PDA

View Full Version : Single Player Game Play

Oh Chute!
05-04-2011, 10:47 PM
I don't utilize multi-player on line game play. Can any one give me a constructive take on COD single-player mission and how it is all functioning. I want to purchase the game. Have followed all the lead ups and waited for the release but, have read way too much negative opinion for me to make a decision so far. Any help would be appreciated.

i7-920@3.4Ghz
6 GB 1600 Memory
MSI Geforce 460 1 GB
Thrustmaster HOTAS
Win7-64 bit

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"I'd rather have a two hour bladder and three hours of gas than vice versa."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Rince
05-05-2011, 12:56 AM
Just go ahead!
Im very much into all that flying stuff and all i can say: Get an TrackIR and learn your lessons on the solo-player stuff as long as it takes (there is not much right now but concentrate on the basics theres enough to learn)! Enjoy the flying, get some shoot downs! There`s loads of tutorials in this forum for the basic and may be that we meet some day face to face, or maybe in a coop later on! ;)

Btw, you read in every forum loads of negativ stuff, but it`s up to you to make YOUR decision into playing what ya like or what the others `re playin! Negativ remarks `re very selective especially in forums!

Hope to see everyone soon!
Greetz, Rince!

Oh Chute!
05-05-2011, 01:49 AM
Just go ahead!
Im very much into all that flying stuff and all i can say: Get an TrackIR and learn your lessons on the solo-player stuff as long as it takes (there is not much right now but concentrate on the basics theres enough to learn)! Enjoy the flying, get some shoot downs! There`s loads of tutorials in this forum for the basic and may be that we meet some day face to face, or maybe in a coop later on! ;)

Btw, you read in every forum loads of negativ stuff, but it`s up to you to make YOUR decision into playing what ya like or what the others `re playin! Negativ remarks `re very selective especially in forums!

Hope to see everyone soon!
Greetz, Rince!

Thanks for replying Rince. I'm a long time IL2 fan/player and want to migrate to IL2 COD. However it is the game functioning and performance in single player mission that I'm most interested in hearing about. I'm more than willing to purchase the game but, alas not if it has to sit on the shelf and await multiple patches to be playable. I'd like to hear from those who have game time and maybe about some of the stuff I should be aware of in terms of performance expectations and common issues that had to be overcome.

janpitor
05-05-2011, 08:21 AM
So far there is a problem with communications...you can hear other planes but you cant order them anything. The campaign engine lacks awards and medals etc. I hope these things will be fixed soon. The training is good and even if you are a long time il2 player you will have initial difficulties with complex engine management. So...until the features are fixed, you will have plenty to enjoy/learn in quick missions

Bartoszcze
05-05-2011, 09:11 AM
I haven't played the Luftwaffe campaign yet, but the British one is very nice. It's very immersive, due to those little stories which are dependent on how you play the campaign. Like said before, there are problems with controlling your wingmen, but I didn't find it annoying, as usually after disengaging from combat we returned to base separately :)

Oh Chute!
05-05-2011, 05:17 PM
Thanxs for the feed back guys. I appreciate it. I've been trying to glean as much as I can from the different threads but responses are more geared to individual issues and it's difficult to get a "big picture" of how the game is functioning on the whole.

CM 922 HAF
PC Silencer 750W PSU
Gigabyte GA-X58-UD3R
Intel i7-920 OC@3.4GHz
Corsair H50 push-pull
KrazeMaster fan controller
6GB Corsair XMS3-1600C9
MSI GForce GTX 460 OC@783MHz
60GB OCZ SSD HD
160GB Seagate NCQ
Thrustmaster HOTAS
Win7 64 bit

"If you're in a fair fight, you didn't plan it properly."

Rattlehead
05-05-2011, 06:18 PM
The cem alone will keep you busy for a long time. I had oil all over my windscreen within 3 minutes after first trying it out, but it gets rewarding as you learn about what keeps the bird ticking over.
As for single missions, well I've tried a few and they're fine...but to be honest I prefer making my own in the FMB and then putting them in the single missions folder. (I have quite a few to keep me busy.)

