PDA

View Full Version : Bad plane textures

DB605
05-17-2011, 01:24 PM
Got the new computer and everything else seems to work well with all graphic settings on max but for some reason plane textures are very poor:

http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k40/zx701/2011-05-17_00001.jpg

Anyone know what could cause this?

DB605
05-17-2011, 01:26 PM
Another shot:

http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k40/zx701/2011-05-17_00002.jpg

SNAFU
05-17-2011, 01:35 PM
Welcome to the Cliffs!

Plane textures are simply poor. Skins have 2048x2048 pix, but are JPEG. You better get used to it. ;)

Heinz Laube
05-17-2011, 01:56 PM
i think, he has texture just on "High", instead of "Original"

SNAFU
05-17-2011, 02:24 PM
Well, I use "original" and if you zoom in and have a close look, you see that the skins are rather not of the standard the 3d modell suggests. I my opinion is the JPEG format not good, but thats just my wild guess...

DB605
05-17-2011, 02:40 PM
Welcome to the Cliffs!

Plane textures are simply poor. Skins have 2048x2048 pix, but are JPEG. You better get used to it. ;)

Thanks, actually i have played COD since day one, just got new computer yesterday and forgot to say that plane textures was better on my old rig :)

DB605
05-17-2011, 02:42 PM
i think, he has texture just on "High", instead of "Original"

Yes that was my problem, i thought "high" was better than "original". Thank you!

DB605
05-17-2011, 02:44 PM
Well, I use "original" and if you zoom in and have a close look, you see that the skins are rather not of the standard the 3d modell suggests. I my opinion is the JPEG format not good, but thats just my wild guess...

Agreed, skins seems not to be very good quality.

Blackdog_kt
05-17-2011, 05:51 PM
It's not about the skins, they are very good on high detail. A step by step explanation of what happened?

1) The original textures are large and need a lot of video RAM.

2) A user made a mod that lets us use scaled-down texture resolutions to improve frame rates.

3) People liked it but running mods is a bit iffy at the time due to the Steam anti-cheat protection, so they asked the developers to release a similar solution in an official patch.

4) Reduced texture sizes came in an official patch. Original is the best looking but needs the most performance from your PC and there are also high, medium and low quality options.

5) The selection of which textures to downsize is what's causing these problems. Along with the really big textures (buildings, ground, etc), a lot of small textures were also given low detail versions.

So, when you set texture resolution to anything lower than original, these textures also get downgraded and it makes inscriptions blurry and hard to read.

This also happens in some of the bombsights. I guess that the smaller textures could be kept at the original size, but i'm not sure if they are really separate ones or they are embedded into the rest of the model (which would make it impossible to individually change them back to high resolution).

TheSpitfirePilot
05-17-2011, 06:02 PM
Looks Fine to Me :)

DB605
05-17-2011, 07:04 PM
It's not about the skins, they are very good on high detail. A step by step explanation of what happened?

1) The original textures are large and need a lot of video RAM.

2) A user made a mod that lets us use scaled-down texture resolutions to improve frame rates.

3) People liked it but running mods is a bit iffy at the time due to the Steam anti-cheat protection, so they asked the developers to release a similar solution in an official patch.

4) Reduced texture sizes came in an official patch. Original is the best looking but needs the most performance from your PC and there are also high, medium and low quality options.

5) The selection of which textures to downsize is what's causing these problems. Along with the really big textures (buildings, ground, etc), a lot of small textures were also given low detail versions.

So, when you set texture resolution to anything lower than original, these textures also get downgraded and it makes inscriptions blurry and hard to read.

This also happens in some of the bombsights. I guess that the smaller textures could be kept at the original size, but i'm not sure if they are really separate ones or they are embedded into the rest of the model (which would make it impossible to individually change them back to high resolution).

Yes, i changed textures back to "original" and skins are good now, thought they still could be littlebit better... :)

http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k40/zx701/2011-05-17_00006.jpg

http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k40/zx701/2011-05-17_00007.jpg

http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k40/zx701/2011-05-17_00008.jpg

Ali Fish
05-17-2011, 07:21 PM
i was led to believe those settings do not change plane texture settings, its the models detail settings that does that.

DB605
05-17-2011, 07:44 PM
i was led to believe those settings do not change plane texture settings, its the models detail settings that does that.

Well they certainly did as you could probably see from pics.

Orpheus
05-18-2011, 02:27 PM

Well they certainly did as you could probably see from pics.

That is what Luthier said in the patch info for that release, that the texture slider wouldn't affect the planes, only the ground etc. Sadly the OP is right however, I've seen the same lower quality plane textures with lower texture settings as well, exactly as in the OP's images. And, setting textures back to 'Original' puts them back to normal. Hope Luthier or someone sees this, as there's no way to know (since they stated the opposite) if they're even aware that this happens!

