PDA

View Full Version : Dedicated server software??

Storm of When
05-05-2011, 08:10 AM
I thought I read in a Feb dev post that dedicated server software was going to be in the game on release, what are the plans for getting it into the game please.

Blackrat
05-05-2011, 08:23 AM
I thought I read in a Feb dev post that dedicated server software was going to be in the game on release, what are the plans for getting it into the game please.

A few posts down (http://forum.1cpublishing.eu/showthread.php?t=22038)is your answer

Storm of When
05-05-2011, 09:30 AM
I don`t think that is the answer mate, i`m on about a console type system ie FBDj or SC which makes creating and running a dedicated server simple. You guy`s are doing a great job editing the mis files etc to create servers and thats all well and good if you have a grasp of what`s what in those files and how they work, however despite following those instructions to the best of my ability our attempt at running a server is patchy at best.

When they stated dedicated server software would be in at release I thought they meant an SC or FBDj style console system, I didn`t expect to be attempting to edit .mis and .sc files with notepad. So if the dedicated server that they stated would be in at release is the method you guys are employing (is there any dev input in that thread?) then fair enough, if however they were intending to have a console style system my original question is still valid.

epoch
05-05-2011, 09:56 AM
I think it is the answer mate.

Basically you run launcher.exe -server and you have it running as a dedi.

I'm doing that right now from my dedi box hosted out of London.

Can help more if you need, but there's a few threads in this very forum that have been invaluable in getting me sorted with my server.

Pic - IL2 dedi server

http://www.tacteam.org/epoch/il2ded.jpg

The dedi server setup thread is a little confusing at first read, as it's covering two essentially different topics at the same time. One is actually getting the server configured and running. The other is editing a mission to ensure wrecks are destroyed so they don't clutter the map. There's a post here (http://forum.1cpublishing.eu/showpost.php?p=265872&postcount=2) with the 1940 map & missions everyone's using at the moment. If you grab that you can ignore the bit about editing, as it's already in the mission. Then you just need to concentrate on sorting your server config.

Happy to help if you need it, but peer assistance on the forums is preferable in order to maximise benefit to others.

Blackrat
05-05-2011, 09:57 AM
Okay sorry mate, from what I have read what we got is it for now until someone comes up with a third party solution.

Storm of When
05-05-2011, 12:42 PM
Yeh cheers, what i`m struggling with is creating a cycle and getting the missions to destroy the AI after it lands etc. We`re getting error messages along the lines of a" cannot be used, the server ping starts at about 40ms when I start the server, but rises to about 170 within a couple of hours and the map thats running becomes littered with dead AI, and I think it timeouts and then refuses to let me join. I would appreciate it if someone could send me the files required to create a small cycle, i`ve got three maps from the site (thx to makers) but perhaps i`ll re-dload the later versions.

This is what I do at the minute:

start server from Steam

enter f settings.cmd

then missLoad missions\UK4\128BoFv1_6.mis

then battle start.

Cheers
Ian

epoch
05-05-2011, 12:51 PM
Regarding the error message, check this (http://forum.1cpublishing.eu/showthread.php?t=21927&page=4) page.

I start my server from the command line, e.g.:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam>steam.exe -silent -login MySteamLogin MySteamPassword -applaunch 63950 -server

I'll probably use FireDaemon to manage this automatically, once I've worked out how to automate the first steps (f settings.cmd and loading the first mission).

Regarding mission cycling, you could use multiple cmd files, for example:

Start with f mission1.cmd, which will stop any existing battle and load MyFirstMission.mis

battle stop

missLoad missions/Multi/Dogfight/MyFirstMission.mis

timeout 180.00 chat Welcome to My Server ALL
timeout 340.00 chat Maps rotate Every 4 hours ALL
timeout 14200.000 chat Map will change in 3 minutes ALL
timeout 14260.000 chat Map will change in 2 minutes ALL
timeout 14320.000 chat Map will change in 1 minutes ALL
timeout 14400.000 f mission2.cmd
battle start

After 4 hours the above mission will end and call mission2.cmd, for example:

battle stop

missLoad missions/Multi/Dogfight/MySecondMission.mis

timeout 180.00 chat Welcome to My Server ALL
timeout 340.00 chat Maps rotate Every 4 hours ALL
timeout 14200.000 chat Map will change in 3 minutes ALL
timeout 14260.000 chat Map will change in 2 minutes ALL
timeout 14320.000 chat Map will change in 1 minutes ALL
timeout 14400.000 f mission1.cmd
battle start

After 4 hours MySecondMission will end and the first file will be called again. Rinse and repeat, or add more .cmd files as required.

Hope that helps.

Regards
epoch

Storm of When
05-05-2011, 03:04 PM
Cheers, when you say multiple cmd files, are these individual files created under the title xxxx.cmd and placed in the same area as the settings.cmd I created, or do I type the text as u posted into the same place as I type the intial set of commands I posted previously. Sry for my computer illiteracy but it`s all new to me, i`ve been sorting out UK Dedicated 3`s UltraPack IL2 server for years but this is all new to me.

Storm of When
05-05-2011, 03:15 PM
Thx, I took the bull by the horns, did what you said and have had some sucess, thk you very much sir. I`ll check it in 4 hours.

epoch
05-05-2011, 04:15 PM
Yes - put the files in the same folder as settings.cmd.

Thee_oddball
05-06-2011, 01:30 AM
sorry guys perhaps i will redo my HOW TO and make it a little more thorough :)

epoch
05-06-2011, 06:58 AM
Lol no worries mate. I couldn't have got my server going without your howto, so it did it's job. I'm sure I'm not the only one to have benefited. Thanks for taking the time to do it.

Storm of When
05-06-2011, 02:19 PM
Yeh thx indeed.

We keep getting this message appearing, any clue as to why.

can`t use keys or values with a "

Sometimes there are 10 rows of the same message, usually prior to the server stopping.

Thx

epoch
05-06-2011, 02:29 PM
Mate I replied to you about that error in post #7 in this thread!

Storm of When
05-06-2011, 02:37 PM
Sry, thx just read the link, i`ll ignore it.