But the comms aren't working...not such a big deal if you just want a quick dogfight, but it's getting a bit annoying if you want to create or play a mission with more depth to it.
The AI is...inconsistent. Sometimes they'll play by the rules and sometimes (actually a lot) they will pull off moves that have you staring in blank astonishment.

Even so, the damage modelling is off the charts and every now and then I go through this zen moment when it all becomes crystal clear and I realise just what incredible potential this game has.
(Keyword is potential.)

Oh Chute!
05-05-2011, 09:30 PM
The cem alone will keep you busy for a long time. I had oil all over my windscreen within 3 minutes after first trying it out, but it gets rewarding as you learn about what keeps the bird ticking over.
As for single missions, well I've tried a few and they're fine...but to be honest I prefer making my own in the FMB and then putting them in the single missions folder. (I have quite a few to keep me busy.)

But the comms aren't working...not such a big deal if you just want a quick dogfight, but it's getting a bit annoying if you want to create or play a mission with more depth to it.
The AI is...inconsistent. Sometimes they'll play by the rules and sometimes (actually a lot) they will pull off moves that have you staring in blank astonishment.

Even so, the damage modelling is off the charts and every now and then I go through this zen moment when it all becomes crystal clear and I realise just what incredible potential this game has.
(Keyword is potential.)

Thanx's Rattlehead. Fantastic imagery! Anything on single player campaign? Is it relative to IL2 1946, and how do the overall flight characteristics compare? I likes po'tential but, I do need communication with my flight element even in single player. Kind of leaves a guy with wingman as effective in a dogfight as a bumper sticker on the tail saying "baby on board".

It was my view that no kill was worth the life of a wingman. . . . Pilots in my unit who lost wingmen on this basis were prohibited from leading a [section]. The were made to fly as wingman, instead.
— Colonel Erich 'Bubi' Hartmann, GAF.

Rattlehead
05-05-2011, 09:56 PM
Thanx's Rattlehead. Fantastic imagery! Anything on single player campaign? Is it relative to IL2 1946, and how do the overall flight characteristics compare?

I've barely touched the campaign...I think I'm on the third mission of the British campaign, so I'm not the best person to ask in that regard.

I prefer the flight characteristics of CoD, not that I have anything to gripe about in 1946, but the planes feel a little less skittish (I can't think of a better word at the moment) and in my opinion it's easier to aim exactly where you want to in CoD.
I'd like to give you more detailed info on the flight characteristcs, but I'm learning this game still, especially the cem part. All I can say is that it feels authentic enough to me not to spot anything blatantly out of place or inaccurate.
People are having a bit of a moan about certain planes like for instance the 109 not performing quite up to the standard of the real thing, but I'm sure these are things that will be patched in time.

Landings are definitely easier as compared to 1946. Especially with the 109.
We've had this discussion on other threads, so you may want to find those.
Basically, the added detail and higher texture resolution has made it a lot easier to see the runway as compared to 1946.
In 1946 I had to really strain my eyes to see runways from any kind of appreciable distance, but not so now.
It's much easier to spot the runway and prepare your landing, imo.

Another thing where this game scores over 1946, imo, is that for me it was damn near impossible to play with icons off in 1946. I could not for the life of me spot enemy fighters unless they were right on top of me.
Now it's perfectly possible (not to mention more authentic) to play with icons off. You can spot bombers from miles away, and even the fighters are not hard to spot at all, unless they're at a lower altitude.
Even then, with a bit of practice, it's quite possible to spot a 'bogey' flying on the deck.
It feels so much more realisitic, and there is no way I can ever go back to flying with icons on.

Oh Chute!
05-06-2011, 02:31 AM
Thanx's again Rattlehead. This kind of info I can understand. I guess the waiting and waiting and the many set backs were well worth the anxiety. :-) I think I'll wait for the new patch to come out and see what's been fixed and or added before purchasing. Steam usually takes a bit longer to update as it is.

I appreciate the time and effort Oleg and crew have put in to this sim release and I hope it has a bright future.

"Every time I fly commercial and I'm forced to remove my shoes, I'm grateful Richard Reid is not known as the Underwear Bomber."