PDA

View Full Version : Dot range

SYN_Per
05-13-2011, 02:00 PM
I´m wondering if anyone knows how to change the dot range and size and whatnot for a server? We currently have it set at mp_dotrange DOT 20

We find on the SYNDICATE server that you can chase a dot around for some time, only to have it dissappear when you get closer and then it shows again as you get even closer. It´s that transition that´s a no go at the moment. Perhaps it´s possible to change the color of the dot, or rather it´s contrast?
Hope you understand what I mean and that you can help me out.

Cheers!

SYN_Per

Troll2k
05-13-2011, 02:28 PM
In the il2 1946 dedicated server if you type at the command prompt:
"help mp_dotrange" (without the quotes) you will get the parameters.

klem
05-16-2011, 12:26 PM
I´m wondering if anyone knows how to change the dot range and size and whatnot for a server? We currently have it set at mp_dotrange DOT 20

We find on the SYNDICATE server that you can chase a dot around for some time, only to have it dissappear when you get closer and then it shows again as you get even closer. It´s that transition that´s a no go at the moment. Perhaps it´s possible to change the color of the dot, or rather it´s contrast?
Hope you understand what I mean and that you can help me out.

Cheers!

SYN_Per

Hi SYN_Per. Two possibilities here.

Your server has the same dot problem I find on all servers. In the console, mp_dotrange tells me 14km or 20km or even higher but at the moment it seems to be stuck on about 8km.

At least, at that range (as estimated from servers that have map icons) the very visible dot suddenly disappears. Sometimes I think can just make out the very faintest grey dot but most often it seems to have gone altogether. So, that may actually be what you are seeing.

My buddies have the same problem. It's an immersion killer.

Now, that may be a "LOD" type issue in that the next dot size down is a ridiculous jump to almost nothing or it could be a bug in the dot range software. Whatever, its a real pain in the ar$e.

On the other hand we have the 'phantoms', those flying aircrew abandoned by their terminated(?) aircraft. As you approach them they get larger until, I would say, a couple of km away when they suddenly disappear. Then they re-appear just as you are about to pass them and the go whizzing by, or, they only re-appear behind you when you have passed them.

Hope you can find an answer and thanks for the server, we enjoy it in spite of the dots and phantoms problems. :)

SYN_Jed
05-16-2011, 01:19 PM
Just for info we changed the dotrange to 15km now...seems better somehow....meh

Winger
05-16-2011, 02:56 PM
Just for info we changed the dotrange to 15km now...seems better somehow....meh

Hey. Didnt fly there yet today but i hope your adjustment helped.
What i think could be the reason for this issue is the jump from dotrendering to rendering the actual 3D-model. I think the distance at wich the mode switches from dot to modelrendering is a little too big resulting in the model being almost invisible due to its smallness. If one could reduce the distance border at wich the plane gets rendered as 3D-model instead of a dot this could help with this issue.
I hope my english is good enough to show my point in that.

Winger

SYN_Jed
05-17-2011, 09:00 AM
Spot on Winger. Think this is excactly what was happening before....defo seems better now.

SYN_Per
05-17-2011, 09:22 AM
Thx guys for replies! As Jed said dot range 15 seems to create a smoother transition between LOD renders and that's good. Perhaps we loose some in the ability to spot contacts at a slightly larger distance, but win some, loose some.
@Klem: Yeah mate, I really hope those little phantoms are delt with in next patch. I have chased down those contacts far to many times to enjoy it! :-D

Thx guys for flying the Syndicate server!

Winger
05-17-2011, 03:39 PM
What i also noticed is the dots remaining fully visible when behind clouds. Seems that the clipping of those points is kind of broken or can that be dealt with by serverhosters?

Winger

phoenix1963
05-17-2011, 04:17 PM
What i also noticed is the dots remaining fully visible when behind clouds. Seems that the clipping of those points is kind of broken or can that be dealt with by serverhosters?

Winger

Even more annoyingly, ship dots are visible through clouds. So they look like formations of bombers against the cloud. We were mislead by that on the (excellent) SYN server recently.

56RAF_phoenix

Jugdriver
05-17-2011, 10:51 PM
I was thinking that the dot disappearance is the angle of the aircraft you are observing changing; for instance when you see the dot you are looking at a broadside view of the aircraft and when it disappears the aircraft has turned towards you or away from you giving you a much smaller silhouette.

JD
AKA_MattE