed here (on a typical install) C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\il-2 sturmovik cliffs of dover\parts

Just manually drag and drop them in place and let them rewrite all the files it wants to.

The big thing to remember is if you are unhappy with a beta patch you can let steam "verify game integrity" and it will revert your game back to the latest official patch for you. The other thing to note is that you can not install a beta patch on top of another beta patch. Always start off with the vanilla version before installing any of the beta patches.

- Has anyone produced a sensible key list (file) that can be used as a 'standard installation' - the 'allocate your own' key set-up seems clumsy. Moreover the flowery manual doesn't seem to give any tips on the practical issues of the game.

Not that I know of. Someone else could chime in on this one.

- As above but for multiplayer games - am I just supposed to know what to do?

When you join a MP map, 1st chose your army, then hover your mouse over an airfield until it lists an active one. Make sure you double click on that airfield and you should see a plane selection pop up on the right side of the screen. Select your plane / loadout (this is the important part) and make sure you scroll down to the button of the plane selection menu and you will find a button called "create". That will spawn you.

- How about a simple 'random enemy' quick mission? Or even less restrictive groups of enemy - I'd like a couple of 110s, 3 or 4 109s, 8 He111s, half a dozen Ju88s - lots and varied.

Appreciate the Qs/points above are varied; wasn't sure where to put this thread, but any help appreciated.

Currently you have to set the type of mission up you want through the QMB/FMB, but there are starting to be a few user made missions being posted here. If you want some quick action, using the single missions included in the game are the ticket.

sigintwarrior
05-18-2011, 01:31 PM
Howdy Frozen,
I too am one of those that has alot of questions about the game and playing it, and I rely alot on just reading the various posts. Most of the people here are very helpful, so I am sure someone will be able to answer those questions.

As far as the key assignments, they are confusing to me as well. I found that when I wanted to re-assign keys, that I ended up with the "that key is already assigned to (fill in the blank). Do you wish to reassign it now?". That bothered me, as I was unsure if I should really do that.

I agree with you about the Quick Mission Builder. The format does not allow you to quickly build a mission with different aircraft. I cant even figure out how to change the Nationality on the planes. I.E. I flew a Hurricane against 5 He-111's that had Italian markings.

Thanks for asking these questions. I think I got too used to IL2 1946 and the way it was set up. I thought they would stick with that kind of format.