Ali Fish
05-18-2011, 11:56 PM
That is what Luthier said in the patch info for that release, that the texture slider wouldn't affect the planes, only the ground etc. Sadly the OP is right however, I've seen the same lower quality plane textures with lower texture settings as well, exactly as in the OP's images. And, setting textures back to 'Original' puts them back to normal. Hope Luthier or someone sees this, as there's no way to know (since they stated the opposite) if they're even aware that this happens!

i have just test plane textures with low texture settings and original settings, and my plane textures are exactly the same. only model detail changes my plane textures resolutions. nvidia man here, tested on latest patch.

lancerr
05-25-2011, 04:06 PM
i have just test plane textures with low texture settings and original settings, and my plane textures are exactly the same. only model detail changes my plane textures resolutions. nvidia man here, tested on latest patch.

+1

InsaneDruid
05-25-2011, 05:31 PM
Same here, no bad textures on planes, even with lowest texture setting, nvidia, too.

Blackdog_kt
05-26-2011, 03:14 AM
Hmm, that's weird :confused:

Maybe i need to go ahead and do the "backup contols and get the new config files" routine, i've been postponing that and it might have some effect.

Tiger27
05-27-2011, 01:16 AM

Maybe i need to go ahead and do the "backup contols and get the new config files" routine, i've been postponing that and it might have some effect.

It solved a lot of strange textures etc for me, pain in the arse as I had to redo controls but worth it in the long run, IMO.

dougandtoni
05-27-2011, 04:20 AM

Hi How do you go about getting new config files? Cheers

Ali Fish
05-27-2011, 11:57 AM
not really been following this thread since my last comments. but anyway. there seems to be a related bug that gives the impression that the texture qualities are changing. lately on full max settings ive been seeing dodgy plane textures. but as i say theres a bug in there causing this. possibly a memory related thing.

GOZR
06-02-2011, 07:46 PM
Make sure in your confing file your RenderTargetQual= is set to 3

Tbag
06-05-2011, 08:18 AM
Hi How do you go about getting new config files? Cheers

go to your

C:\Users\yourname\Documents\1C SoftClub\il-2 sturmovik cliffs of dover

folder and delete all the config files, they will restore themselves but you will loose all settings that you have changed. It also doesn not hurt to go into the "cache" folder and delete all files in there (but not the folder "shaders"!).

dougandtoni
06-05-2011, 08:47 AM
go to your

C:\Users\yourname\Documents\1C SoftClub\il-2 sturmovik cliffs of dover

folder and delete all the config files, they will restore themselves but you will loose all settings that you have changed. It also doesn not hurt to go into the "cache" folder and delete all files in there (but not the folder "shaders"!).

Awsome. Thank you for your help:grin:

Blackdog_kt
06-06-2011, 05:15 PM
not really been following this thread since my last comments. but anyway. there seems to be a related bug that gives the impression that the texture qualities are changing. lately on full max settings ive been seeing dodgy plane textures. but as i say theres a bug in there causing this. possibly a memory related thing.

I saw this too before we got the option to downgrade texture quality, it seemed like there was not enough video RAM to load everything at once and it was loading partially in stages: first a blurry texture, then a slightly better one and so on.

This was more noticeable on the more complex twin engined cockpits.

Since the patch that added the option to downgrade texture quality i haven't been getting this at all in single seaters, probably there's enough VRAM available to load the cockpits in one go now that i've downgraded the landscape textures .
I still get an initial occurrence of it the first time i spawn into a bomber, but then it's probably cached and it's ok for the remainder of missions i fly on the same aircraft.

Orpheus
06-07-2011, 02:36 PM
I saw this too before we got the option to downgrade texture quality, it seemed like there was not enough video RAM to load everything at once and it was loading partially in stages: first a blurry texture, then a slightly better one and so on.

This was more noticeable on the more complex twin engined cockpits.

Since the patch that added the option to downgrade texture quality i haven't been getting this at all in single seaters, probably there's enough VRAM available to load the cockpits in one go now that i've downgraded the landscape textures .
I still get an initial occurrence of it the first time i spawn into a bomber, but then it's probably cached and it's ok for the remainder of missions i fly on the same aircraft.

I've seen it occasionally too, more frequently on twin-engines. Ali & I were discussing it a week or two back and came to the conclusion that it might be an LOD issue. Planes only render fully at a certain distance; it seems as though occasionally it applies the lower texture resolution to the player airframe (as if it were being seen at a distance), before 'switching up' to the full res texture.

While the issue doesn't seem to happen very often, I wonder if it might be related to high GPU/CPU load. I've noticed that on quitting the game, launcher.exe sometimes takes several minutes to shutdown & vanish from the active tasks list (often resulting in two or more launcher.exe's running simultaneously), and there's been speculation of memory leaks (http://forum.1cpublishing.eu/showpost.php?p=289335&postcount=256) (not clearing the loaded AI at the end of a mission, leading to noticeable performance degradation (http://forum.1cpublishing.eu/showpost.php?p=289772&postcount=260) over time) in the mission system. This gradual degradation could hog up enough memory to cause issues with the LOD engine during sustained play; texture load glitches like this would be exactly the sort of thing I'd expect to see.