PDA

View Full Version : Nvidia latest driver halves fps (on my GTX480 at least)

MadTommy
05-14-2011, 10:16 AM
Recently my fps has taken a nose dive.. i thought it was caused by the recent beta patches, but at the same time i was having the odd display driver kernel crash, which i had never had before.

So i've done some lengthy troubleshooting and have come to the conclusion that the latest Nvidia drivers; 270.61 were the cause.

By using a driver cleaner and rolling back to 266.58 my fps has at least doubled. Gone from 35 over water to 70+ and from 20 over land to 50+ (testing using the free flight over England)

I'm in NO doubt it is the drivers.. trust me i have tested this thoroughly. This might be just the GTX480, it might just be my rig.. but there is a heads up for any Nvidia users.

I read reports of Nvidia's support pages for these drivers causing cards to down clock, i'm not sure if this was happening to me.. but the results of rolling back are clear. Make sure you clean any trace of the current drivers. If you are not sure how follow this thread. (http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=16154)

:grin:

Sauf
05-14-2011, 10:40 AM
You might be on to something there mate, I to noticed a big drop in frames with the patch, though Im sure 270 driver gave a small fps increase when it was released, maybe a conflict with the patch? Will roll back and give it a test.

EDIT, well I seen a slight improvement, with 266.58 on my test track my average fps went up by 5 and my min which in MP and the test track was hitting 0 was 5 as well, what nvidia settings are you using for COD Madtommy?

MadTommy
05-14-2011, 11:51 AM
what nvidia settings are you using for COD Madtommy?

Right now i'm using all default... just to give me a base rate. But i'll play about with them and post back any results.