PDA

View Full Version : Attention Mission Builders - History teacher Needs Help

petertheelf
05-09-2011, 04:19 AM
Good Evening Gentlemen,

I am a History teacher, working in a small international school. I am about to teach a unit on the Battle of Britain, and the London blitz, as part of the World War Two project. I would like to use "Cliffs of Dover" as a platform for showing the students what a dogfight in the BoB would have looked like, as well as the Blitz on London. CoD is ideal as it has London landmarks and is much better than 1946, where I had to get another city to pretend to be London, plus, the graphics are a lot better.

Alas my mission building skills are not yet up to the task.

I'm asking the community to help by making a mission, track file, or both, for the daytime dogfights over East England, particularly showing of the maneuverability of the Spitfire, as well as the 109 pilots bailing out, which was a huge tactical advantage, as well as a mass, night time raid on London, with loads of barrage balloons, flack and searchlights (possibly a Dauntless or two thrown in), but plenty of bombs and fires.

I don't need a meticulously detailed painstaking effort, but I am sure an experienced mission maker would be able to put together a perfectly suitable mission, or a track file which will get the ideas I need across to the students, in far shorter time than it would take me.

In case you are wondering, Rome Total War was fabulous for teaching about the army in ancient Rome for the year sevens, and I'm sure some flashy graphics from CoD would be better than dragging out a dusty old documentary for the year tens.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Peter

pupo162
05-09-2011, 08:36 AM
uhmmmm

yo uwont get lucky yet.

At least if you wish for a Track or mission. You will msot likely need a video, since the game will lag a lot if you try to simulate a massive raid.

SNAFU
05-09-2011, 09:27 AM
G`day Peter,

Interesting approach for teaching history... ;) Don´t know if can help your course, but maybe some inputs are apreciated.

A massive daytime raid of He111, Do17 and a few Ju88 could be recorded with 1/4-time setting and accelerated for the video, that could work around lag and FPS issues.

To show the better sustained rate of turn of the spit compared with a 109 in a video, might cause some headache. You would definatly need some human players, maybe a not a large encouter but a 2 vs 2. But to demonstrate the burden of the pilots you might think of showing young men, still boys, sitting for hours gathered together a shack, lost in thoughts and waiting for the phone call, switching them from the easy, relaxed comfort of a garden chair into a full-scale war in about a second, knowing that the chances they won´t return are high. Furthermore the aspect of sitting in the narrow cockpit of a hurricane, spit or 109, right between hunders of liters of gas, constantly fighting an enemy you rarly see, but enduring the coldness, the sting of 100% oxygen burnt lungs, with a mix of frozen snot and tears on your face, while trying to ignore the pain in your eardrums, which is caused by the sudden pressure change in your dive, knowing that you will die alone, most likely burn alive, when your time comes. Well, that will be difficult to show with CloD, but the in my opinion the more important themes to teach young people.

A night raid might not be that impressive, due to that no large formations would be seen, the field of view in a camera is comparative small and the London large. At night, the streams of bombers flew solitary on a path and shuffled for deconflicting.

What is your time scale? Maybe I could help you with providing the a mission setup for some situation, but I cannot help you recoding, due to lack of experience with video art. But that mainly depends on the time you can wait, cause my time is limited at the moment, also have to make some skins our squad.

Best regards
snafu

Rattlehead
05-09-2011, 09:54 AM
as well as a mass, night time raid on London, with loads of barrage balloons, flack and searchlights (possibly a Dauntless or two thrown in), but plenty of bombs and fires.

Hi Peter

Unfortunately you don't know what you're asking for. You will need a realy beefy PC for the above scenario.
Unless you have a pretty fast computer, you may want to scale down one or two ideas.

Bungmiester
05-09-2011, 10:11 AM
I should use clips from the battle of Britain film if I was you, would be a lot easier at the mo and save yourself the Hassle :rolleyes: