PDA

View Full Version : Clean uninstall HOWTO

=FPS=Salsero
05-04-2011, 08:32 AM
Hi, guys,

could anyone provide me with a HOWTO, explaining in details deactivation and deinstallation of the game, including Steam? I mean, deactivating the game, saving the account details etc. for some point in future. I have already backed up the game.

I guess that running uninstall from the Control Panel may be not exactly the Right Thing To Do.

W0ef
05-04-2011, 08:49 AM
Can you explain maybe what you mean with de-activating the game?

Does it matter if it's "active" or "de-active" in the first place?

You know this isn't a MMO with a monthly fee you have to pay if you don't de-activate right?

So that being said, yes, just use your bloody control panel. and if you want to be real sure you deleted everything delete the 1C Softclub folder in your documents and the Cliffs of Dover stuff in your steamapps.

Dano
05-04-2011, 09:01 AM
Can you explain maybe what you mean with de-activating the game?

Does it matter if it's "active" or "de-active" in the first place?

You know this isn't a MMO with a monthly fee you have to pay if you don't de-activate right?

So that being said, yes, just use your bloody control panel. and if you want to be real sure you deleted everything delete the 1C Softclub folder in your documents and the Cliffs of Dover stuff in your steamapps.

The game when originally released had an activation limit so it's a valid question with no need to get arsey.

In response you do not need to, the activations were removed in one of the initial patches, all you need to do is make a note of your Steam login and password, when you wish to re-install just install Steam, login with your details and and games on your account including CloD will be waiting for you to download to restore from a backup.

So long as you have your Steam details safe you can indeed just use the add/remove programs control panel applet.

=FPS=Salsero
05-04-2011, 09:04 AM
I have never used the Steam in my life. I have heard something about game activation count. I am using the Russian version, if this matters.

So what I want is to decrease that "activation count" to zero (I presume it is == 1 now), and after that to get rid of CoD and Steam.

Can not find any self-evident way to do that.

------------------

Thank you very much, Dano.

Codex
05-04-2011, 09:08 AM
You can't "de-activate" your copy of CoD, it's tied to your STEAM account for ever.

EDIT: You wont run out of activations for CoD however, you have a max of 3 actiavtions so you can install YOUR copy of CoD on three different PC's. Once you use those 3, you will get 1 additional activation / month up to a maximum of 3. You can install CoD on the same PC with no limits.

UBISoft FAQ for CoD:

Is it possible to revoke an installation?
Revocations are not considered, since users get one new activation per month, so if you do somehow manage to burn through your three activations, you only need to wait one month or contact support.

Pluto
05-04-2011, 09:20 AM
... you can just deinstall it and reinstall it again, no problem with steam. They keep your data that you gave them the first time you installed and activated it. So if you install it again, you can keep your old settings etc.,... they will be automatically downloaded again from steam for the new installation.
And if you f.... up your game and cant get it running anymore, steam can also repair that and fix your game.
:)

Dano
05-04-2011, 09:26 AM
You can't "de-activate" your copy of CoD, it's tied to your STEAM account for ever.

EDIT: You wont run out of activations for CoD however, you have a max of 3 actiavtions so you can install YOUR copy of CoD on three different PC's. Once you use those 3, you will get 1 additional activation / month up to a maximum of 3. You can install CoD on the same PC with no limits.

UBISoft FAQ for CoD:

Is it possible to revoke an installation?
Revocations are not considered, since users get one new activation per month, so if you do somehow manage to burn through your three activations, you only need to wait one month or contact support.

The activations malarky was removed Codex.

W0ef
05-04-2011, 12:23 PM
I didn´t mean to sound arsey, my apologies if I did, I just didn´t get what he meant exactly.

Codex
05-04-2011, 10:22 PM
The activations malarky was removed Codex.

Really!?

Shows you how many times I've installed it then ... LOL

VF-51_Cobraj
05-09-2011, 03:12 AM
Important:

This process will remove Steam and any installed game content from your machine. If reinstalling Steam and Steam games in the near future, please move the Steamapps folder (C:\Program Files\Steam\Steamapps) outside of the Steam directory to prevent your games from being deleted. Additionally, backups of all game content can be created for reinstallation.

Warning:
The uninstallation process deletes the folder Steam was installed to to ensure it is fully uninstalled. If you accidentally installed Steam to a folder containing other data, for example C:\Program Files\ instead of C:\Program Files\Steam\, STOP! Do not run the uninstaller and instead carefully follow the instructions below for Manually Removing Steam, except only delete Steam-related files in step 3.

Please observe the following procedure to uninstall Steam and any game content from your machine:

Exit Steam

Move the Steamapps folder out of C:\Program Files\Steam to keep game installations

Click the Windows Start button and select Control Panel

Open the Add or Remove Programs dialog

Select Steam from the list and click the Change/Remove button

Select the Automatic option and click Next

Click Finish to uninstall Steam

If the normal process to uninstall Steam does not work, you may have inadvertently damaged your Steam installation. To uninstall Steam, you may first be required to re-install Steam to repair the installation before it may be removed.

The latest Steam installer can be found on the Get Steam Now page.
If all of the above options fail to assist you in uninstalling Steam, you can still remove your Steam files and registry entries manually.

Manually Removing Steam

Warning:
Dealing with your registry requires extreme care. Do not delete anything in your Windows registry that you are unsure about. For this reason, we suggest you only use this option as a last resort.

Exit Steam.

Navigate to your Steam directory. (Typically C:\Program Files\Steam or C:\Program Files\Valve\Steam

If you wish to save your game files for a future installation of Steam, copy your steamapps folder outside of your Steam directory.

Delete all of the contents of your Steam directory.

Go to Start > Run and type in regedit.

For 32-bit operating systems:
In the left-hand column of your registry editor, navigate to: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Valve\.

Right-click on Valve and select Delete.

For 64-bit operating systems:
In the left-hand column of your registry editor, navigate to: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Valve\.

Right-click on Valve and select Delete.

In the left-hand column of your registry editor, navigate to: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Valve\Steam.
Right-click on Valve select Delete.
Close your Registry Editor.